View Single Post
Old 2012-11-11, 17:45   Link #94
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I think that garbage is basically right in the critique that Masaoka is making about the internet.

Other technologies (mail, telephone, media, etc...) bring people together in a transparent way. In other words, that's your words and, more importantly, your name that you write on your mailings to people. That's your voice on the telephone. That's your face in the media.

But if you're playing a fictional avatar and talking to other people's fictional avatars is that truly socializing? Well, given how easily Spookie Boogie and Talisman where replaced by AIs that almost nobody could tell the difference with, I think that this episode was arguing that there's not enough of the "real person" in these sorts of avatars to make their interactions with others to count as true socializing.

Mind you, I don't think this works that well as a criticism of the internet as a whole due to Facebook and Twitter. The internet is nowhere near as predominantly "anonymous" as it once was, with many people having fully integrated their internet communications with their real life communications (by using their real name and face for both). But, perhaps in Psycho-Pass' world, the internet is more like it was in the pre-Facebook/Twitter days.