AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2015-06-18, 17:32   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

The Oh-so-many Mass-Shooting incident in the US of A...... thread

The purpose of this thread is pretty much to document the mass shooting event that takes place in the USA. The thread will not be used to discuss any policies related to guns since that type of conversation gets a few people riled up. We are just going to discuss the events as they happen and try to put things in context. Try to answer questions such as who did it and why, what leads to it and etc....

The thread will also serve as a place to compile the so very many mass shooting that seem to take place in this country. Let's get started with the South Carolina one....

Charleston Church Shooting Suspect, Dylann Storm Roof, Is Captured

In this instance it appears the individual was motivated by hate. He was also a drug addict. In his last encounter with the police, he was surveying a mall and was trying to find out how many employees it had and what was their shift schedule.

May those nine people rest in peace.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-19, 08:08   Link #2
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I think Jon Stewart summed it up best, for both Americans and foreigners like me, who just can't fathom why such violence,
and the means to commit it, can be allowed to continue with regularity in America.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-19, 22:48   Link #3
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
The purpose of this thread is pretty much to document the mass shooting event that takes place in the USA. The thread will not be used to discuss any policies related to guns since that type of conversation gets a few people riled up. We are just going to discuss the events as they happen and try to put things in context. Try to answer questions such as who did it and why, what leads to it and etc....

The thread will also serve as a place to compile the so very many mass shooting that seem to take place in this country. Let's get started with the South Carolina one....

Charleston Church Shooting Suspect, Dylann Storm Roof, Is Captured

In this instance it appears the individual was motivated by hate. He was also a drug addict. In his last encounter with the police, he was surveying a mall and was trying to find out how many employees it had and what was their shift schedule.

May those nine people rest in peace.
I'll drop this here :

Churchgoer with concealed carry permit stops man with shotgun

There has to be a roadmap for inclusion and racial harmony. Of course the ones wanting to be included will have to adapt to the American way of life, meaning which letting go of excessive religious practices, certain worldviews (white, black, yellow supremacism, etc) and statewide integration programmes (instead of just some stupid "Christian way of life" event).

Until the White House gets their heads together, concealed carries are the best stopgap.

Oh yes, and the news need to start reporting alternative incidents where would-be shooters are stopped by an armed citizen.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-20, 00:38   Link #4
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I think Jon Stewart summed it up best, for both Americans and foreigners like me, who just can't fathom why such violence,
and the means to commit it, can be allowed to continue with regularity in America.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Yea I saw this earlier and agree he summed it up really well without getting political about it even.

Really the non-action about it compared to the action America takes against terrorism is just really crazy, it makes no sense at all.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-20, 08:02   Link #5
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Charleston church shooter planned first to attack college: media
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0P008D20150620

NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0P006N20150620
Do the guy has a point, maybe?, but it pretty much another case of blaming the victim. The one responsible for the 9 death is the shooter, not the victim.
Old 2015-06-20, 12:13   Link #6
maplehurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

Until the White House gets their heads together, concealed carries are the best stopgap.
It will work, and then the terrorists would move on to making bombs.

Last edited by maplehurry; 2015-06-20 at 14:18. Reason: edited out "gun discussion" part as mandated by TC
maplehurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-20, 15:33   Link #7
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

There is a massive lack of education in the US about racial tolerance and about social evolution, that's why we keep having those problems. Furthermore, we have just too many people who don't take their share of individual social responsibility when they should and can.

And that is without saying how it's too easy for people to get the right tools to commit mass murder in that country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0P006N20150620
Do the guy has a point, maybe?, but it pretty much another case of blaming the victim. The one responsible for the 9 death is the shooter, not the victim.
That executive can get stuffed AFAIK. He's a total prick for even daring to say that.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-21, 13:52   Link #8
maplehurry

Dylann Roof 'Almost Didn't Go Through' With Charleston Church Shooting

Quote:
Roof told police that he "almost didn't go through with it because everyone was so nice to him," sources told NBC News — but he decided he had to "go through with his mission."
maplehurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-21, 17:54   Link #9
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
So it's not "wholesome good family values" that could potentially stop him?
Old 2015-06-23, 07:16   Link #10
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Why the South Carolina shooting suspect should not be called a terrorist
http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debat...d-a-terrorist/

