Thread: Licensed Negima Manga Discussion
View Single Post
Old 2004-05-15, 10:20   Link #89
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
And no. Giving an entire class a unique background does not a good manga make. It just means that he doesn't give each character very much background. Hell, if 30 characters have had their entire backstory told in 1 year of manga, then you're talking about the worst manga ever written, even if the backgrounds are consistent with the character (which is all you have to do to make it 'effective'). And from what I've read, there hasn't been any character history period, which leaves a whole hell of a lot to do in 3 volumes (the chapters I've read had the beginning (first like 5 or 6), some weird underground library or some crap like that, and then some PE class where their clothes fell off, and after that I just skipped by it in the weeklies).
HA see, that's the thing. Of course your initial reaction to this concept would be "how in the world can he develop a mass of characters like this??" But he DOES. He gets you to know most of the characters in the short time this manga has been on, and while the minor ones don't get a lot of exposure, he manages to get you interested in them. That's the charm about this manga and that's why I like it. It's like a harem manga to the extreme.

And of course, there's the plot, which while starts with Negi and Asuna does lead to more and more characters being involved. But you've only read the first few chapters so of course you wouldn't know about it.