View Single Post
Old 2009-07-14, 08:33   Link #121
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

To be honest, Haruhi and Kyon contrast each other even to a more extreme degree.
A crack theory is a crack theory, but they really seem like polar opposites.

Although it doesn't seem like they repel each other because of that. More like... complement. They both (sort of) force themselves to be unbalanced people, while they represent the missing balance to each other.

Kyon forces himself to be a rationalist, Haruhi is the embodiment of temperament and creativity. Haruhi wishes to be that force of escapism, Kyon is rational and down-to-earth.

I don't have to mention that deep down they both are respective opposites yet again. Deep down, Kyon still wishes for crazy stuff and cool fiction to exist. Haruhi knows it can't exist. Maybe it could be said that Kyon is in denial while Haruhi is riddled with doubts.

And then we have the character development, Kyon learns that he likes that whacky adventure and Haruhi learns that the "normal" world isn't so bad after all, you just have to try and find your place in it.

Eventually, they may balance each other out, which I believe is also the message of the show. Neither escapism nor this heavy anti-escapism is "right".

Maybe I derailed from the topic now.