Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2015-04-17, 18:59   Link #1
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim (Steam/GOG/Humble Bundle) April 28th

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/589124446742519809

Quote:
Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim is coming out April 28th on Steam, http://GOG.com , the Humble Store \o/ I hope you guys will enjoy it

Prices: $19.99 / €17.99 / £13.99 with a launch week discount of 15%

It will have "adjustable high resolution PC graphics", as well as game pad support. Also, if you buy the game through Steam or GOG.com, you will get a downloadable art book with high resolution art pieces related to the game.

Official English website: http://www.worldofys.com/ysvi/
Old 2015-04-17, 19:27   Link #2
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Another game of the series that I can ragequit. After I couldn't dodge the goddamn master spark attack of the final boss in Origins with Yunica, dealing 1 dmg to that stupid ice wyvern in Felghana, and flat out not finding the way out of the tower in Ys I, I'm currently on hiatus for Ys. Not that that would stop me from getting the game ...

The OCD in me tells me to play the games in the right order but VI!? I only have II ...
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-18, 18:51   Link #3
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
This game has been on my bucket list for years. I'll definitely pick it up at some point.
Old 2015-04-24, 10:22   Link #4
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
Another game of the series that I can ragequit. After I couldn't dodge the goddamn master spark attack of the final boss in Origins with Yunica, dealing 1 dmg to that stupid ice wyvern in Felghana, and flat out not finding the way out of the tower in Ys I, I'm currently on hiatus for Ys. Not that that would stop me from getting the game ...

The OCD in me tells me to play the games in the right order but VI!? I only have II ...
Ys VI isn't as rage-worthy as the others, especially thanks to the healing items. I've tested out the first few bosses to see how hard they were in nightmare and they are actually doable. Unlike say the serpent boss in Ys Oath. I'm going to be stuck on him forever in nightmare, that's for sure.
Old 2015-04-24, 10:47   Link #5
Kafriel
Senior Guest

This one is actually a cakewalk, the bosses are nothing much...the only difficulty I remember having was a certain cavern-like dungeon with no light, hence the difficulty. Still, after putting it on hold for a few months, you know, right before the final boss fight and stuff...I forgot everything about the game and its maps, so now I don't know where to go and just kinda quit the game lol xD

Not really sure if THIS is what I'd want to play on steam, the psp version serves its purpose...
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-24, 21:45   Link #6
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
This one is actually a cakewalk, the bosses are nothing much...the only difficulty I remember having was a certain cavern-like dungeon with no light, hence the difficulty. Still, after putting it on hold for a few months, you know, right before the final boss fight and stuff...I forgot everything about the game and its maps, so now I don't know where to go and just kinda quit the game lol xD

Not really sure if THIS is what I'd want to play on steam, the psp version serves its purpose...

Wouldn't this be superior to the PSP version? Isn't the PSP version inferior to the PS2 and original PC version?
Old 2015-04-24, 22:35   Link #7
marvelB

Quote:

Really, outside of maybe the first two games, the series doesn't need to be played in any particular order. It's basically like Zelda where the stories are largely self-contained, so continuity isn't such a big issue. Though if you do insist on playing in a chronological order then Celceta (IV) takes place before Felghana (III), if memory serves me right. And personally, I'd actually recommend the PCE Ys IV over any of the other versions (not that the Vita Celceta is bad, mind you, but I personally find it inferior to the version that was released nearly 20 years prior, lol ).

And honestly, I'm still kinda surprised that Falcom hasn't ported Origins to PSP or Vita yet. I figured that would have been natural since they've almost exclusively focused on Sony systems in recent years. Zwei 2 needs some portable lovin' as well, come to think of it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Wouldn't this be superior to the PSP version? Isn't the PSP version inferior to the PS2 and original PC version?
Eh, I'd say all versions of VI have their ups and downs, but also keep in mind that the PS2/PSP versions were ported by Konami, not Falcom themselves. I mean, just compare the choppy framerates and extra loading times of the PSP port of VI to Falcom's own port of Felghana.... it's like night and day. The ports do have some features the PC versions lack, though (like the PS2 version using 3D models for the characters instead of the PC/PSP version's sprites), so which version you choose is up to you. Personally, I just prefer to have my Ys games on the go.

Last edited by marvelB; 2015-04-24 at 23:00.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-24, 23:47   Link #8
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Like Marvel said, it's one of those games that I'd rather play on the train or something, purely to kill time, so handheld version suits it better imo.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-26, 05:10   Link #9
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Like Marvel said, it's one of those games that I'd rather play on the train or something, purely to kill time, so handheld version suits it better imo.
Considering the PSP's load time, I'm not sure why anyone would advise to play the PSP version over the PC version.
Old 2015-04-26, 14:53   Link #10
marvelB

^As someone who's traveling pretty often I don't have enough time to enjoy the superior specs of PC/console versions, unfortunately. So again, just having Ys on the go is enough to satisfy me, loading and framerate issues be damned.
Old 2015-04-26, 15:19   Link #11
Alhazad2003

Quote:

Well I don't think IV or V were ever localized, so that would be kinda tough. Still, after playing Oath of Felghana, I'm kicking myself for not discovering this series sooner. I'm definitely getting it, definitely.
Alhazad2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-26, 15:24   Link #12
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alhazad2003 View Post
Well I don't think IV or V were ever localized, so that would be kinda tough.

Well, IV was.... or at least, the Vita remake, anyway (the aforementioned Celceta). I wouldn't doubt that the inevitable remake of V will get localized as well when the time comes.
Old 2015-04-26, 19:49   Link #13
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

What is Oath in Felghana? I thought it was a remake of Ys IV. Is it a remake of an old Ys? What 'number' would it be?
Old 2015-04-26, 20:02   Link #14
marvelB

^Felghana is a remake of Ys III (aka Wanderers from Ys). The original version is pretty unique from the rest of the series since it was a side-scroller unlike the rest of the titles. Basically, it's comparable to Adventures of Link from the Zelda series. But as I said before, chronologically Celceta (IV) takes place before Felghana (III).

...Or at least, that's how it was from what I last recall. Falcom could have retconned the timeline in recent years, for all I know.
Old 2015-04-26, 22:26   Link #15
Shadow5YA

Other than I, II and Origins, numbers don't really matter for Ys anyway since the stories are more or less standalone with Adol visiting different places (and somehow being the chosen one in every land )
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-26, 22:44   Link #16
marvelB

^That reminds me: One particular thing I appreciate about Ys is that there's only ONE Adol in the whole series. On the other hand, how many Links are there in the Zelda universe again? Like, over a dozen?
Old 2015-04-26, 23:48   Link #17
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
^That reminds me: One particular thing I appreciate about Ys is that there's only ONE Adol in the whole series. On the other hand, how many Links are there in the Zelda universe again? Like, over a dozen?
Well... until the N64 era with Smash Bros and the big timeline debate, I think "Link" was just supposed to be a placeholder name until the player inputs his own. Before then, the hero wasn't supposed to have a name set in stone.

After that point, I think Nintendo just keeps trying to appeal to Western fans who loved Ocarina of Time and "adult" Link.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-28, 07:13   Link #18
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

If I get Ys from either GoG or Humble Bundle, can I play it through steam? Most of my library is in steam but since the latest changes I'm looking more into other sites.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-30, 04:22   Link #19
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
If I get Ys from either GoG or Humble Bundle, can I play it through steam? Most of my library is in steam but since the latest changes I'm looking more into other sites.
If it doesn't say so, then probably not. I wouldn't worry too much about Steam. If you really want to, you can still buy a copy off both GOG and Steam.