To me, the last argument if most likely the best but, it still piss me off than those asshole of his kind get ''saved'' for the ''terrorist etiquette'' while they killed more US citizens after 9/11 on the USA than islamists.
Old 2015-06-23, 11:00   Link #11
Nicaea

This might sound offensive to people from the US, but their history is built upon bloodshed. It wouldn't be odd to think that the US has a somewhat violent culture. To me, the real problem is: will these events turn into civil unrest? The last thing needed is vigilantism.
Nicaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-26, 15:05   Link #12
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Why the South Carolina shooting suspect should not be called a terrorist
http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debat...d-a-terrorist/

To me, the last argument if most likely the best but, it still piss me off than those asshole of his kind get ''saved'' for the ''terrorist etiquette'' while they killed more US citizens after 9/11 on the USA than islamists.
If the US, after reflection, wants to "retire" the term "terrorist", it should do so. Same for the death penalty. But it should do so on principle, not to leap to the defence whose only "merit" is to not be a Muslim.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-23, 21:13   Link #13
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Shooting at a movie theater.. Lafayette, LA

The details are still coming.................
Old 2015-07-23, 21:34   Link #14
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicaea View Post
This might sound offensive to people from the US, but their history is built upon bloodshed.
Unlike, say, Europe or Asia with their centuries of warfare?

What differentiates America most from other advanced industrial countries is not any greater tendency to violence in the population, but the widespread availability of firearms. One ray of hope is that gun ownership has fallen in each generation that has come of age since 1945.

The apparent rise in ownership among older Millennials is troubling but may be short-lived; see the article for details.

Only a third of US households reported having a gun present in 2010. Estimates of the total number of guns in the US put the figure around 300 million, compared to 120 million or so households in the same year. If 40 million households own 300 million guns, the average gun-owning household averages some 7-8 firearms each.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2015-07-23 at 21:52.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-01, 18:29   Link #15
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Mass Shooting at Umpqua Community College in Oregon.
Old 2015-10-01, 19:34   Link #16
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Unlike, say, Europe or Asia with their centuries of warfare?

What differentiates America most from other advanced industrial countries is not any greater tendency to violence in the population, but the widespread availability of firearms. One ray of hope is that gun ownership has fallen in each generation that has come of age since 1945.

The apparent rise in ownership among older Millennials is troubling but may be short-lived; see the article for details.

Only a third of US households reported having a gun present in 2010. Estimates of the total number of guns in the US put the figure around 300 million, compared to 120 million or so households in the same year. If 40 million households own 300 million guns, the average gun-owning household averages some 7-8 firearms each.
You can bet that number is a bit low. A lot of people dont even report what they do or dont own anymore.
Old 2015-10-01, 20:01   Link #17
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
You can bet that number is a bit low. A lot of people dont even report what they do or dont own anymore.
Evidence?

How about the patterns of ownership by age and generation? Are young people more likely to misrepresent their ownership today than a decade or two ago? More likely to misrepresent than older Americans? Why?

Let's see your data, and then we can talk.

By the way, refusal rates are tiny and show no upward trend.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-01, 22:46   Link #18
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
I heard from VOA News that the shooter "asks 'what's your religion' first, shoots later".
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-01, 23:09   Link #19
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Evidence?

How about the patterns of ownership by age and generation? Are young people more likely to misrepresent their ownership today than a decade or two ago? More likely to misrepresent than older Americans? Why?

Let's see your data, and then we can talk.

By the way, refusal rates are tiny and show no upward trend.
Do you belong to any gun forums? Visit any shooting ranges? Spend time with gun owners? Or are you relying on a study that asks people over the phone what they have? how many gun shows do you attend a year? What's your background with firearms and the people who own them? I've spent my entire life in that community. Member of multiple ranges, I go to at least two gun shows every year, belong to multiple forums, it's one of the hobbies I've had got my first firearm over two decades ago.

And my comment was about the 7-8 guns per gun owning household. Not necessarily the number of gun owning households was low. Sorry if that wasnt clear. Guns exchange hands quite often without the Government ever knowing about it.

Thank God I am a resident of a state that believes in Gun ownership. Can legally open or conceal carry without an issue.

Last edited by justinstrife; 2015-10-01 at 23:21.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-02, 11:39   Link #20
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
another loser who can't get a date and decide to take it out on the world.