Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2016-06-05, 00:07   Link #1
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Essential Classics?

I've recently thought that maybe more can be done to promote older anime classics to newer/younger anime fans. This thought is inspired by this thread here.

So I was thinking that it might be useful to have a thread dedicated to promoting older anime from previous decades. That it would be useful if such recommendations came from anime fans well-familiar with certain decades in anime.

But I think that for this to work, a certain degree of focus is likely necessary. A lengthy list of unfamiliar titles can easily be intimidating. So I think it would be best if there were lists of "essential anime" for each decade, and that these lists would be kept from 5 to 10 shows in length. The idea is that these 5 to 10 shows should highlight some of the strongest shows of the decade, as well as be a good representation of the sorts of shows and anime genres and characters that were popular/influential in that decade. This list should ideally have some range and variety to them.

I think I've watched enough 90s anime that I can put together a pretty good list of 10 for that decade, but I'd certainly welcome other people tackling the 90s themselves. And it would also be good to have lists for 70s, 80s, etc... This could also include the 2000-2009 decade.

90s:
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Sailor Moon
Cowboy Bebop
Macross Plus
Serial Experiments Lain
Perfect Blue (film)
Magic Knight Rayearth
The Slayers
The Vision of Escaflowne
El Hazard: The Magnificent World

I can explain either entry on this list if anyone wants me to, but to keep this opening post a reasonable length, I'll just throw the names of these titles out there for now.

Please share your thoughts on this thread, and any decade lists of your own.
Old 2016-06-05, 00:10   Link #2
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well first off on my mind is Rurouni Kenshin if you haven't seen it for whatever reason.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-05, 03:37   Link #3
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

For now, I’ll add my take on the 70s decade:

Sport: Ashita no Joe
An excellent anime series about a boxer. One of the finest boxing manga/anime in its time.

Action-Horror: Devilman
One of the most notable works by Go Nagai. This is a darker take on the superhero genre.

Mecha (Super-Robot): Mazinger Z (and the rest of the series)
Known as the one series that helped creating the boom of 70s Super-Robot anime. This series introduced a number of tropes that will then b used by many other series of its ilk. It’s one of Go Nagai’s famous works and one of the finest examples of hot-blooded super-robot anime from 70s. You can also check Getter Robo & Gaiking of the same decade from the same writer.

Mecha (Real-Robot): Mobile Suit Gundam
The one series that paved the way for the Real-Robot subgenre (eg Patlabor, Muv-Luv, Gunparade, Code Geass, etc). It has excellent story and strong and iconic characters that would influence not only mecha anime, but anime in general afterwards.

Sci-fi Action: Neo-Human Casshern
One of Tatsunoko iconic superhero characters. The post-apocalyptic setting and somber atmosphere is a darker take on the superhero genre, like Devilman.

Magical-Girl Action: Cutey Honey/Cutie Honey
It’s the first magical girl series aimed for boys. It’s also one of the earliest magical girl series that put the female MC into action role where she constantly fights the forces of evil and immensely popular. The series itself is really good for what it is that its influences for the mahou shoujo genre afterwards can still be seen and feel even now (especially the fanservice ).

Kid-show, comedy, drama: Doraemon
I don’t think I need to explain this. Doraemon’s fine story is super relatable for kids all over the world that various countries still fondly remember the name and the characteristics of Doraemon’s main cast. It’s cultural impact and influence for the kids all around the world is plain to see (except maybe in countries like US where majority don’t know about Doraemon’s existence. But hey, US also doesn’t pay much attention to football/soccer while the rest of the world know and like that sport ).

Adventure Comedy-drama:
Lupin III (Lupin the Third) and its movie: The Castle of Cagliostro
The story about the iconic master-thief, Arsčne Lupin III the grandson of Arsčne Lupin. Directed by Masaaki Osumi, Isao Takahata & Hayao Miyazaki. The latter two are now famous as the men behind Studio Ghibli’s successes.

Comedy: Panda! Go, Panda!
Done by Isao Takahata, Hayao Miyazaki, Yoichi Kotabe & Yasuo Otsuka, this is basically Studio Ghibli’s prototype for My Neighbor Totoro.

Space Opera, Adventure, Sci-fi:
Space Battleship Yamato & Space Pirate Captain Harlock
two of the greatest space-adventure anime of the time and two of Leiji Matsumoto’s fine works.

