View Single Post
Old 2011-03-04, 22:28   Link #668
Zippicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post
First, he told Kyoko that the power of magical girls is "unpredictable" and even he doesn't have all the answers when she repeatedly questioned him about reviving Sayaka.

Next, he told Homura he DOES have all the answers, he certifiably knew it was NEVER a possibility, and he told Kyoko it was a possibility so she'd go off and get herself killed.

How is that NOT a blatant contradiction?

He didn't play with words or withhold information from Kyoko in this case. He outright gave her false information, and it's foolish to argue he did otherwise.

Face it. Kyubei is a deliberate liar, and his whole "My alien perception makes me unable to understand manipulation" thing is obviously bull. Likewise, nothing he said about alien races and universal energy should be taken as fact at this point.
I borrowed this from the episode 9 post because it explains it better than I could

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnbringerz View Post
The translation is correct. almost correct
Japanese isn't a language you can translate from the words alone.
Half of the translation is in the context (e.g. intonation)

The last か has downwards intonation (you have to listen to the dialog to catch this), together with じゃない making it a rhetorical tag question equivalent to ", isn't it?" in English.

QB believes (maybe not definitely 100% but 99%) that Sayaka can't be saved. He has no doubt regarding this matter in his tone at all. Even the first まさか has a mocking tone, implying that Homura is stupid for asking something that both of them are sure of the answer.

edit:
re-listened, the first sentence before it also has downwards intonation (i.e. it's not a question) and the script is missing some words.

ほむら「佐倉杏子は本当にみきさやかを救える望みがあったの」
Homura: Sakura Kyouko really has a desire to save Miki Sayaka.
QB「まさか。そんなの不可能に決まってるじゃないか。」
What are you saying? There is no way that could be possible, isn't it?

t/n: "that" refers to the ability to save Sayaka, because the next sentence Homura asked why he doesn't stop Kyouku despite her action being a fruitless effort, which is when he revealed that it's to leave Homura as the only one MG to defend Walpurgisnacht.
So I'm still going to stand by my statement (that you decided to omit for some reason) that if you think something is impossible you certainly don't know of a way to do it.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote