AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2024-07-02, 22:27   Link #221
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Final thoughts on the series: the ending was appropriate and a suitable payoff for the journey.
Old 2024-07-03, 00:28   Link #222
shiki343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I'm not sure if you can consider that sizable at all. It's the first 2 minutes of the movie, forgotten about for about 1/2, and then they break up after a 2 minute scene. I mean sure the movie had to cram a lot of things in, but the movie itself isn't the bulk of the show as a whole either. So it's not insignificant, but I don't think you can really claim it's a high priority.

There is also the rampant denial of Shu's existence for a good amount of season 3 for whatever reason; again no desire to push that plotline beyond source obligations it feels.

Exactly. It's logical to conclude it's in there because it was in the original material, and they really didn't care for it. Though it does serve to add some extra drama for Reina and motivation-- it is purely a one sided crush so naturally it wasn't going to go anywhere.

I mean at least that makes more sense than to claim the series as a whole is sloppily written.

Oh, as for the yuri-baitng. Well, this studio is somewhat infamous for doing it in a lot of their shows, so the chances of that going anywhere was gonna be marginal at best.
That's what I mean. If they were going to push Shuuichi into the background in most of the final season, then they never should have included, and put emphasis, on the romance with Kumiko in the first place. They should have just not cut it entirely and focused on other things.

I never meant to say I think the show as a whole is sloppily written. I love this series, and I think most of it is fairly well written. It's the romance angle that I think is poorly done (along with Mayu's characterization). As you said, it seemed as though Kyoani only included it just because it was in the source. I didn't even find the romance angle that well done in the source material either.

And yeah, sadly the yuri-baiting is a thing with Kyoani. I love them, but that's always been an annoying thing they partake in.
shiki343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-07-03, 03:21   Link #223
larethian

It's because the anime is an adaptation, and while not being faithful to the source, would sometimes still adapt or use stuff used by the source as a build-up or foreshadow to other developments or outcomes not important for what the show wants to tell. As such they become red herrings, and also sometimes why source readers will tend to feel dissatisfied or dissonance, as they notice this more acutely due to the knowledge of what those material were used for.

As to why they will include those rather than eliminating it all, it could be because:
- they feel it's a trivial point and doesn't matter too much in the coherence of their main story
- they are not decided on the final direction at that point
- it's too troublesome to mow out every one of those and write something else to fill the time
- they feel it's fine to include it and leave it to the audience's imagination and not want to explore that point in the show
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-07-03, 05:56   Link #224
Archon_Wing
Did nothing wrong
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiki343 View Post
That's what I mean. If they were going to push Shuuichi into the background in most of the final season, then they never should have included, and put emphasis, on the romance with Kumiko in the first place. They should have just not cut it entirely and focused on other things.

I never meant to say I think the show as a whole is sloppily written. I love this series, and I think most of it is fairly well written. It's the romance angle that I think is poorly done (along with Mayu's characterization). As you said, it seemed as though Kyoani only included it just because it was in the source. I didn't even find the romance angle that well done in the source material either.

And yeah, sadly the yuri-baiting is a thing with Kyoani. I love them, but that's always been an annoying thing they partake in.
Basically I just imagine Kyoani spreading the skill points in various aspects so they max out the animation and drama sliders and then took all the points of romance to max something else; my favorite joke about the series is the points are spent on Reina's hair gloss.

Although clearly Shu got points taken away too. Still, at least he did something near the end and I did kinda like having him around instead of being Reina's punching bag.

Incidentally I joked with some on Reddit about a potential crack ship between Reina and Shu just because the interactions are suddenly skewed between them. I thought it'd be even funnier if that happened but alas, underwhelming.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-07-03, 12:14   Link #225
shiki343

I still feel like the romance elements should have been cut out since ultimately, they're unimportant to the story and themes apparently. I feel like the only reason those elements were included in the anime (and the source material) was because; "this is a series set in high school and you can't not have romantic drama in a high school drama, right? And Kyoani has proven many times that they're not above changing things from the source material if they feel it's necessary. They've done it with this show even. Although, I guess if they removed Shuuichi's romantic subplot with Kumiko he'd feel even more superfluous than he already does.

I would have been fine with having Reina have this childish crush on Taki if she eventually grew out of it. Episode 9 of S3 should have been a big turning point for Reina's character. She should have realized; "Hey, I'm putting everybody down, elevating the drama, and being needlessly hurtful to my best friend for a guy I've barely interreacted with for 3+ seasons." She should have come to realize that Taki isn't this idealized infallible person she's made him out to be. Either that, or she confesses, gets shot down, and has to deal with that.

You know, some growth for her character, which as is she never gets any. She does apologize to Kumiko, but you don't get the sense she's really changed or wouldn't act the same way if that situation arose again. She's still infatuated with Taki to the very end. So, I feel they should have wrote that part of her character out, because I feel it does more to damage her character than enhance it. It doesn't amount to anything, except to make Reina more unlikable.
shiki343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-07-04, 11:58   Link #226
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiki343 View Post
I still feel like the romance elements should have been cut out since ultimately, they're unimportant to the story and themes apparently. I feel like the only reason those elements were included in the anime (and the source material) was because; "this is a series set in high school and you can't not have romantic drama in a high school drama, right? And Kyoani has proven many times that they're not above changing things from the source material if they feel it's necessary. They've done it with this show even. Although, I guess if they removed Shuuichi's romantic subplot with Kumiko he'd feel even more superfluous than he already does.
Shuichi's relationship with Kumiko is the gossip material among their kohai. During the gossip, more people are interested about Kanade's big appetite with doria(ドリア). I am more amused about Ririka's way of talking, as she is singing. So, Shuichi's "existence" adds the flavor to the plot.

Kaho says all her senpai are kind(yasashii). She says Kanade is yasashi, Kumiko is yasashi, and Mayu is yasahi. Unknown to her, yasashi has different meaning in the story.

優しいしかないじゃない!優しいなんて他に誉めるところがない人に言う台詞でしょ!?私わかってるんだから !

From the interview, the author mentioned she used yasashi without much thought. She didn't expect the word to leave the strong impression in anime adaption. The meeky president Haruka is known for her kindness. After she couldn't stop Aoi from leaving the club, she blamed herself for not as capable as Asuka. Asuka rejected the position for the club president, but she was willing to take the position of the vice president and the drum major. To keep the club running, Haruka volunteered to become the president. While Haruka felt down, Kumiko tried to cheer her up. Haruka asked Kumiko what she liked about Haruka. Kumiko's response was kindness(yasashi). Haruka said you praise a person as yasashi when you have nothing good to say about that person. The quote became quite epic.

Voice actresses interview about Kumiko and Reika's friendship.
Spoiler for interview:

Last edited by scififan; 2024-08-12 at 10:39.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-07-04, 23:27   Link #227
Julio C
Bury My Shell

So apparently they drew the KyoAni staff that passed away from that arson attack as part of the audience.

Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-07-05, 00:51   Link #228
larethian

Seriously RIP. A heartbreaking incident even till this day.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-07-05, 07:11   Link #229
Dextro
He Without a Title

Agreed. Still can't quite accept that it happened. Especially when I was there, next to the building, just months before
Old 2024-07-07, 23:50   Link #230
arkhangelsk

One of the sacrifices is apparently the guy who drew the ensemble playing scenes which is one explanation why they avoided them this season.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-07-14, 16:06   Link #231
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
I've read it, Zenith. First, here's the thing - of course they got more credit than you, because 1) if you take production timelines into account, they must have come up with it before you and 2) you obviously didn't convince me they can make it work (in fact, as you kept talking, the proposal seemed to get ever more overly elaborate for TV), and they balanced the idea with practicality to put a reasonable version on the screen. That they get more of the credit is a foregone conclusion.
On the contrary, scififan did not, and does not deserve any credit. Outside of the production teams, writing staff and novel author, there is no evidence at all, whether it be in this forum, other anime forums, social media or image boards, that fans came up with the idea independently. You don't have to agree with the outcome of the series, but you do need to accept there are other people out there who are intelligent and insightful. You are also denying the fact they did use my approach quite closely, with the small exception that rather than bringing a professional third party in, they got Kumiko and Mayu's classmates to make the final call. Finally, I will remark that scififan, who spent all of their time "analysing" magazine scans for things like body language, clothing patterns and facial expressions, contributed nothing to the discussion. They were off the mark entirely.

On the other hand, everything that happened this final season happened precisely the way I forecast it would: since you've indicated you read my posts in detail, I understand that seeing someone who isn't a revered AnimeSuki member being correct can be a little difficult to accept, especially when said someone used common life lessons and conflict management techniques rather than fanciful (and invalid) art analysis. At the end of the day, you're not one to decide who gets credit or not: the outcome of Hibike! Euphonium speaks for itself, invalidating all of the previous analysis here that you asserted to have merit (including your own).

I understand that you will continue to assert that I'm unlikely to convince you of anything. That much is obvious. The reason why I'm choosing to stand up and speak up isn't to persuade you that you're wrong. Rather, my goal is to refute what you say so that other people, registered forum members or lurkers, don't fall into the trap of giving your opinions more weight than those of someone else's (i.e. mine).

Last edited by Infinite Zenith; 2024-08-21 at 15:13.
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-07-19, 10:58   Link #232
Julio C
Bury My Shell

I bought Volume 1 of season 3 and is packed with extras and it has the first 3 episodes which I was expecting only 2.

The extra episode is about 6 min long, sadly not fully animated. At least the animation stills are on par with the show. I wish they fully animated like the previous 2 seasons extras.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote