View Single Post
Old 2008-05-27, 20:57   Link #1912
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastilin View Post
My point isn't that the servants aren't copies. My point is the states of being a "Counter Guardian" and being a "Spirit resident on the throne of heroes" are not absolutely linked. Most Servants are Spirits resident on the throne without being Guardians. In order to be come a eirai, they need to have a an existence worshipped by humanity. In order to become a Guardian, one needs to make a pact with Akasha at which point their soul is removed from the cycle and placed on the throne of heroes.

I'm not sure how to better explain it. They're all on the throne of heroes but not all of them are Guardians. Archer is the only Guardian mentioned so far in any of the Fate stories that I know of.
The difference between Archer and the other Servants is that he is a Counter-Guardian; due to his pact with Akasha, he is only summoned in instances where the continual existence of humanity is threatened by humanity and nothing else.

Quote:
He says this in UBW but I'm not sure which day. It's either the interlude when he's in the castles basement with a tied-up Rin or the epilogue after the game ends where he extrapolates on his answer. Probably the first, I'm not going to look it up, it'll take at least half an hour.
You find this out from Rin in the first Interlude in Day 15.

Also in the epilogue of UBW, during his PoV of his fight VS Shirou, he flat out states that only his current summoning will remember his "answer", that he will forever curse this event.

This isn't because Archer retains his memories like Saber, its because like all eirais, he receives records of his accomplishments within the Throne of Heroes. The big difference is because he's only summoned as a Counter-Guardian, his records contain practically nothing but his very impressive kill record.

ie:

Summoned in 1965 and killed 45,754 people.
Summoned in 2542 and killed 233,432 people.
Summoned in 1850 and killed 500 people.

Within one of those records will likely be something saying he was summoned in the 5th Heaven's Feel, fought till the end, yet he somehow still exists. He wouldn't know that his summoned self had found his answer and spared his former existence, he'll assumed he failed somehow so he'll still continue to seek out his own self-destruction for the rest of eternity.