Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2024-08-25, 03:36   Link #601
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Ok...I made it!

Holy crap. There was enough chatter going on around this show after these last episodes that it got me re-assessing things. I honestly just skipped out on this show in the first place. Pretty sure the first season still has my "ok, yeah I'm out" reaction back in the first episode of season 1! But all the strong discussions floating around had me at least thinking it was a good idea to give it a few episodes and see if I dropped out too fast.

48 episodes and a couple weeks later...here we are! Been a long time since I binged a series like this (outside of rewatching something like Symphogear). Holy smokes this series is a ride! Just sat down in the rollercoaster and watched this guy go from creepy kid wearing panties on his head to asking his wife permission to have a second wife! This went places! Some of the characters in this episode weren't born in that first episode! Sylphie (wasn't introduced for a few episodes) had green hair! Roxy...well Roxy was always cute so nothing changed there .

I could just keep saying "holy smokes" and it would be appropriate. So much happened. The whole demonic continent, the Eris stuff, the journey, the battles, the endless school stuff, it was a lot! Absolutely loved the ride though. Honestly, there are few isekai that take the world building and story this seriously. Whether we're talking about Nanahoshi's breakdown when she felt like she'd never get back home or the realization of everyone getting displaced by that incident...there's just so much weight to everything.

It's tough for me to judge season 2 or just part 2 of season 2 since the whole journey has kind of melded together in my mind. But I will say that I like a lot of what happened. The reunion with Sylphie was cute, even if I was begging her to just reveal her identity for more episodes than I'd like to admit! Season 2 was kind of tough since there was pretty much no Eris and Roxy took a while to appear. Season 1 was kinder to Roxy in that she got moments every now and then . But I guess that let the effect of her showing up again and meeting up with Rudy once more really land.

As for the polygamy...I respect how seriously they handle this. They really treat it seriously. Roxy didn't sleep with Rudy with expectations that he'd take her as a second wife. Part of it I'm sure was taking her chance while it was there, but she knew how broken he was and wanted to help someone she loved. That was definitely there too. In a setting like that...I'm not going to be harsh on her.

Norn handled that anyways . Weirdly though I don't mind that either. Norn's outbursts or problems have always felt properly weighted. Of course she got upset. Her dad is dead, her mom is a vegetable, her brother lost a hand, she saw Sylphie's worries for Rudy's safety, and clearly she's at least partly religious. Someone needed to have an outburst to make the scene feel proper and she was the only one that would. Sylphie was an angel to be sure. She does kind of share Rudy's perverted streak so I believe her in saying that she presumed this would happen someday. Rudy may have made his promise, but she didn't really think it'd be followed. Her heart is probably too big, but I appreciate it.

Well...at least I can enjoy the third season with everyone else .

Tags
fantasy, isekai