Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-04-05, 04:51   Link #1
LG-MAX 2.o

Warau Salesman New

Thread to discuss Warau Salesman New.

Quote:
Each episode follows Fukuzou Moguro, a traveling salesman, and his current customer. Moguro deals in things that give his customers their heart's desire, and once his deals are made and their unhealthy desires are satisfied, Moguro's customers are often left with terrible repercussions, especially if they break the rules of his deals...
OPENING

Last edited by LG-MAX 2.o; 2017-04-05 at 08:41.
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-05, 07:13   Link #2
Ghostfriendly

Took long enough. Interesting oldschool series, though I hope they vary the formula plenty. 1st question, why isn't the salesman the least bit personable? While a sane person wouldn't buy free water from such a hideous apparition, it seems like he targets people already at the end of their rope. As an allegory for the ugly situations that drive people into poor life choices, his fearsome appearence works. I hope some victims manage to escape him though, or the series will just be beating on Japan's downtrodden even further.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-05, 08:46   Link #3
LG-MAX 2.o

Good first episode, art and nostalgic animation. It is interesting how the sense of morality is gray in this series and good people who suffer from the stress of work end up looking for an outlet and in the end they get more problems. It's interesting, but I hope not get bored with the passing of the episodes.

Moguzo is an interesting protagonist and this series has a great op.
Old 2017-04-05, 12:26   Link #4
Nivek von Beldo

This is how to make an anthology series, with showing how people fall easily into bad choices for their lack of characther, pretty nice debut episode, waiting to see what come later.
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-06, 01:55   Link #5
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy

I initially expected this show to be a black comedy, then I came out of episode 1 feeling depressed. I get what this show tried to say, but the thing is the salesman's victims are not bad people, they're just desperate people who are trapped in everyday monotomous and depressing work life looking for some outlet in life, and honestly I can't find enjoyment in seeing them being tricked to their own demise by the salesman.
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn
The fact that you despair
Or the fact that you come to a resolution

Cannot prove that you are right.
~Everybody Has the Right to Make Mistakes~ - Quoted from Kino's Journey Vol. 12
BloodyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-06, 06:26   Link #6
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyKitty View Post
honestly I can't find enjoyment in seeing them being tricked to their own demise by the salesman.
Horror and comedy both have a lot to do with sadism. You're basically supposed to be happy it isn't you.
Old 2017-04-06, 23:00   Link #7
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Oh, a thread finally for the anime. Interesting concept, and I liked it enough to search for episodes of the original version, but only episode one is uploaded to Youtube. Shame.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-07, 07:52   Link #8
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Was the first half the episode necessary? That story was already adapted decades ago, and in the same style. It didn't really bring anything new to the table.

I'm loving the return of our favorite devilish salesman. I was first worried about the voice since the original VA passed away, but holy shit the new voice perfectly mimics the feel.

Quote:
I initially expected this show to be a black comedy, then I came out of episode 1 feeling depressed. I get what this show tried to say, but the thing is the salesman's victims are not bad people, they're just desperate people who are trapped in everyday monotomous and depressing work life looking for some outlet in life, and honestly I can't find enjoyment in seeing them being tricked to their own demise by the salesman.
That's always been the style of this manga.
Completely horrifying consequences for very minor understandable bad choices.
You're not supposed to feel good about the victims in a "they got what they deserved" way, you're supposed to be horrified.
Old 2017-04-07, 13:05   Link #9
Botan_TM

