Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-02-10, 05:28   Link #1
The Bloodlust Kid
Needs a better screenname

Send a message via AIM to The Bloodlust Kid
Encoding errors

This problem seem to have appeared recently.

For a while now, I was able to see Japanese text on Youtube normally.

Now some parts are read as gibberish:

It really shouldn't bother me, but it's just a personal pet peeve of mine to see it as nothing but gibberish.
The Bloodlust Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-10, 10:36   Link #2
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Looks like it is utf-8 encoded. Switch to utf-8 decoding, then it should show up fine.
Old 2007-02-10, 14:18   Link #3
Cyz
"Show it to me"

I need help on encoding. I tried encoding Code Geass 16 (MKV) to an .avi files (and in XviD). When it finished encoding, it was working fine but the subtitles has a little extras on it. Like at the end of the subtitle sentence there's a bunch of letters, numbers, and symbols attach to it. I use All To Avi btw. I know that some people will say why bother converting it and just watch mkv, but for the sake of the problem, what do I do? I thought the mkv file got corrupted so I tried downloading it again but it's giving me the same results.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-10, 14:26   Link #4
The Bloodlust Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto Lin View Post
Looks like it is utf-8 encoded. Switch to utf-8 decoding, then it should show up fine.
How do I do that?... It's Firefox if that matters.
Old 2007-02-10, 14:29   Link #5
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bloodlust Kid View Post
How do I do that?... It's Firefox if that matters.
From the menu bar, select "view", then go to "character encoding", and select the one that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz View Post
I need help on encoding. I tried encoding Code Geass 16 (MKV) to an .avi files (and in XviD). When it finished encoding, it was working fine but the subtitles has a little extras on it. Like at the end of the subtitle sentence there's a bunch of letters, numbers, and symbols attach to it. I use All To Avi btw. I know that some people will say why bother converting it and just watch mkv, but for the sake of the problem, what do I do? I thought the mkv file got corrupted so I tried downloading it again but it's giving me the same results.
Ok, I haven't tried that before for the file types you mention, but, I usually use Super (a free and good converter program) to convert between files, and except for some unsupported file types, it works well. You can give it a try and see if that would also give the same set of errors you observe or would work properly.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-11, 01:59   Link #6
The Bloodlust Kid

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt View Post
From the menu bar, select "view", then go to "character encoding", and select the one that works.

Ok, I haven't tried that before for the file types you mention, but, I usually use Super (a free and good converter program) to convert between files, and except for some unsupported file types, it works well. You can give it a try and see if that would also give the same set of errors you observe or would work properly.
Dammit, I did that and selected "Japanese (Shift JIS)" but it came out as even more gibberish.
Old 2007-02-11, 02:47   Link #7
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c r υ

Quote:
Dammit, I did that and selected "Japanese (Shift JIS)" but it came out as even more gibberish.
I also selected Japanese Shift_JIS, and the characters look like Japanese-kind of characters.

Here is what I get:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-02-11, 05:09   Link #8
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt View Post
I also selected Japanese Shift_JIS, and the characters look like Japanese-kind of characters.

Here is what I get:
Spoiler:
Shift-Jis is wrong. Believe me, it has to be utf-8 here. I know since I made a little test on utf-8 in another thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...=39927&page=2). There you can see the utf-8 encoding for の which is precisly の since the little square stands for a unsupported character (0x0081) in western codepage settings, it won't show up in the graphics, but you can tell the part was meant to mean の (quite plausible given the name of the series right?)

Though why doesn't it work with your browser? Because the person that has written this text, encoded the thing twice:

utf-8 encoding of utf-8:
Quote:
ã²ãã‚‰ã—ã®ãªãé ƒã« rena 竜宮レムオープニンã‚
utf-8 encoding:

Quote:
ひぐらしのなく に rena 竜宮レナ オープニング
NCR encoding:

Quote:
ひぐらしのなく頠?に rena 竜宮レナ オープニング

Last edited by Jinto; 2007-02-11 at 05:20.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-11, 19:07   Link #9
The Bloodlust Kid

Quote:
Shift-Jis is wrong. Believe me, it has to be utf-8 here. I know since I made a little test on utf-8 in another thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...=39927&page=2). There you can see the utf-8 encoding for の which is precisly の since the little square stands for a unsupported character (0x0081) in western codepage settings, it won't show up in the graphics, but you can tell the part was meant to mean の (quite plausible given the name of the series right?)

Though why doesn't it work with your browser? Because the person that has written this text, encoded the thing twice:

utf-8 encoding of utf-8:

utf-8 encoding:

NCR encoding:
Huh, I set my browser to UTF-8 and that second line came normally. But viewing it on Youtube still produces gibberish. My computer must hate Youtube.
Old 2007-02-11, 19:18   Link #10
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c r υ

Quote:
Huh, I set my browser to UTF-8 and that second line came normally. But viewing it on Youtube still produces gibberish. My computer must hate Youtube.
I think Jinto Lin tried to say that the second line is what it should be, if it was encoded with utf-8 *one time*. The first line is the one that is taken from youtube, and it is the *double encoded* one.

So, it is more like the fault of the poster (or the site, if it re-encodes the already encoded line) than the browser.
Old 2007-02-12, 14:03   Link #11
Tiberium Wolf

Since you ppl are talking about character encoding... is there a site(Unless you want to explain) where they explain those character encoding we see in the firefox?
Old 2007-02-12, 14:40   Link #12
hhaamu
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
is there a site
Yes, actually, there is

(actually, any browser is fine to me as long as it doesn't use IE's rendering engine...)
Generating the #animesuki stats since 2003
hhaamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 17:42   Link #13
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaamu View Post
LOL... I should have known that there would be info there.
Old 2007-03-01, 16:12   Link #14
Cyz
"Show it to me"

I recently downloaded SUPER and I need help on filling out stuffs to change .mkv to .avi. Hmm, I want the screen size to 640X480 at XViD format but I don't know what to fill on the others. Because the last time I tried, it's not working. Here's the others:

Video -> Aspect ratio, Frame/Sec, Bitrate kbps, Options
Audio -> Sampling frequency, Channels, Bitrate kbps, DVD language select Audiostream Track #
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-01, 17:18   Link #15
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz View Post
I recently downloaded SUPER and I need help on filling out stuffs to change .mkv to .avi. Hmm, I want the screen size to 640X480 at XViD format but I don't know what to fill on the others. Because the last time I tried, it's not working. Here's the others:

Video -> Aspect ratio, Frame/Sec, Bitrate kbps, Options
Audio -> Sampling frequency, Channels, Bitrate kbps, DVD language select Audiostream Track #
Oh dear...you have just had radlight directshow filters installed in your system32 folder...in the future you might get playback problems with files which use OGG audio.

/me speaks from personal experience

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=241422

Right now I don't have too much time, but I'm sure that there are many other guides lying around...