AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2021-06-29, 10:13   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1018 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

That time is here! Credit goes to AP's Redon and co. for spoiler info:

-Chapter title is "Jinbei vs. Who's Who". Splash features Page One and Ulti.

-The enemy pirates start going after Tama! However, she's being protected by the Gifters and other crew members who turned traitor. As she and Nami escape riding on Speed (with Usopp trailing behind), the navigator tells Zeus that they're now partners, which makes the cloud happy. Meanwhile, CP0 continues assessing the situation: With so many on the enemy side turning traitor, the numbers are now 16,000 for Kaidou, and 9000 for the samurai! Ultimately, one of the CP0 agents doesn't actually care which side emerges victorious, as long as one particular individual gets killed.... Who's Who. According to another agent, while WW knows some confidential government intel, it's outdated to the point that it wouldn't really cause any damage, were it to leak. Nonetheless, allowing a fugitive like him to live would set a bad precedent for the WG. They wonder if he'll survive against Jinbei.....

-Back to bout between Jinbei and Who's Who, the latter curses Shanks for stealing the Gomu Gomu no Mi! He also curses Luffy for not only consuming the fruit, but also wearing Shanks' hat, as well! He then explains that while in prison, he heard a story about a legendary warrior known as Nika the Sun God who would one day come to free all the world's slaves.. This story helped him survive prison, as he prayed to Nika while enduring torture during his incarceration. Later, he discovered that the guard who originally shared the tale with him suddenly disappeared.... so he decided to bust out of the clink before he became the next one to "vanish". He then asks Jinbei if he knows anything about this mysterious warrior, since he just so happens to be former captain of the Sun Pirates, which was even comprised of ex-slaves. Furthermore, he wants to know why Nika seems to be such a taboo topic.

-However, his questions only serve to enrage Jinbei, whose armament haki ends up breaking Who's Who's fingers in the middle of an attack! As the battle heats up, the knight of the sea tells the former agent to not question him about history without a weak resolve! He then unleashes his secret technique on the enemy: Oni Gawara Seiken (Demon Tile Fist)! The attack seems to have taken out his adversary....!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2021-07-01 at 11:35.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-29, 10:32   Link #2
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I hope Sun God isn't simply another name/title for Joyboy. Perhaps he was one of his comrades? Whatever Joyboy did, I doubt he was alone after all.
Old 2021-06-29, 13:14   Link #3
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

So why would he blame Shanks for that? I start to feel like there are some inconsistencies for the timeline itself. Who's Who was at the prison 10 years before the story started, so I doubt Shanks can steal it. He probably got the news when he was out from the Prison and heard that Shanks crew seize the fruit.

Does the tale of the Sun God may related to the Taiyo Pirates? We could need some more connections in the upcoming chapter.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-01, 11:52   Link #4
marvelB

Summary updated! Boy, that look on Zeus' face when Nami called him her partner.... looks like Sanji has a true love rival, now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I hope Sun God isn't simply another name/title for Joyboy. Perhaps he was one of his comrades? Whatever Joyboy did, I doubt he was alone after all.
Well, the good news is that it indeed seems like Nika (the Sun God) is a separate entity from Joy Boy. But the problem is, there's still several questions like, is the info about him really outdated, as CP0 said? And what about Jinbei's reaction to Who's Who's lines of questioning? It seems to indicate he does know something about Nika, but what? Perhaps he was a fish-man from the void era, which is why Jinbei got so angry? Definitely looking forward to learning more about this guy....
Old 2021-07-02, 07:26   Link #5
Rainbowman

I wonder if Nika the Sun God is somehow related to Fisher Tiger since Jinbe is rather personal about the subject.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-02, 08:08   Link #6
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Well, the good news is that it indeed seems like Nika (the Sun God) is a separate entity from Joy Boy. But the problem is, there's still several questions like, is the info about him really outdated, as CP0 said? And what about Jinbei's reaction to Who's Who's lines of questioning? It seems to indicate he does know something about Nika, but what? Perhaps he was a fish-man from the void era, which is why Jinbei got so angry? Definitely looking forward to learning more about this guy....
I don't know, the way he's described as bringing laughter/smiles to people kinda of screams JOYboy. And Jinbe seemed more pissed off about Who's who's remarks about Fishmen than his story about Nika. But it is likely the legend of Nika has been passed down among the Fishmen and been a source of hope for them.
Old 2021-07-02, 09:33   Link #7
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

The Pigeonhole Principle tells me that Nika is most likely Joyboy. But knowing Oda, he might just create another character just for that. Its just too early to tell.

Anyways, cool fight Jinbe.
Old 2021-07-02, 21:02   Link #8
marvelB

Forgot to comment on it, but awesome fight between Jinbei and Who's Who! Nice and furious, it is! But while it seems the battle concluded this chapter, something occurred to me: If Who's Who is really a genius who rivals Lucci, then that should mean he's capable of using the same secret Rokushiki technique Lucci used on Luffy, Roku Ougan (or Six Kings Gun). We haven't seen the former agent use that technique (or some variant of it) against Jinbei so far, so he may not be down for the count, just yet....

Quote:
I don't know, the way he's described as bringing laughter/smiles to people kinda of screams JOYboy. And Jinbe seemed more pissed off about Who's who's remarks about Fishmen than his story about Nika. But it is likely the legend of Nika has been passed down among the Fishmen and been a source of hope for them.
Well, maybe. But as you yourself pointed out, it's pretty doubtful that Joy Boy's journey back then was a solitary one. Nika could have been a comrade of his who fought to free those oppressed by the (then) future WG. That, and the "Sun God" epithet sorta makes me think that he may have been a sky islander. The Eneru ministory already established that there was a moon civilization, so perhaps.... well, I'm not suggesting that there was a civilization on the sun itself, but maybe there was a sky society named after the sun or something? Plus, it would kinda fit with what the samurai and minks constantly say about bringing the world back to "dawn". Y'know, since the Sun God and/or his people would have represented freedom for all races or something like that. And maybe it's just me, but I still kinda feel that the former warlord knows more about Nika than he's letting on....
Old 2021-07-02, 22:45   Link #9
Jmariofan7

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Forgot to comment on it, but awesome fight between Jinbei and Who's Who! Nice and furious, it is! But while it seems the battle concluded this chapter, something occurred to me: If Who's Who is really a genius who rivals Lucci, then that should mean he's capable of using the same secret Rokushiki technique Lucci used on Luffy, Roku Ougan (or Six Kings Gun). We haven't seen the former agent use that technique (or some variant of it) against Jinbei so far, so he may not be down for the count, just yet....

Well, maybe. But as you yourself pointed out, it's pretty doubtful that Joy Boy's journey back then was a solitary one. Nika could have been a comrade of his who fought to free those oppressed by the (then) future WG. That, and the "Sun God" epithet sorta makes me think that he may have been a sky islander. The Eneru ministory already established that there was a moon civilization, so perhaps.... well, I'm not suggesting that there was a civilization on the sun itself, but maybe there was a sky society named after the sun or something? Plus, it would kinda fit with what the samurai and minks constantly say about bringing the world back to "dawn". Y'know, since the Sun God and/or his people would have represented freedom for all races or something like that. And maybe it's just me, but I still kinda feel that the former warlord knows more about Nika than he's letting on....

Regarding Nika this picture seems to suggest something: https://is2.4chan.org/a/1625259270385.png

And this https://is2.4chan.org/a/1625252505431.png
Jmariofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-04, 15:33   Link #10
Hoodspirit

Thought the official translation would clear things up, but it didn't.
Who's Who: "My time in prison felt so endless I actually clung to that strange legend of theirs."
Also Who's Who: "And that prison guard who told me the story of Nika? They disappeared days later ... So I risked it all to escape"

Either he has the patience of a fly or something got lost in translation.
(like the 2nd thousand traitors and casulties.)
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-04, 16:02   Link #11
necrolyte

This story about Nika is missing something or was lost in translation. Other than that great chapter, haven't seen fishman techniques from quite some time and they look really awesome imo.
necrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-04, 18:03   Link #12
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
Thought the official translation would clear things up, but it didn't.
Who's Who: "My time in prison felt so endless I actually clung to that strange legend of theirs."
Also Who's Who: "And that prison guard who told me the story of Nika? They disappeared days later ... So I risked it all to escape"

Either he has the patience of a fly or something got lost in translation.
(like the 2nd thousand traitors and casulties.)
None of the translations I've read made sense, which probably means it doesn't make sense in Japanese either. It's something that will probably be fixed in the volume release. Or handwaved by Oda in a SBS.

