Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-04-23, 08:49   Link #1
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Smite

Official Site

Trailer

I've never played a MOBA before (which is what this is unless I'm horribly wrong), so it's all kinda new to me. But I saw this today, downloaded it and I've played a few games and I have to say I've had a lot of fun with it. It's quite amusing running around as one of the ancient Gods just beating the crap out of others.

The skills for the gods are all pretty apt, and fairly unique, and really visually impressive. Possiden's Kraken skill really stands out for sheer screen hogishness. The Gods and Goddesses are all also quite nice to look at, and some of the alternate skins are just swee. I'm quite the fan of Neith, nice and mobile with loads of escapes, and her victory dance is just hilarious. Tried Freya, she feels really awesome to play and her ultimate is quite cool but I kept getting my ass handed to me in the arena game mode. Kali just shreds the shit out things, she really bloody hurts. Bastet is almost as painful. Ra is quite awesome, LOADS of AoE. Posiden's ultimate is just freakin nasty, unleash the Kraken indeed. Hades also looks quite cool, loads of AoE there to. Cupid... yeah.. Cupid, lol.

There are a few game modes, Conquest, Assault, Arena, Domination, Joust and something called Cool Cats... which involes Anhur, Bastet and Ymir doing... things.

God List with Lore, gear and skills.

Check out the youtube page for some interesting videos on the Gods and Goddesses, tutorials and so on.
Old 2013-04-23, 14:53   Link #2
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Oh right, I remember watching a review for smite some time ago here, didn't have the time or resources to actually install it though =/ It looks very interesting, didn't expect so many characters out already. Lots of cool skills, double stances and temporary zoning buffs from what I saw, it's the kind of stuff that makes this game worth looking into. The lore could use a bit of tweaking, but...well, it's just lore anyway :P
Quote:
I've never played a MOBA before
Prepare to be coached and flamed on until you "learn to play", but the real moba fun lies in character synergy (and a few...unique builds).
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 17:02   Link #3
Mr Hat and Clogs

Heh, that's usually why I play support characters like the TF2 medic. Usually do a lot better as support. As for synergy Aphrodite is pretty good for support, goes insanely well with a melee partner, not so much with a ranged one. Haven't come across any one attempting to "coach" yet, but I've only tried the 'casual' games so maybe the raging folks aren't there in that tier or something. Piss poor attitude and behaviour is generally why I avoid pvp games, it seems to bring the worst in people.
Old 2013-04-24, 06:14   Link #4
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Finally got a spin at this, it was a bit odd at first, since most MOBA have an over-the-map view, but I'm getting used to it. After a joust and a few arena matches, all I can say is TH0000000R! I actually won my last match at 1-0, talk about close call.

EDIT: Classic community ("omg naps, uninstall game pls") but eventually pretty standard stuff. Yimir's wall is amazingly hard to pull off properly, especially when up against flying gods - wall gives away ult, so they jump, avoid it and crash down on me when it's over. Should probably focus on someone easier for now...

Last edited by Kafriel; 2013-04-24 at 08:11.
Old 2014-01-08, 07:21   Link #5
Mr Hat and Clogs

By the power Hel, I bring this topic back from frozen depths of Nifelheim.

Figured I'd give this a bump again, and see if anyone else has been playing (casually, atleast, I don't do league stuff). Their have been quite a few updates since I posted this, LOADS of gods now from Hindu, Mayan, Egyptian, Chinese, Greek, Roman and Norse, 48 in total I think. A fair few have had model and ability updates (<3 the new Hel, Kali's new model is pretty awesome to, infact all of the new ones are sweet as).

So, yeah anyone else been playing? I'd really recommend checking out their YouTube page, or Twitch if you're curious before DL'n it.

Oh and Kaf, Thor gets an updated model tonight, I think (or tomorrow).
Old 2014-01-09, 00:54   Link #6
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I've been playing it for a few weeks now. It's pretty fun. Lots of balance issues, but it's mostly kept in check if you have any kind of teamwork. I'm really tempted to get the god pack before beta ends.
Old 2014-01-09, 06:35   Link #7
Mr Hat and Clogs

I got the God Pack a while back, Solace, definitely worth it if you play a bit considering it's only $30 compared to the.. $500(?) for LoL (avg ~$6 per, I think?). It also gets you all future gods to (which individually are ~$4). If you don't play more than 7 gods, I guess it's technically better to buy them individually.

Personally I enjoy the 3rd person perspective over the isometric of the other MOBA's, that and I kinda got over clicking everywhere from playing Diablo.
Old 2014-01-10, 01:30   Link #8
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Definitely enjoying the "on the ground" perspective versus the Dota/LoL overhead perspective. It feels fresh and the gameplay modes are fun. Arena mode is almost what I was hoping for in WoW, where you could just queue up and slug it out against another team.

The God Pack is definitely a good value. Favor's been coming in at a steady enough pace that I'd rather be spending it on skins instead of just gods. I'll pick it up soon, I think.
Old 2014-01-10, 02:04   Link #9
Mr Hat and Clogs

Yeah, the skins are good, some are pretty amusing or look just downright badass (pirate Sobek look cool, or that new Anubis one, dayum). I'm tempted to get some more, I just wish there were more for Hel. Jingle Hel (or Sailor Butt Ribbon) is funny because when you use abilities it plays a small snippet of jingle bells. I think the He Bo "He Bro" skin has some unique vocals as well.

Also the voice packs, some are hilarious. Like Hel's Light Side voice - which I know I've heard before somewhere, is so damn peppy, same with Neith. The Jade Rabbit that follows Chang'e around is great to "Haha! Good show!" But you can't get them with Favor sadly.

Yeah Arena is great fun, usually play Hel, Freya or Nu Wa there. I'm sad that they have removed Domination. But they might bring it back again after the review - still can play it in the match of the day though.

Edit: Voice Actor list. Quite a few recognisable voices actually, definitely knew I recognised Hel. Also, now I keep picturing Ne Zha as Riza Hawkeye. Reddit source

Last edited by Mr Hat and Clogs; 2014-01-10 at 02:32.
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 21:10   Link #10
Mr Hat and Clogs

New Goddess today, she's fun to play pretty quick and all that. But I'm not the biggest fan of her model, was hoping for something a little more... armoured.
Old 2014-03-06, 00:31   Link #11
Mr Hat and Clogs

New "God" today, the Loli of the Deep, Scylla.

Comes with own tentacles...

Old 2014-03-06, 12:28   Link #12
Kafriel
Senior Guest

But Scylla is just a monster =/ Oh well, who would say no to tentacles?
Old 2014-03-06, 21:15   Link #13
Mr Hat and Clogs

Yeah, theres a few merely mythological beings in there rather than Gods, Like Bakasura, Arachane, Scylla, Ymir(?) and Fenrir(?). T'is why I had it in quotes.

Still, the lore they're going with has her as the child of some unnamed God/Goddess, and she was cast out and abandoned... to be raised by wolves essentially, hehe.

She's pretty fun though. All prim and proper like a sweet little princess in posture and behaviour... The out comes the monster. I'm sure there is some metaphor there about girls turning into monsters and all.
Old 2016-01-06, 04:31   Link #14
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Cinematic Trailer.
Old 2016-06-15, 18:37   Link #15
Setsunabuseman

This is a great game been playing it for about 2 months now. Seems like they get new characters every month
Old 2016-06-15, 20:05   Link #16
Mr Hat and Clogs

On the plus Hel is getting a new skin! /cheer

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2016-06-17, 05:50   Link #17
Jinjer

i haven't touched my account for years!!

so this bellona is kind of their "tracer" now or something?
Jinjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-22, 14:58   Link #18
DarkClaymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjer View Post
so this bellona is kind of their "tracer" now or something?
It's actually pretty funny how both Overwatch and Smite do a lot of their advertisement with a short-haired girl. Must be some hidden trick to that which get sells.

I haven't been playing much recently, but I really liked the recent update that allows to slow down tower shots with an item. I had this sort of idea for a long time and I was delightfully surprised to suddenly see it implemented.

Anybody else here watches Smite youtubers? I mostly follow MyhtyMoo, and sometimes PunkDuck, Raynday and DoubleJ.
Old 2016-08-22, 20:04   Link #19
Mr Hat and Clogs

It's probably because short hair is like... sporty and fun, or something so it gets peoples interests.

Haven't watched any for ages, haven't played for ages either.