View Single Post
Old 2012-08-20, 01:00   Link #177
supermegasonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
A few points on recent posts...

At the end of day, SAO is entertainment, as pretty much all anime is. Now, with many pieces of entertainment, a certain degree of realism helps the overall entertainment value (by making the show more immersive, by making it easier to suspend our disbelief, etc...). On the other hand, you can have too much realism, if it gets in the way of basic entertainment value.

So anime should, generally speaking, seek to balance realism with what's most entertaining in the moment. Not enough realism, and we'd have clearers acting like Leeroy Jenkins. Sure, that might be flashier and "more fun" in the moment, but it would be incredibly unrealistic given the circumstances. It would take a lot of viewers out of the story.

On the other hand, I don't accept "realism" as an excuse for being downright boring. At that point, too much emphasis is being put on realism.

I think there's a happy medium between the clearers acting like Leeroy Jenkins, and the clearers all being super-prepared and winning easily. There's a happy medium where it's realistic enough but it's also entertaining enough.

Now, I never had a problem with this episode's action scenes, and I thought they were very nice. Sometimes you can make up for an one-sided fight with sheer spectacle, and I think that happened here (was I honestly the only one on this thread that loved that "sky full of sunlight" shot of Kirito and Liz in mid-flight?)

On the other hand, I hope that any future boss battles are as interesting as the one from Episode 2. I want them to be actual struggles, and not glorified mop-up operations. And there's no good reason why they shouldn't be actual struggles, imo.
i agree, for a anime thats based on a game, we havnet seen that much action. and that skyshot was just slendid, glad i DL'ed the episode for this.