Thread: Licensed X-Men (Madhouse)
View Single Post
Old 2011-06-25, 22:34   Link #386
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Overall this anime was, by far, the best of the Marvel Comics-based anime shows of the past few years.

It wasn't perfect. As others have pointed out, some of the villains were overly one-dimensional, and Yui's decisions were... highly questionable to say the least.

Nonetheless, all of the villains tended to provide good physical challenges, at least, and perhaps at an emotional level, one can understand Yui's decisions. My own sense is that Yui was afraid she'd essentially lose Takeo to her former lover if she notified Charles of Takeo's existence. Charles would naturally want to take Takeo with him back to the Xavier Institute in America, and that would force Yui to choose between either parting ways with her son or moving to America herself (which she clearly was strongly against as she ended her romance with Charles for just this reason).

Yui was undeniably quite selfish here, wanting the best of all worlds, and in the process she almost destroyed THE world. Still, I can at least understand her decisions at an emotional level. Almost anyway...

Personally, I very much liked all of the cameos in this final episode. In particular, I was surprised to see...

Spoiler for Cameos!:

This anime dug pretty deep into Marvel Lore for the first of these two, and the other one was a surprise because he's a pretty prominent non-mutant super hero.

I felt that, over the full course of the anime, all of the core protagonists were given a chance to shine (Storm had more 'weak' showings than I'd like, but at least she did get to kick butt in battle a few times as well). And the overall narrative was a satisfying one, with a good gradual start to ease you in, and an appropriately epic ending. The pacing was mostly superb.

This anime started extremely well, and I think that it ended extremely well too. It meandered slightly in the middle sections, but not to any major degrees.

Overall, I'm going to give this a 8.5/10.

Being a Marvel/DC Comics fan in my youth (and an X-Men fan in particular) I'll admit I'm a bit biased here, though, lol.

I'd love to see a sequel to this, with perhaps Magneto in the role of main antagonist.