AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2006-04-18, 14:33   Link #1
Maverick-jin8

x264 and mkv is a deadly combination...

Yeah, so I tried to play Doremi's sub of Keroro ep9, doesn't work. Either it's laggy, or just freezes. This is before I turn the subtitles on, if I do that then the file just crashes.

I've downloaded the codecs, the only way for it to play normally would be to spends lots of money to make MY computer up to the VERY HIGH standards that are being pushed upon the people that download anime.

Is there a way to lower the quality/turn it into a .avi so I can actually view it?

(I can play mkv and x264 files, just not the combination)
Old 2006-04-18, 14:56   Link #2
SomeWhiteGuy

x264 is bad enough as it is alone. Ugh, why do they keep making new codecs? >>_<< Xvid is fine enough.

Quote:
Is there a way to lower the quality/turn it into a .avi so I can actually view it?
Maybe with mencoder, it can do just about anything.

As for playing it,,,,, maybe use Mplayer and add the -framedrop command line. ....sorry but that's all I know (it's usually enough to fix problems i come across)
Old 2006-04-18, 15:23   Link #3
Lambda

Yeah, I've had success transcoding them into Xvid with Mencoder.
Old 2006-04-18, 18:13   Link #4
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick-jin8
(I can play mkv and x264 files, just not the combination)
Then you have enough resources to play the combination too, unless it's absurdly high resolution. You probably have some conflicting codecs, or are using a weird or broken player (*coughbsplayercough*).

Could you please post:
1. Your computer stats
2. The exact filename of what you're trying to play.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2006-04-18, 19:22   Link #5
Maverick-jin8

863MHz
384 MB of ram

[Doremi-KERORO].Keroro.Gunso.009.[x264.AAC].[D8BA178C] (MKV file)

My video driver is like 4 years old. Nvidia Riva TNT2 Model 64 / pro

And I've unistalled all my codecs, and used the CCCP thing, with both players, BSPlayer, and VLC
Old 2006-04-18, 19:40   Link #6
[darkfire]
Give them the What For!
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to [darkfire] Send a message via Yahoo to [darkfire]
thats the prob.
VLC doesnt use codecs. BSplayer (bullS**tplayer is broken software)
I suggest Media Player Classic or if your dying to be different Zoom Player.

Find the coreavc.ax file and install that and h.264 should run like a dream.
Old 2006-04-18, 22:13   Link #7
Maverick-jin8

Ok yes, that worked, thank you very much. I actually tried to download that file before, but the link was broken at the time, so I forgot about it.

Though it still lags a bit, like if the screen is really busy with animation, but it's easily fixable. Though the Gundam IGLOO movies still lag like hell.
Old 2006-04-19, 01:17   Link #8
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

864 mhz isn't enough to play H.264+AAC encoded .mkv files. I've tried to get it running on my old computer (1 ghz Pentium III with a Riva TNT2 card with 320 mb ram) and it lagged like hell.

I would recommend a pentium 4 1.6 ghz or an equivalent athlon with 512 mb ram in order to run our Keroro releases well.

Or maybe VLC can work wonders... or maybe CoreAVC can get the requirements down to 1.2 ghz.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Old 2006-04-19, 04:44   Link #9
TheFluff

With that kind of computer, h264 is a gamble. Some files might work, others might not. I guess you could try CoreAVC... VLC almost certainly won't suffice, though.

On a side notice, the CoreAVC alpha that has been circulating is NOT freely distributeable. We (the CCCP staff) got contacted by CoreCodec, who asked us nicely (as in, not a legal threat or anything) to remove it from the site... but they also said that if we didn't, they'd be more or less forced to take legal action against us to get it removed. This isn't because they're evil, but because they, for patent reasons, are somehow RESPONSIBLE for the copies of the decoder.
So... if you want it, buy it.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2006-04-20, 18:56   Link #10
Deku Kirby

Even with 1.7ghz, 512mb of RAM and a 128mb card, Keroro still lags when I try to watch it...a real drag, since I've been waiting half a year for a new episode.
Old 2006-04-21, 01:41   Link #11
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

That's strange... what kind of processor is it? As long as it's a Pentium 4 or an equivalent Athlon, using CoreAVC + Media Player Classic + Haeli's splitter should be able to run Keroro Gunso.

My mom's laptop is 1.7 ghz Pentium4 with a 32 mb integrated card and with AVC it runs the file perfectly.

Old 2006-04-21, 04:19   Link #12
TheFluff

I have a 1.4 GHz Celeron laptop with 512 MB RAM that plays all h264 stuff below 720x480 without breaking a sweat, even with ffdshow.

Old 2006-04-21, 19:13   Link #13
ChristianHJW
Matroska Team Member

The most effective h.264 MKV player is the win32 version of TCPMP, The Core Pocket Mediaplayer ( http://picard.exceed.hu/tcpmp/test/ ), but only in combination with the CoreAVC plugin ( avc.plg ) and the CoreAAC plugin ( aac.plg ).
I once heard the latter were illegally distributed on ED2k once .... what a shame !!

Christian
matroska project admin
Old 2006-04-21, 21:09   Link #14
Deku Kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart
That's strange... what kind of processor is it? As long as it's a Pentium 4 or an equivalent Athlon, using CoreAVC + Media Player Classic + Haeli's splitter should be able to run Keroro Gunso.

My mom's laptop is 1.7 ghz Pentium4 with a 32 mb integrated card and with AVC it runs the file perfectly.
Pentium 4. That's why I'm so confused. I'm using VLC + ffdshow + Haeli's splitter.
Old 2006-04-21, 21:31   Link #15
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deku Kirby
Pentium 4. That's why I'm so confused. I'm using VLC + ffdshow + Haeli's splitter.
Vlc uses it's own internal codecs, so ffdshow and Haeli's splitter won't matter. Check to see if you have the latest build of vlc. Some of the older versions don't handle all h.264 files that well. If that doesn't work, try another player like mpc which does rely on external codecs.
Old 2006-04-23, 02:25   Link #16
reflection
gyabo!~

Send a message via MSN to reflection
Does anyone here perhaps know how to take advantage of HDvideo acceleration from your graphics card? Personally, I'm wondering if I can make use of my nVidia's Purevideo. I'm actually not sure if my situation is CPU limited or not, but it'll be great to take some load off of the main processor. This is for video that's playing at or above 1280*720, and the problem is the slowness of the controls and timeline on the player. The video plays fine without any hiccups...
Old 2006-04-25, 22:51   Link #17
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

I'm not sure myself, but ATI's drivers had something about GPU powered video playback... not sure about Nvidia's though.

Old 2006-04-26, 01:16   Link #18
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

Hey, another thread for people who have never encoded and have 5 year old computers to bitch about x264 in! Awesome!

You newbs probably don't remember but there was a resistance moving to XviD because DivX 3.11 was "good enough" (I was an early XviD adopter as well). Hah. Idiots. When the next big thing comes out, if you guys are still around, you'll just be shaking your heads when the new newbs say "H.264 isn't necessary!"

Anyway, get your parents to buy you a new computer for your birthday. You need about $100 to upgrade to an Athlon XP if you don't need RAM, and about $150 total if you do. Throw in another $30 for a Geforce 6200 or something if you need that. Big deal. When I used to work part time at the local movie theater, that was only 1-2 weeks of pay.
Old 2006-04-26, 01:49   Link #19
Soluzar

Send a message via AIM to Soluzar Send a message via MSN to Soluzar Send a message via Yahoo to Soluzar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeWhiteGuy
x264 is bad enough as it is alone. Ugh, why do they keep making new codecs? >>_<< Xvid is fine enough.
Compare H.264 to XViD, and the result will generally be smaller files, same quality. You don't want the ability to download your fansubs faster, then? :P

Naturally, the files don't have to be smaller. They can be the same size for greater quality, but when you're working with TV rips, as in the fansubbing game, there's a limit to how much much quality is inherent in the raw, so fansubs should soon start being quite a bit smaller.
Old 2006-05-03, 13:01   Link #20
Aloron Bunny
Chibi Magical Girl Mascot

Send a message via ICQ to Aloron Bunny Send a message via AIM to Aloron Bunny Send a message via MSN to Aloron Bunny Send a message via Yahoo to Aloron Bunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianHJW
The most effective h.264 MKV player is the win32 version of TCPMP, The Core Pocket Mediaplayer ( http://picard.exceed.hu/tcpmp/test/ ), but only in combination with the CoreAVC plugin ( avc.plg ) and the CoreAAC plugin ( aac.plg ).
I once heard the latter were illegally distributed on ED2k once .... what a shame !!

Christian
matroska project admin
Thank you Chrissy. I managed to 'accidentially' stumble over said plgs... someone tossed them in a dumpster! I didn't want them to go to waste! And they do run h264 rather well. Of course, that movie player has no option for showing subtitles. So watching Sergeant Frog is still impossible in this case since they didn't put the subtitles into the video itself. Not that I can tell anyway, since they decided to use a horribly small and unreadable cursive font for the advanced menu