Quote:
I get what this show tried to say, but the thing is the salesman's victims are not bad people, they're just desperate people who are trapped in everyday monotomous and depressing work life looking for some outlet in life
I guess those people were thinking "my life suck, so it's OK when I try to abuse things in my favour to cheer myself". Well, that does not work like that. Was punishment too harsh? It was. Was it a trap? It was. Do it matter? Nope at all, cheese in trap works the same whatever you are hungry or not, so be careful.
Old 2017-04-07, 13:15   Link #10
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Was the first half the episode necessary? That story was already adapted decades ago, and in the same style. It didn't really bring anything new to the table.
Well, I for one didn't know at all about this show, and I think many others could say the same, so it's probably not really that weird. I think this is meant for an all-new audience altogether.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-07, 13:42   Link #11
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botan_TM View Post
I guess those people were thinking "my life suck, so it's OK when I try to abuse things in my favour to cheer myself". Well, that does not work like that. Was punishment too harsh? It was. Was it a trap? It was. Do it matter? Nope at all, cheese in trap works the same whatever you are hungry or not, so be careful.
Horror with a moral lesson is a bit more positive, though a moral lesson would have a bit more hope if the odd victim escapes the Salesman's clutches.
Old 2017-04-07, 13:52   Link #12
Botan_TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
Horror with a moral lesson is a bit more positive, though a moral lesson would have a bit more hope if the odd victim escapes the Salesman's clutches.
To be honest, I wonder if we get a episodes with people, who manage to not break deal or reject it or trick him.
Old 2017-04-07, 14:15   Link #13
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
To be honest, I wonder if we get a episodes with people, who manage to not break deal or reject it or trick him.
But Salesman will probably look smug and say 'See, these people learnt a valuable lesson, so I'm really a good guy who does good, ahaha'
Old 2017-04-07, 21:18   Link #14
LG-MAX 2.o

At least the anime has served to popularize ................... the beer that takes the brand of the series:
Old 2017-04-08, 03:26   Link #15
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
That's always been the style of this manga.
Completely horrifying consequences for very minor understandable bad choices.
You're not supposed to feel good about the victims in a "they got what they deserved" way, you're supposed to be horrified.
I guess this kind of show is not for me then. I have seen people like that in real life and they're pretty ok people if they're not too indulging in their outlets, so I usually flock to stories about nudging these people in a better direction rather than the reverse.
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn
The fact that you despair
Or the fact that you come to a resolution

Cannot prove that you are right.
~Everybody Has the Right to Make Mistakes~ - Quoted from Kino's Journey Vol. 12
BloodyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-08, 03:42   Link #16
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

I just think it's regular horror fare. Same thing as when you got a movie about a bunch of clueless teens in some cabin in the woods and the first one to be killed by the murderer/monster/whatever is maybe the bully or the bitchy one, but doesn't mean they exactly deserved THAT much payback for their faults. It's not supposed to be fair, you're supposed to feel sorry for these guys. It's more of a cautionary tale than a moral one: "be wary because when you're down you're also at your most vulnerable and exploitable".

Old 2017-04-08, 09:55   Link #17
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
I guess this kind of show is not for me then. I have seen people like that in real life and they're pretty ok people if they're not too indulging in their outlets, so I usually flock to stories about nudging these people in a better direction rather than the reverse.
There is a spin-off story featuring Fukujiro Moguro, the younger brother of Fukuzou.
Unlike his brother, Fukujirou is pure good and genuinely helps people. I'm hoping he makes a guest appearance.

Quote:
There are few cases of this happening. Someone who manages to keep the promise regardless of the odds, and Moguro honors the deal.
There was even a case where Moguro himself couldn't keep his end of the bargain.

Moguro is basically like The Devil. He can't break the contract himself, but he can do everything in his power to tempt the victim into breach their end of the bargain.
Not sure there's any limits to his powers beyond that though, it can get pretty creepily supernatural. Like Freddy Krueger level.
Old 2017-04-10, 15:40   Link #18
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Really liked this episode. The second half strengthened my impression that this has at least partly a purpose of being a satire of Japanese society - almost everyone is plagued either by a dull or hateful job environment, or by the length to which they're willing to go to forget themselves and the misery of their own life. Ultimately it's always stories about the ways in which alienation brings people to their lowest point.

Old 2017-04-10, 19:25   Link #19
HandofFate

watched the first episode.
its pretty spooky for me.
its like a twilight zone targeted at salary man/office ladys and other birthday cake-tier peopel
Old 2017-04-10, 21:50   Link #20
LG-MAX 2.o

I understand there's a beer brand for this anime, but my god, there's so much alcohol in this series. Good episode.