View Single Post
Old 2012-10-15, 15:49   Link #968
Graveyard Duck
Bag Giver

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
To me approving of Masaoka's action would be equivalent to approving that the police don't even bother ordering the man to turn around hands in the air and just shoot a tranquilizer right away instead.
Here is one response:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard Duck View Post
That real world police officers' nonlethal methods of subjugation rarely comes from the end of a gun says more about the reliability of tranquilizers and tasers compare to old fashioned grappling. If we had methods as reliable and as safe as film depictions of tranquilizers and tasers, I suspect the police would be expected to grapple with suspects much less often.
Another factor runs along similar lines: You are not comfortable with the idea of the police shooting a tranquilizer without ordering the the suspect to turn around because we have no methods of predicting a random suspicious person's violent tendencies without overt action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Thirdly, if a high PP is an excuse to shoot people that is totally reasonable at any time, then they should be shooting the enforcers instead of involving them in police operations. Why aren't you worried about Masaoka or Kogami reaching for that knife?
Kogami to Akane: "If you don't like what I'm doing, shoot me."
Dominator's description of Masaoka: "Enforce at will."

The police are perfectly free to shoot the enforcers. As to why they do not: the same reason real world police do not immediately arrest informants, and the prosecutors give light plea bargains to them.