AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2016-12-13, 11:00   Link #1
IronOtaku

Manga and anime with female character dyeing their hair

I'm looking for any Manga and anime with females characters who dyed their hair, whatever the reason, whether it is disguise or character developement for example.

thank you in advance.
IronOtaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-13, 15:02   Link #2
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
The MC briefly dyes her hair in The Twelve Kingdoms anime... Nothing else springs to mind offhand, though.
Old 2016-12-13, 18:28   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Actually I don't think Youko ever does dye her hair. I just re-watched the sequence in episode one of Twelve Kingdoms to be sure. Though her mother pressures her to go to the salon and have her hair dyed black, Youko does not do so. Soon thereafter she's on her way to the Kingdoms still with her red hair.

Like Flower, that's the only hair-dyeing sequence I can think of. Anime girls don't really need to dye their hair because their character designers have already done it for them!
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-13, 18:47   Link #4
IronOtaku

Ok I understand, it's quite logical. And Manga side ?
IronOtaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-13, 19:00   Link #5
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Actually I don't think Youko ever does dye her hair. I just re-watched the sequence in episode one of Twelve Kingdoms to be sure. Though her mother pressures her to go to the salon and have her hair dyed black, Youko does not do so. Soon thereafter she's on her way to the Kingdoms still with her red hair.

Like Flower, that's the only hair-dyeing sequence I can think of. Anime girls don't really need to dye their hair because their character designers have already done it for them!
If I remember correctly Youko actually does dye her hair for a while (I think from bright red to a dark brown) while in the twelve kingdoms themselves ... don't quote me on this one. It is mentioned later on when she took a bath (I don't remember the exact episode) and another character mentions "Oh, you were dying your hair?" and she mentions that she was....

It is, of course, true that her father was putting pressure on her to die her natural hair color at the beginning of the series, though. And I also remember her never doing so.
Old 2016-12-13, 20:01   Link #6
kitten320

The first thing to come to mind is Citrus... a yuri manga XD

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren - it's a 2nd season of the series and Nibutani dyes her hair black for a new start. But I think it was only a one episode thing.

Hair cuts? In one of Clannad OVA's, one of the girls cuts her hair.

What about Male characters? Kurapika from HxH had to dress up and wear a wig on few occasions as cover up, he also looks a bit feminine.

These are the only ones I can think of.
Old 2016-12-13, 20:46   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
If I remember correctly Youko actually does dye her hair for a while (I think from bright red to a dark brown) while in the twelve kingdoms themselves ... don't quote me on this one. It is mentioned later on when she took a bath (I don't remember the exact episode) and another character mentions "Oh, you were dying your hair?" and she mentions that she was....
You're right, that happens when she is being bathed by Rakujin's mother in episode six. Her hair is a dark brown color at that point. I skimmed the earlier episodes but didn't see the actual hair-dying itself. Strangely Youko says her hair turned red when she arrived in the Kingdoms, though it was red before she left Japan.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-14, 07:58   Link #8
kari-no-sugata II

Most obvious one I can think of is "Skip Beat!" - MC has longish black hair initially. At the end of chapter 1 she has her hair cut and dyed blond (it directly ties into her character development). She mostly sticks to that style but has occasionally changed it or worn a wig.

In the Kiddy Grade anime the two main characters are basically redesigned half-way through the series. That's not quite the same as having your hair dyed though.

There's probably more examples where characters used to have a different style but changed it in the past (ie only seen in flashbacks). It's pretty rare for a character's design to permanently change during a series. Actually, even temporary recolouring for disguises etc are quite rare - I can't think of an example apart from Flower's one above.
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-14, 18:49   Link #9
BWTraveller
Born to ship

For a little older, try Crest of the Stars. Jinto and Lafiel find themselves on an anti-Abh planet at one point where people are being arrested simply for dyeing their hair blue because it's thought to be a sign of support for the Abh race. If they found an Abh, whose hair is naturally blue, things would be much worse.

Aishiteruze Baby also has this with a side character. After suffering enough bullying to make her consider suicide, a certain girl dyed her hair red and started to act tough to keep people away.

Also, I believe this happened in Kokoro Connect, albeit only briefly in the very last episode.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote