AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2014-02-22, 16:49   Link #1
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Something action-packed/fast-paced. Like Valvrave.

I've been a bit disappointed with the new action-y shows of Winter 2014, so I'm looking to pick up a couple action-y shows, and maybe even marathon one or both over the next two or three days.

What I'm looking for...

1) Action-packed. At least as much as Railgun S, Shana, and Tokyo Ravens.
2) Fast-paced. Think Kill La Kill, Valvrave,
3) Mixed gender cast would be ideal. I don't care if lead is male or female though.
4) "Standard" art style/animation with high production values is a plus, but not necessary. Think Guilty Crown, Fate/Zero.
Old 2014-02-22, 17:10   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Witchcraft Craft Works is currently airing and I think fits all the requirements except the third. Not sure what you've already seen but I recommend:
Baccano - crazy fun
Blood Lad - crazy fun
Canaan - action/thriller/drama
FLCL- crazy fun
Redline - crazy fun
Sword of the Stranger - action/thriller/drama
Summer Wars - crazy fun
Zetman - action/thriller/drama
Zetsuen no Tempest - action/thriller/drama

I think they all satisfy your main criteria, although ZnT maybe slightly lacking in action.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-22, 17:19   Link #3
Darthtabby

Did you ever get around to seeing Canaan?

I know you've seen Ga-Rei Zero. I'm guessing you've probably seen Full Metal Panic, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and Black Lagoon already, but if you haven't, check those out.

If you've seen Black Lagoon and liked it then you should try checking out Jormungand (though unfortunately its a bit like Canaan in that the writing kind of falls apart towards the end).

I seem to remember you weren't very enthusiastic about Macross Frontier, but the Macross Zero OVA is different enough that you might enjoy it even if you weren't big on Frontier, and its air combat sequences are actually even more awesome than the ones in Frontier. They're actually the most awesome air combat sequences I've seen in any anime series.

Last edited by Darthtabby; 2014-02-22 at 17:37.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-22, 17:33   Link #4
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
I remember you planning to watch canaan,so maybe that.

There's a couple of gainax titles that come to mind if you don't mind ecchi: re:cutey honey (ep1 is done by the director/writer combo of klk) and diebuster.

edit: can't remember if you saw Jojo.

Last edited by totoum; 2014-02-22 at 17:54.
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-22, 18:26   Link #5
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Haak, totoum, and Darthyabby - Thanks for the recommendations.

I really should do up a comprehensive MAL for myself one day. Most of the shows mentioned so far I've already seen, and most of those I've seen I did like, yeah.

But each of you mentioned a show that I probably should try.

Blood Lad, the Macross Zero OVA, and more Jojo (it's time for me to get over Episode 8, lol )
Old 2014-02-22, 19:14   Link #6
kitten320

Baccano!
Bakuretsu Tenshi
- if my memory does not deceive me. Been years since I watched it.
Claymore
Inuyasha
Jormungand
Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
Mai-HiME
Mirai Nikki
Oda Nobuna no Yabou
Psycho-Pass
Samurai Champloo
Senjou no Valkyria: Gallian Chronicles
Tales of the Abyss
Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited - Hyoubu Kyousuke
Old 2014-02-23, 05:04   Link #7
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Keeping it semi-recent and shows I don't believe you've seen, I'll suggest:

Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova, the CGI is awkward feeling at first, but it is a really good action show after you get use to the CGI a bit, and has sorta of Mixed gender cast (Main Cast has male and female, though the enemies are all female ).

Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, completely Mixed gender cast for every side, though it has some slower eps especially at start of S1 and later in S2 between the heavy action ones, but is really amazing in action area at it's peaks.

Medaka Box, mixed gender, but only really becomes action towards later part of S1, and during S2, so earlier episodes might put you off from it.

Senki Zesshou Symphogear
, female fighters with some male supporting characters in main cast, pretty heavy in action all the time in both seasons.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 05:59   Link #8
Westlo
Lets be reality

Eh I would point you in the direction of Macross Plus instead of Macross Zero.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 12:14   Link #9
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Haak, totoum, and Darthyabby - Thanks for the recommendations.

I really should do up a comprehensive MAL for myself one day. Most of the shows mentioned so far I've already seen, and most of those I've seen I did like, yeah.

But each of you mentioned a show that I probably should try.

Blood Lad, the Macross Zero OVA, and more Jojo (it's time for me to get over Episode 8, lol )
Oh yeah. I thought you'd seen Jojo. You definitely need to watch the Battle Tendency arc. Much faster paced and action packed then the first arc.

Maybe Space Battleship Yamato 2199? First episodes are a little slow but then it speeds up. Gender mixed. High production values, although it an older art style.

Pretty sure you've seen Banner of the Stars and Full Metal Panic.

Maybe something older... have you seen Chrono Crusade? Or Martian Successor Nadesico? How about Tenchi Universe or Inuyasha? Gundam Wing?

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 14:31   Link #10
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Oh yeah, as Sackett says , Battle Tendency really speeds up and is even more over the top, hell its training episode is more epic than a lot of big battles in other animes.

Another one that comes to mind is Yozakura Quartet ~Hana no Uta~ , don't remember seeing you in its thread,though I admit the first 4 episodes don't have that much action, however after that it gets pretty intense.
Old 2014-02-23, 14:32   Link #11
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

I'd recommend you take a look at my MAL(in my sig). Specifically my "to-watch" list. It's full of good, action-packed shows I haven't gotten around to watching yet for one reason or another(laziness). The reason I didn't give you any specific examples is because I have no idea what you have or haven't seen yet.
Old 2014-02-24, 00:42   Link #12
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Eh I would point you in the direction of Macross Plus instead of Macross Zero.
I would, too. I can't think of Zero as a "fast paced and action packed' show as he asked for.

He probably watched Mirai Nikki already, but i'll say it just in case, it has that same frenetic trainwreck vibe that shows like Valvrave have.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-27, 00:46   Link #13
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

"Heavenly Breakthrough Crimson Face" or better known as Tengen Toppa Guren Lagann, may fit the criteria, if it fits your tastes and if you didn't watch it already.