Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-02-13, 19:56   Link #1
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Greatest Endings in VG History?

So Guinness World Records has published its list of greatest video game endings in gaming history, in a list of 1 to 50.

Spoiler for Top 50:

So... do you agree with it? Do you not? Admittedly, I haven't played the game listed as #1, but most people I've talked to who have tell me it doesn't deserve that spot on the list...

Discuss.
Old 2012-02-13, 20:04   Link #2
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Soon as I saw two Call of Duty games in the top 5 this list pretty much lost practically all of it's credibility. How can two FPS' with online multiplayer as the focal point behind both of their times in development possibly have campaigns with stories that deserve those spots?

My guess is that a large percentage of people they surveyed were FPS fags. Y'know those quote-on-quote "gamers" who rarely play anything outside games like Call of Duty or Halo. I can't think of any other explanation.
Old 2012-02-13, 20:07   Link #3
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
No BioShock 2 on that list??

I am disappoint.
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 20:09   Link #4
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Meh. Based on the ages of the games it looks like they didn't sample enough people over the age of 20...
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 20:49   Link #5
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

No Homeworld? That's one of the only games that really got me emotionally invested (and cry manly tears).Two Call of Duty games in the top 5? This list is worthless. What demographic did they use? Sub 20 year old male?

At least OoT is there.

Hell I'd consider the ending(s) to Command and Conquer: Red Alert to be better then a number of things on that list.

Last edited by Mr Hat and Clogs; 2012-02-13 at 21:00.
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 20:52   Link #6
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Freespace 2's ending was awesome in its spectacle. And music.
Old 2012-02-13, 20:56   Link #7
Mr Hat and Clogs

Oh yes FreeSpace 2 t'was quite awesome outrunning a star going supernova, FreeSpace 1 was good too with the Lucifer's destruction. Both are somewhat downers though, really hope one day there is a FreeSpace 3. Dunno how I forgot FreeSpace since I was playing it not more then two hours ago.
Old 2012-02-13, 21:00   Link #8
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Fallout 3 and not Fallout 2, or Planescape, or the BG saga; Call of Duty as number 1; no Homeworld on the list; choosing Generic Fantasy Oblivion over, oh I don't know, Dragon Age or something (at least that one tried hard to create a Tolkienesque epic; hint: Bethesda doesn't write stories); Bioshock or System Shock 2 or Deus Ex (old or new) isn't on the list either.

...what the fuck is this shit?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 21:06   Link #9
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

One's feeling on Freespace 2 all depend on just how far away you were from the jump point when Command tells you what it coming. I think I barely made it the first time...and had the "Oh Crap" thought as I looked at the counter and the jump point way in the distance. All power to engines and afterburners the whole way. I think I still died as I think my ship exploded during my jump. But I've done that mission more than once. Freaking game keeps dropping enemies farther and farther away from the jump point before it tells you what's going on. if you play normally, you will probably die as you will be out defending transports and warships like the mission says to do.

The cutscene makes it worth it....if you make it or not. Very good musical touches as well.
Old 2012-02-13, 21:11   Link #10
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Black Ops had the greatest ending it gaming history...

Thats pretty tragic.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 21:17   Link #11
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

This list is just trolling us... I just can't see Black Ops being #1 on the greatest gaming ending..
Old 2012-02-13, 21:24   Link #12
com_gwp

Who the hell is this "majority of gamers" that they picked who could actually vote 2 CODs into the top 10 with one being no. 1?

Even if black ops had arguably the most interesting story out of any COD, best ending in gaming history? And it was a quicktime event to boot? My god, what standards are these people judging by?
And the amount of bullshit on that list, any semi-serious gamer can tell you this list lacks any kind of credibility.

In the first place, most people just seem to be picking their favorite game instead of a game with an actually good ending. I mean, come on, Pokemon? Mario? The ending of those games are just credits you have to endure to get to the post game! Any shooters on that list shouldn't even be there, and yes, I do mean even Bioshock, which had a great story but a piss-poor ending (Bioshock 2, on the other hand, had a pretty powerful ending). Only exception is Reach, which actually had a great ending but should be placed way back at the list)

Last edited by com_gwp; 2012-02-13 at 21:34.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 21:28   Link #13
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

^ I think you're misunderstanding MW3's ending to Black Ops.
Old 2012-02-13, 21:30   Link #14
Mr Hat and Clogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
One's feeling on Freespace 2 all depend on just how far away you were from the jump point when Command tells you what it coming. I think I barely made it the first time...and had the "Oh Crap" thought as I looked at the counter and the jump point way in the distance. All power to engines and afterburners the whole way. I think I still died as I think my ship exploded during my jump. But I've done that mission more than once. Freaking game keeps dropping enemies farther and farther away from the jump point before it tells you what's going on. if you play normally, you will probably die as you will be out defending transports and warships like the mission says to do.

The cutscene makes it worth it....if you make it or not. Very good musical touches as well.
Yeah I was miles away and the timer ended as I just reached the outside of the Jump Node the first time I did it. Second time I deliberately tried to stay close-ish to the node, I'd help where I could, picking off bombers and the like but otherwise didn't stray to far.

It's a pity we will probably never know what the Shivans purpose behind the destruction of the Capella star was.

Also not included, Thief: The Dark Project. /sigh

Last edited by Mr Hat and Clogs; 2012-02-13 at 21:41.
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 21:36   Link #15
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
^ I think you're misunderstanding MW3's ending to Black Ops.
There's no mistaking, every COD since MW2 had a quicktime event for its ending.

I don't hate the games, they're like the gaming equivalent of the summer blockbusters. Big, loud, constantly exaggerating, and still a good bit of fun. But there is no way they deserve a spot on best endings in gaming history. It's like saying Transformers 1 has one of the best ending in movie history.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 22:32   Link #16
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

they throw a few classics on there then pick a ton of games released in the last decade. pretty horrible list.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 22:48   Link #17
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner

Half of those games don't have an ending. Just either open-ended, cliff hangers, or have seqyels out/coming out.

Too many FPS to my liking. Halo: Reach I can understand, at least a little. But black ops? lolwhut.
Stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 22:48   Link #18
Meltyred

The moment I saw pokemon I started ignoring the rest.
This is just...
Horrible.
I'd have thought at least one VN would be there, I mean, all they focus on is the plot!
Meltyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 22:54   Link #19
Mr Hat and Clogs

Not surprised there are no VNs on it. The list is more or less from a western focus.
Old 2012-02-13, 22:54   Link #20
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltyred View Post
The moment I saw pokemon I started ignoring the rest.
This is just...
Horrible.
I'd have thought at least one VN would be there, I mean, all they focus on is the plot!
You do realize Visual Novels are more of a Japan thing right? Why would that genre be in a list centered for Western released games?
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote