AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2003-11-08, 15:11   Link #1
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Batching up older series

I think it is great to see more groups recently batch up their older or completed series. Like Triad putting up Popotan this morning in two batches, or just about anything A-E puts out, or even A-Keep's Scrapped Princess monster torrent. I would like to encourage more groups to batch up their series when they finish. It makes it easier to d/l and easier for seeders as well. For example, I loved Seichi's Loki, but when I look at their d/l page, there are no seeds for many of the episodes. If they would just dump all the episodes into one big batch and seed it at 3k, then everyone would be able to get the series eventually (not to single out Seichi, just an example).
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-08, 16:36   Link #2
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by durrem
I think it is great to see more groups recently batch up their older or completed series. Like Triad putting up Popotan this morning in two batches, or just about anything A-E puts out, or even A-Keep's Scrapped Princess monster torrent. I would like to encourage more groups to batch up their series when they finish. It makes it easier to d/l and easier for seeders as well. For example, I loved Seichi's Loki, but when I look at their d/l page, there are no seeds for many of the episodes. If they would just dump all the episodes into one big batch and seed it at 3k, then everyone would be able to get the series eventually (not to single out Seichi, just an example).
I remember this being discussed and I thought our distro was gonna do that
/me goes back to smack the distro
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-08, 19:42   Link #3
AnimeFangirl

Batch torrents can be pretty annoying when you're looking for just 1 particular episode out of all 26/52/whatever and they're lumped up like that. I think groups should provide batch torrents as an alternative to instead of a replacement for single ep torrents.
AnimeFangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-08, 20:48   Link #4
Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
Batch torrents can be pretty annoying when you're looking for just 1 particular episode out of all 26/52/whatever and they're lumped up like that. I think groups should provide batch torrents as an alternative to instead of a replacement for single ep torrents.
Can a BT take the files you already have?

I mean like after the BT makes the folder, and you have the files from the same group, can't you just overwrite the files that started, I guess this would be with the window closed, and restart the torrent , saving to the same place, and have it check the files you already have and then( if they are ok) all you need to do is wait for the last one to DL?
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-08, 20:59   Link #5
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti
Can a BT take the files you already have? [...]
Yeah that woks if the files you already have are exactly the same as the ones in the batch torrent. This isn't always going to be the case, but if you want to download a file from a series (for which you already have most of the episodes by the same group), then it almost certainly will be.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-08, 23:25   Link #6
Koshiba

Send a message via AIM to Koshiba Send a message via MSN to Koshiba
I agree. Batch torrents are great especially for the older and less popular series. ^^ I recently checked out quite a few series that were recently batched and I'm glad I did.
Koshiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-08, 23:38   Link #7
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
I think it would be interesting if Groups were to release a batch as soon as they'd released 5 eps. That way people who are only casually watching it can watch the batches.
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-09, 00:34   Link #8
gravitation
Don't use animesuki now..

i like batch torrents, first i watch an episode of an anime to see if i like it then i try to get the batch torrents coz its quicker&easier to download ^_^
gravitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-09, 02:11   Link #9
Akiace

yeah. Batch torrents are good. I'm happy to get the recent re-releases of Kero Kero Chime and Getbackers. But I prefer if it's like 4-5 episodes in one batch instead of all episodes in one big batch.
Akiace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-09, 03:01   Link #10
Don Eunuch
Lin Er

I think its a good to batch too.
Don Eunuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-09, 03:12   Link #11
Anax
Animefactory Encoder

I really wish BT supported a sort of "group torrent" along with batch torrents--something that would let downloaders of single or multiple files share the same connections. (That is: person A is downloading files X, Y, and Z. Person B is downloading file X only. Person A is able to provide pieces of file X to B and vice versa. And of course a seed with X, Y, and Z is able to provide pieces to both.) It makes a lot of sense in the "series of related works" case, and not so much sense in the "directory full of stuff that isn't useful independently" case.

Hmm. I wonder if it would be possible to make a change only on the client side that allows this--it seems reasonable: the client only asks for chunks that are part of the specific file in question. Hmm. This is probably worth doing.
Anax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-09, 05:01   Link #12
Kasshin
Kasshin X Kasshin

Send a message via ICQ to Kasshin Send a message via AIM to Kasshin Send a message via MSN to Kasshin
As for the leechers who download whatever comes out first and is missing one specific episode, this is where we get back at you for being disloyal! Oh, you can just download another group's... WAIT! CRAP! THEY BATCHED THEIR TORRENTS TOO! This batch torrent movement is great...
Kasshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-09, 05:03   Link #13
Sakaki-
AnimeONE Typesetter

Yeah i agree with the above poster on all points.
Sakaki- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-09, 06:13   Link #14
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasshin
As for the leechers who download whatever comes out first and is missing one specific episode, this is where we get back at you for being disloyal! Oh, you can just download another group's... WAIT! CRAP! THEY BATCHED THEIR TORRENTS TOO! This batch torrent movement is great...
Actually it's not like that at all. Sometimes one particular episode might be corrupt or incomplete or you deleted it for one reason or another. Or you've downloaded almost all of them and you have just one to go and the only way to get it is the batch torrent. It would be a real bitch having to download all 26 episodes of goodness knows whatever anime just to get to episode 15. This is just an example, btw, I get most of my anime from irc anyway, but it happened to me once with TW Naruto 34 and I was NOT amused.
Old 2003-11-09, 06:59   Link #15
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

If you have the 3 other episodes of the 4 episode batch torrent then all you had to do was rename the 3 files you had accordingly and download to the same directory you were going to save the one file u needed to. It would check for the existing file and only download the file you needed without having to download all 4.

So for instance...you are missing episode 30 but it is batched up in a 30-33 torrent. Place episodes 31-33 in the directory you are going to download episode 30 and rename 31-33 to "[TW] - Naruto Episode 31" etc for the other two episodes... It would then check for episode 31-33 and then continue to download 30.

However, if you have other group's episodes then you are out of luck.
Enragin_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-09, 15:40   Link #16
AnimeFangirl

Ah, I see. Does that mean I have to start the torrent, let it allocate, stop, replace the surplus episodes with my own and THEN continue to download? I guess that makes sense, thanks.
Old 2003-11-09, 20:25   Link #17
Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anax
I really wish BT supported a sort of "group torrent" along with batch torrents--something that would let downloaders of single or multiple files share the same connections. (That is: person A is downloading files X, Y, and Z. Person B is downloading file X only. Person A is able to provide pieces of file X to B and vice versa. And of course a seed with X, Y, and Z is able to provide pieces to both.) It makes a lot of sense in the "series of related works" case, and not so much sense in the "directory full of stuff that isn't useful independently" case.

Hmm. I wonder if it would be possible to make a change only on the client side that allows this--it seems reasonable: the client only asks for chunks that are part of the specific file in question. Hmm. This is probably worth doing.
Good point there, I guess that might not be just a client-side change , the BitTorrent trackers could handle the interface between batch chunks and single torrent chunks. That might create some complexities in what the tracker tosses out for output ( the numbers such as leechers and seeders ).

Batches are good in the sense they force uploading a bit more than a single file.

1. Lots of leechers will dl the file and then close the window as soon as possible to start on another file
2. With a Batch Torrent as the other files are downloaded and the leech stays on longer (due to size) more users get to use the leech as temporary seed for chunks the leech already has that they don't have yet.
3. Longer sharing of chunks means better distribution , especially in older series.

YAY for Batch torrents !!
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-09, 20:32   Link #18
Kasshin
Kasshin X Kasshin

Send a message via ICQ to Kasshin Send a message via AIM to Kasshin Send a message via MSN to Kasshin
BitTorrent also fixes the corrupted episodes that you have, so you can:

1) Fix your corrupted episode
2) Download missing episode

All of this AT ONCE! Yay for batch torrents!
Kasshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-15, 10:46   Link #19
Jawa
hooded scavenger

Send a message via AIM to Jawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anax
You're right, it is a client-side thing. And it has already been done! The java client Azureus allows you to prioritize files within a batch torrent. There are "high" "normal" and "do not download" options for each file in the folder.

The other selling point (for me) of Azureus is the fact that it's one of those "torrent collectors" (like ABC) where all your torrents go in one window. This makes it much more convenient to seed (or download) a bunch of stuff at once, and the upload cap is global, shared among all your torrents, so you can put it at something respectable and not saturate your connection, while still providing the best usage of your pipe (if one upload stops, the other will pick up its share of bandwidth).

-Jawa

Last edited by Jawa; 2003-11-16 at 02:24.
Jawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-06, 13:29   Link #20
sacreth

Where can you download episodes of Gundam Seed?
sacreth is offline   Reply With Quote