No one is talking about it but did Jinbei wrap himself in Conqueror's Haki? There was black lightning and he suddenly got a lot more durable.
Old 2021-07-05, 20:59   Link #13
cyberdemon

Quote:
They were probably both inheritors of D during the void century. Like there are many Ds during the current time
Old 2021-07-06, 08:17   Link #14
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

It makes me wondering how did Fisher Tiger got an idea of using Sun and naming his pirate Sun Pirates.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-09, 10:53   Link #15
Kaz_

Dude went down extremely fast even for a cheap Rob Lucci clone.
Kaz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-09, 18:38   Link #16
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz_ View Post
He was up against a former Shichibukai. The opposite would have been surprising.
Old 2021-07-09, 22:14   Link #17
Theia_Loki

The only feasible moment where Who's Who could have broken out of prison (depends on which one he was locked up in, assuming it was Impel Down's Level 6) would be after Luffy and Ivankov's breakout and Blackbeard recruiting from the prisoners during the Whitebeard War, especially since that's the only logical moment in the timeline where he could have feasibly escaped. Then again, it still depends on if he was either locked away in either Impel Down (which it sounds like, but he'd still have been a relatively new yet highly experienced recruit to Kaido's forces) or in a regular prison cell beforehand (again, assuming whether he's been working with Kaido's crew for longer than two years or not).

But one thing still has me worried regarding the World Government (WG)'s interest in the Gomu Gomu no Mi, and that's all due to one very crucial detail: Doctor Vegapunk and his knowledge of the Lineage Factor.
The man himself did manage to create a replica of Kaido's Uo Uo no Mi, Model: Azure Dragon at Punk Hazard via Kaido's body from at least one of the few times when the Navy managed to capture him (the fruit, which Momo ate, was still a "failure" though, but it sure as heck wasn't something small either). Combining that with the WG's interest in Giantification, including how unstoppable they would have been if they could create an entire army of Giants, leads to one very concerned thought: Considering what Luffy himself was capable of already with his own merit including those granted just from the fruit itself on top of that, how much more dangerous could the WG's own forces become if they were able to mass replicate even a small portion of the fruit's capabilities? Or even if they could add that on top of those already wielded by their current Naval Officers and Agents?
When you really think about it in practical terms (i.e. Marine Soldiers able to Gomu Gomu no Rocket themselves en mass at an enemy fortification, plus shrug off blunt attacks and vast falls), it really makes Luffy's "silly" abilities sound like something akin to a gamechanger.
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-10, 07:05   Link #18
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Vegapunk claimed the fruit was a failure, but it doesn't mean that it was. It sure seems to be working fine to me, Momo just lacks control. I think he lied because he realized how dangerous this research was.
Old 2021-07-10, 12:36   Link #19
Theia_Loki

Quote:
Vegapunk claimed the fruit was a failure, but it doesn't mean that it was. It sure seems to be working fine to me, Momo just lacks control. I think he lied because he realized how dangerous this research was.
That might explain why Vegapunk only attempted the one fruit (that we know of thus far), which is heavily contrasted with Caesar and Doflamingo making what had to have been at least a couple thousand severely flawed fruits (The SMILEs) for war and profits. But just because Vegapunk is implied to be opposed to pursuing this doesn't mean that others in the WG won't, which also has me worried that they'll eventually find a work-around to the whole 1:1 ratio issue with DFs to users allowing them to have that sort of advantage.
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-14, 09:47   Link #20
Jmariofan7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
They were probably both inheritors of D during the void century. Like there are many Ds during the current time
Did anyone even look at the pictures I posted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz_ View Post
Assuming he actually is down for the count, you are jumping to conclusions too early.
Jmariofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote