AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-01, 13:22   Link #1
Napoleon's Hat

Birdy the Mighty + Evolution Manga

I noticed there wasn't a thread for the "Birdy the Mighty" manga. It's written by Masami Yuki, who was the primary creative force behind Patlabor.

Quote:
Birdy Cephon Altera is a Federation agent chasing interplanetary criminals to the planet Earth. While in pursuit of one, she accidentally kills a high school boy named Tsutomu Senkawa. Fortunately for Tsutomu, there is a way to keep him alive, although he ends up merged into Birdy's body and must remain so until the repair of his body is complete.

So Tsutomu is stuck sharing a body with an attractive, strong - if impulsive - space police agent, while trying to keep his family and friends from finding out about Birdy. In the meantime, Birdy continues her investigation. Together, they take on a secretive group of evil aliens planning to perform experiments on the unsuspecting inhabitants of Earth.
It's currently being translated at a rate of a chapter a week by http://twobig.blogspot.com/

Online viewing:
http://mangahut.com/manga/Birdy_The_Mighty

Last edited by Napoleon's Hat; 2010-02-08 at 02:27.
Old 2009-08-14, 11:25   Link #2
Napoleon's Hat

Well, now it looks like 2BIG, the scanslators have decided to take an indefinite hiatus.

Quote:
Hey guys, besides the overall burn out fall is coming quick. And in fall comes Japanese proficiency tests. Between GoE and I, we plan on taking several different ones, so time previously spent on Birdy needs to now be spent on study. You may not know this, but in Japan, tests mean everything when it comes to getting a job. You could be completly bilingual, have lived in Japan for 40 years, but if you haven't passed the test, your resume will just be thrown away.

But even so, poor GoE isn't a girl who can quit in the middle of something, so we have to get to a stopping place or she'll go insane. The next good place to stop is the end of "The Child of Quarter" story arc. Thus, Volume 4 Chapter 7 will be our final release.

Now do I mean "FINAL" final? Maybe. We don't know yet. Tests will go all the way till the end of this year. But in January 2010 we will no longer be studying. So check back then and you may just find a stream of new chapters. I'll be sure to give some more updates on our thoughts as we work up to our final chapter.
-- http://twobig.blogspot.com/2009/08/b...ouncement.html

Well it;s certainly understandable that they need a break, it leaves the reader out in the cold. Especially when the story was really picking up. Birdy and Tsutomu were getting used to each other, Revi had made her presence know to Birdy through the dolls, Botulous was threatening Gomez's family, and Birdy was clashing with the other inspectors.

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/birdy_the_mighty_ii/
Old 2009-09-20, 23:11   Link #3
Napoleon's Hat

Well, the hiatus has officially begun. The last chapter showed Revi killing Botulous, and Tsutomu's friend getting more suspicious. It also looks like Undine's fully recovered, and killed two alien spies from the federation.

A new scanslation group needs to be found pronto.

If you haven't, start catching up now. It's easily the best action series being published.

And if you can or know somebody who can scanslate this series, please lend a hand.

I'm really hoping a big group with enough manpower for weekly updates could take over, like Franky House, but anything would be good at this point. So if you know anybody in a group, or want to scanslate it for yourself, then follow he links bellow. Contact anyone who might be able to help.

Raws for the series (Volume 1-20) are at: http://rawscans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=974
Evolution RAWS are at: http://mangahelpers.com/m/birdythemightyevolution

It would be great if someone could get the scanslations caught up with the Japanese releases, but that might be a while off.
Old 2009-09-21, 19:44   Link #4
AdventSleeper

Yes I definitely hope that a group could pick this up, I was really starting to like this manga, but I'll wait, no matter how long it takes .
Old 2009-09-24, 14:29   Link #5
Napoleon's Hat

I really want to read the next volume. Birdy fights federal agents from the Pentagon, and Capella finally shows up. Also, Tsutomu's friend who was injured by Botulous becomes part of Revi's experiments.

Is anyone else reading this?
Old 2009-10-12, 01:16   Link #6
narmi
The Asian who's Malaysian

I've only read a preview chapter of the Tsetsuwan Birdy in a bookstore.

For some reason I prefer the character design for Birdy in the manga

http://www.nanofate.us/ NanoFate main website Weiss Schwarz Facebook Group - Deck theme: MSLN Nanoha
Old 2009-10-12, 15:14   Link #7
Napoleon's Hat

Well, looks like somebody's willing to start scanslating the series again!

http://twobig.blogspot.com/2009/09/b...35293441894411

I might just send him the links to the raws to make sure he gets them. Now all the series needs is an official English release. I just found out it's available in France, and became jealous.
Old 2009-10-13, 05:03   Link #8
golthin

well, I finished reading all the chapter of Birdy2 and Evolution and it was good. I am a little disappointed in the romance department as
Spoiler for about pairings in evolution:
Old 2009-10-13, 05:30   Link #9
Napoleon's Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
well, I finished reading all the chapter of Birdy2 and Evolution and it was good. I am a little disappointed in the romance department as
Spoiler for about pairings in evolution:
Tsutomu just can't catch a break. Birdy can't even give him dating tips because she's practically asexual.
Old 2009-10-14, 01:55   Link #10
Napoleon's Hat

Does anybody know where I can find raws for Evolution?
Old 2009-10-14, 04:16   Link #11
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon's Hat View Post
Does anybody know where I can find raws for Evolution?
someone posted the links 7 post above yours, you should read the whole thread.
Old 2009-10-14, 05:16   Link #12
Napoleon's Hat

Quote:
someone posted the links 7 post above yours, you should read the whole thread.
I know. That was me. But Mangahelpers took down some of the chapters and hasn't updated for a while.
Old 2009-10-14, 05:27   Link #13
golthin

Quote:
I know. That was me. But Mangahelpers took down some of the chapters and hasn't updated for a while.
they are missing 11-12 only as far as I know.
Old 2009-10-14, 14:43   Link #14
Napoleon's Hat

Quote:
they are missing 11-12 only as far as I know.
They used to have up to chapter 30.
Old 2009-10-20, 15:07   Link #15
Napoleon's Hat

How long have Birdy and Tsutomu been stuck together anyway? and how old is Birdy? Tsutomu's 18, obviously, and I new Birdy is at least a couple of years older than him, but has an age ever been given?
Old 2009-10-28, 05:49   Link #16
Napoleon's Hat

Looks like all the RAWs are caught up at Mangahelpers.
Old 2009-10-29, 04:00   Link #17
Napoleon's Hat

Why did Birdy go inter hibernation inside Tsutomu for two years between the first series and Evolution?
Old 2009-10-29, 07:56   Link #18
golthin

Quote:
Why did Birdy go inter hibernation inside Tsutomu for two years between the first series and Evolution?
because there has not been a reason for her to take over the body. Her primary mission was catching that guy. I don't think she was in complete hibernation, she probably came out to take baths
Old 2009-11-13, 16:19   Link #19
Napoleon's Hat

Just looked at the Raws for 35 and 36. Looks like Undine's back, but she's missing an eye and has no memories (She's acting like a normal girl).
Old 2009-11-27, 15:31   Link #20
Napoleon's Hat

Spoiler for Birdy Evolution Chapter 38:
Closed Thread