Period Drama: Heidi, Girl of the Alps
Certainly one of the finest adaptation of Johanna Spyri’s Heidi novel. Made by Isao Takahata and crew, with pre-Gundam Yoshiyuki “kill’em all!” Tomino. It’s worth a watch for those interested in the source material o drama in general.

Historical comedy: Ikkyu-san
A lighthearted comedy about an exceptionally smart little monk who can solve many poblems if you ask him. A really good series for kids that is entertaining and educational (especially for young kids) without resorting to violence.

Adventure, Drama, Sci-fi, Romance: Future Boy Conan
Adapted from Alexander Key’s novel, this series which directed by Hayao Miyazaki, Isao Takahata, and Keiji Hayakawa has great story and setting for its time. An adventure done by the people behind Studio Ghibli is certainly worth checking out.

Shoujo Historical Drama Romance: Candy Candy
If shoujo drama is your thing, this is one of the finest examples of the decade.

Superhero: Cyborg 009
A superhero series with dark undertones. One of Shotaro Ishinomori’s classic works.

Space-western adventure
: Galaxy Express 999
One of Leiji Matsumoto’s classics. This one is made to be experienced so I won’t talk much about the plot. I just want to say that it’s a classic for a reason.
Old 2016-06-05, 09:21   Link #4
crazyidiot78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I've recently thought that maybe more can be done to promote older anime classics to newer/younger anime fans. This thought is inspired by this thread here.

So I was thinking that it might be useful to have a thread dedicated to promoting older anime from previous decades. That it would be useful if such recommendations came from anime fans well-familiar with certain decades in anime.

But I think that for this to work, a certain degree of focus is likely necessary. A lengthy list of unfamiliar titles can easily be intimidating. So I think it would be best if there were lists of "essential anime" for each decade, and that these lists would be kept from 5 to 10 shows in length. The idea is that these 5 to 10 shows should highlight some of the strongest shows of the decade, as well as be a good representation of the sorts of shows and anime genres and characters that were popular/influential in that decade. This list should ideally have some range and variety to them.

I think I've watched enough 90s anime that I can put together a pretty good list of 10 for that decade, but I'd certainly welcome other people tackling the 90s themselves. And it would also be good to have lists for 70s, 80s, etc... This could also include the 2000-2009 decade.

90s:
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Sailor Moon
Cowboy Bebop
Macross Plus
Serial Experiments Lain
Perfect Blue (film)
Magic Knight Rayearth
The Slayers
The Vision of Escaflowne
El Hazard: The Magnificent World

I can explain either entry on this list if anyone wants me to, but to keep this opening post a reasonable length, I'll just throw the names of these titles out there for now.

Please share your thoughts on this thread, and any decade lists of your own.
I agree this is a good topic to explore. Also I like many of your choices even if I haven't seen all of them. My top ten anime of the 90s and 80s would be in no particular order. Also i stuck to shows I have actually seen

90s
Slayers
Neongenesis Evangelion
Mobile suit 8th MS team
Outlaw Star
Irresponsible captain tylor
Great teacher onizuka
Magical Knight Rayearth
Ruroni Kenshin
You're Under Arrest
Martain Successor Nadesico

80s anime
Astro Boy
the mysterious cities of gold
Macross
Fist of the north star
Nausica
Voltron
castle in the sky
bubblegum crisis
Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnęamise
ronin warriors
crazyidiot78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-06, 04:10   Link #5
SuitUp
ˇGracias Totales!

About the only work that I can assure is a must watch for anyone at any time is Monster, if for whatever reason someone hasn't watched it, drop whatever you're doing and start this, it won't dissapoint.
Old 2016-06-06, 10:12   Link #6
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Ctrl + F "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" = no results found. It's a space opera about government, war, and guys who want to relax and have a drink. It's thorough in its world building and its characters are like the mythological beings of old, with hubris and heroics alike

2000s
Millennium Actress
Haibane Renmei
Clannad
Gurren Lagann
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Death Note
5cm per second
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-06, 16:13   Link #7
RichardFromMarple

A few not mentioned yet:

60s:
Sally The Witch
Speed Racer

70s:
Science Ninja Team Gatchaman
Dororon Emna Kun
Majokko Meg Chan

80s:
Dr Slump
Dragonball / DBZ
Urusei Yatura
Ranma 1/2
Minky Momo

90s:
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
One Piece

00:
Lucky Star
Naruto
Love Hina
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Spice & Wolf
RichardFromMarple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-12, 23:41   Link #8
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

I have a list of my own (and already shortened). Now that I look into it, I have the most titles in 2000-2009. After that things went downhill dramatically.

1980-1989
City Hunter
Glass Mask
LoGH

1990-99
Akachan to Boku
Bastard!!
Berserk
Black Jack
Crest of the Stars
El Hazard Magnificent
Heroic Legend of Arslan
Initial D
Record of Lodoss War
Vision of Escaflowne

2000-2009
Banners of the Stars
Fantastic Children
Full Metal Panic!
Hajime no Ippo
Hikaru no Go
Monster
Rescue Wings
Seirei no Moribito
Twelve Kingdoms
Uninhabited Planet Survival
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-13, 18:27   Link #9
Dextro
He Without a Title

This is an absolutely fantastic idea so I was going to join in with my 2 cents but then suddenly it became an epic post covering over 50 shows... I may have gotten a bit carried away.

I'll try to trim it down a bit.
Old 2016-06-13, 20:01   Link #10
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Thanks to everyone for sharing their own lists and insights. It's definitely appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
This is an absolutely fantastic idea so I was going to join in with my 2 cents but then suddenly it became an epic post covering over 50 shows... I may have gotten a bit carried away.

I'll try to trim it down a bit.
I'm glad you like the thread and the idea behind it.

It's probably fine to list 20 to 30 shows (per decade) if you break them down by genre like Obelisk did with his post. That way, newer fans can pick and choose shows based on which genres interest them the most.
Old 2016-06-13, 21:28   Link #11
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Frankly I don't think I'm in a position to make a list of essential classics from before the 00's considering the severely small amount of anime I have watched from the 70's, 80's and 90's and the number of well-received TV anime, movies and OVAs from those decades that I still haven't seen. (Hell, there's still a ton of 00's stuff I plan to watch.)

Anyway, here goes:

00's TV shows
Aria (healing and slice-of-life)
Ashita no Nadja (romantic adventure)
Baccano (supernatural action and mystery)
Brigadoon: Marin & Melan (sci-fi action and romance)
Galaxy Angel (comedy)
Gungrave (mafia drama and supernatural action)
Haibane Renmei (supernatural drama and slice-of-life)
Monster (mystery and thriller)
Mushishi (episodic supernatural)
One Outs (sports and mind games)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (mecha action)
Texhnolyze (sci-fi and arthouse film)

00's movies
5cm/s (drama)
Hoshi no Koe (sci-fi drama)
Metropolis (sci-fi)
Redline (racing action and some sci-fi themes nobody gives a crap about because you watch it for the cool racing)

I realized that the decade of anime I'm most familiar and knowledgeable about is by far the current one. This is pretty much the decade where I have sunken myself into anime the deepest, so I'm sure I'll have quite a *massive* recommendation list for the 10's by the time 2020 comes around.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-14, 01:33   Link #12
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

1960s
--------

Gegege no Kitaro
Princess Knight

1970s
--------

Galaxy Express 999
Cutey Honey
Space Battleship Yamato
Rose of Versailles
Future Boy Conan
Aim For The Ace
Candy Candy
Mazinger Z
Gatchaman

1980s
--------

Kimagure Orange Road
City Hunter
Dirty Pair
Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star
Touch
Gunbuster
Meitantei Holmes/Sherlock Hound
Original Macross + Do You Remember Love movie

1990s
--------

Crest of the Stars
Slayers
Jin-Roh
Only Yesterday
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Kiki's Delivery Service
Serial Experiments Lain
Perfect Blue
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun

2000s
--------

Monster
Last Exile
Aria
Code Geass
Banner of the Stars
Le Chevalier D'Eon
Maria Who Watches Over Us
Beyond the Clouds - The Promised Place
Mushishi
Kino's Journey
Haibane Renmei
One Outs
Elfen Lied
The Sky Crawlers
Kemono no Souja Erin
Paranoia Agent
Nodame Cantabile
Samurai Champloo
Spice and Wolf
FLCL
Full Metal Panic Fumoffu
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Azumanga Daioh
Spirited Away
Simoun
Welcome to the NHK
Kaiji
Fullmetal Alchemist
Old 2016-06-14, 01:42   Link #13
crazyidiot78

Loving the choices here again and might I add something to keep the conversation going. What would you choose as the quintessential example of certain anime genres. Now seeing as there are many ways to break it down I went with the list from crunchy roll

Action- Sekirei
Adventure- Full metal alchemist brotherhood
Comedy- Greatest Teacher Onizuka
Drama- Code Geass
Ecchi- don't watch it
Fantasy- Slayers
Historical- Ruroni Kenshin
Mecha- Gundam 8th MS team
Romance- Oh My goddess
Science Fiction- Ghost in the shell
Seinen/Mature- Black Lagoon
Shoujo- Card Captor Sakura
Shounen- History’s mightiest disciple kenichi
Slice of Life- Azu Manga Daioh
Sports- Ginban Kaleidoscope
Old 2016-06-14, 18:36   Link #14
Dextro
He Without a Title

Sorry Triple_R, I couldn't cut much out of my list so I just split it in several categories and spoiler tagged them to avoid flooding the thread.

I know my prose isn't particularly interesting to read but if I can convince someone that a couple of these shows are worth watching then my job here is done.

I've personally started watching anime as a hobby fully in the early 00s so my choices reflect that. I'm not going to pretend to know much before the coming of Eva but I'll add a few of the shows from the 80s that ended up influencing me and my later viewing habits.

It kind of makes me feel rather old to think that some of the shows that absolutely defined the medium for me were now made so long ago that there are people watching anime that weren't even born back when they were made. I know this might be stating the obvious to plenty of the folk here who are older than me but I guess it happens to everyone right?

In the end I've actually ended up adding some fairly recent stuff to my list because it was hard to get an actual end date set when I just felt like I had to add some stuff from the early 2010s in due to their influence (in my humble opinion).

So, without further ado, here is my (far too extensive) list:

The oldies
These are the shows that marked my early childhood. Those shows that, without me even knowing, planted that seed that ultimately lead me to making following this medium one of my hobbies and to participate in places such as this forum.
Spoiler for The oldies:

The 90s
And now I'm finally into the 90s and the point where some truly groundbreaking shows show up in my radar. I didn't really start following anime as something different than simple cartoons until the very final years of the decade when I finally got broadband internet access but some of my favourites and some of the most ground breaking works ever showed up in the 90s. There's a reason the Wachowski Brothers made Matrix in the tail end of the decade and anime has a big part in it.

Little side note: There was this brand new cable TV channel that came out back in 2001 that targeted teens and young adults and they had one anime per day of the week. The shows were Trigun, Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop, Excel Saga and New Cutie Honey. They latter added shows like Hellsing, Last Exile or Kiddy Grade and re-ran Evangelion. No wonder I got into the medium with so much awesome in a row

Spoiler for The 90s:

The early 00s
Keen eyed readers will notice that I already had a couple of shows from the 00s in the previous list but I can assure you that I have a rather good reason for it. IMHO the 00s truly got started when the first show in this category got insanely popular and marked the decade from then on out. Without further ado...

Spoiler for The early 00s:

2006 onwards
While I was looking through my watch history and compiling this list I happened to note that 2006 was, in hindsight, a landmark year for the industry. Three of the most influential shows of the last decade came out that year so I think its fairly fair to say that we can draw a clear separation of the shows that came before and after 2006.

Spoiler for 2006 onwards:

2009 onwards
Like 2006 I think its fair to say that a couple of shows marked a turning point right when the 2010s were starting that have set the stage for the last 6 years. Most people will be familiar with these shows so I doubt there are any surprised here but hopefully this will be helpful in a couple of years time.

Spoiler for 2009 onwards:
Old 2016-06-15, 09:32   Link #15
crazyidiot78

You made a number of good choices dextro but I have to disagree with you on a few. Also I am only talking about the shows I have actually seen.

I would recommend people watch Sailor moon crystal instead of the original as I think that it follows the manga better and I like the art style more.

I know Love Hina wrote the book for Harem romances but my distaste for the genre makes me think it shouldn't be included.

I was never a bleach fan and I think there are better Shonen anime to choose from.

I would recommend all of Full Metal panic and not just the comedy part.

I never saw the appeal of Haruhi so I wouldn't recommend it, but I know others like it.

Oh Death Note could not stand the pretentious ass of a main character and I found the entire show to be retarded. Also probably didn't help that my students at the time raved about it.

Fate Zero and Madoka Magica are simple, I do not like Gen Urobochi. I do not like his philosophy and the way it comes through in his shows. Shirou is a moron, his dad is a sociopath, and my god the people in the show are clueless idiots. Oh and I never saw the appeal of any of the Nasuverse works. In fact the only one I liked is Cannan but that is not really a well known work of theirs and isn't connected to the fate verse. Oh one last thing I didn't think Madoka making a very dark and edgy turn to be all that interesting, new, or frankly all that good. Other shows have done it before, and the hype it got being dark and edgy I felt was misplaced.
Old 2016-06-15, 14:23   Link #16
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyidiot78 View Post
You made a number of good choices dextro but I have to disagree with you on a few. Also I am only talking about the shows I have actually seen.

I would recommend people watch Sailor moon crystal instead of the original as I think that it follows the manga better and I like the art style more.

I know Love Hina wrote the book for Harem romances but my distaste for the genre makes me think it shouldn't be included.

I was never a bleach fan and I think there are better Shonen anime to choose from.

I would recommend all of Full Metal panic and not just the comedy part.

I never saw the appeal of Haruhi so I wouldn't recommend it, but I know others like it.

Oh Death Note could not stand the pretentious ass of a main character and I found the entire show to be retarded. Also probably didn't help that my students at the time raved about it.

Fate Zero and Madoka Magica are simple, I do not like Gen Urobochi. I do not like his philosophy and the way it comes through in his shows. Shirou is a moron, his dad is a sociopath, and my god the people in the show are clueless idiots. Oh and I never saw the appeal of any of the Nasuverse works. In fact the only one I liked is Cannan but that is not really a well known work of theirs and isn't connected to the fate verse. Oh one last thing I didn't think Madoka making a very dark and edgy turn to be all that interesting, new, or frankly all that good. Other shows have done it before, and the hype it got being dark and edgy I felt was misplaced.
I actually had both seasons of FMP at first because I'm a massive fan (as can be seen by me gushing about Gatoh-san being involved in Hyoka) but I ended up having to trim down the list a bit and so I ended up leaving only Fumoffu since I think it has a broader appeal and was particularly relevant by being the first show from that studio who shall not be named

As for your other arguments I'm going to have to respectively disagree with most of them. I ended up mentioning plenty of those shows because of the cultural effect they had on the fandom more than their qualities.

Bleach is actually a case of me adding it near the end of my writeup since I remember being completely blown away by the style of the show. I think it's a perfect example of style over substance but I do feel like the anime adaptation in particular felt rather fresh when it first came out. That is however my personal take on it.

Sailor Moon I kept the original on the one hand because I haven't actually watched more than a couple of episodes of crystal but also because I was going for a list of shows that had impact more than what's objectively better. I failed to stick to that when I decided to go with Gundam Zeta and Macross instead of the original Gundam but yeah... I'm just another human being full of contradictions

By the way, and please don't take this the wrong way, I have to wonder if you aren't suffering from a case of Critic Fatigue Syndrome? As fans of the medium we've all probably watched far more than newcomers who would be more helped by lists such as this and I find that we tend to become overly critical of certain tropes that would practically go unnoticed by the untrained eye. I know I've found myself in that position a couple of times.
Old 2016-06-15, 17:54   Link #17
crazyidiot78

Oh I agree with you on hype backlash completely. Also if you are going for cultural impact then yes the original sailor moon has to be at the top of the list, as well as Haruhi for really starting the Moe craze.

Fun fact about the original gundam, what saved it was middle aged housewife's watching it for Char, and the romance aspects of it. Apparently it did not do well in its first run, but was a hit in later syndication.

I'll also grant you Bleach was different when it first came out but broody ichigo did get old and it drug on for far to long.

I still stand by my stance on Gen Urobochi and his shows, but hey different strokes for different folks. I think a large part of it for the Fate stuff is that so many of the characters are sociopaths, or other degenerates. I mean seriously the kill 1 to save 100 thing is just to over the top for me. Also the whole bit with Sakura, surely someone would have noticed something wrong with the girl and stepped in. I will admit a bit of a cultural dissidence here as she would be more likely to be left alone in Japan rather than in the states. Ditto for Shirou, I mean characters in the show admit and tell him he is broken and yet nothing is done about it. Rant over and sorry about that.

On another note, I find it interesting that we aren't seeing more Studio Ghibli films listed here. Do you think that's because we haven't watched them, or don't see them as influential as other titles. I ask because I think they are a good gate way vehicle to get people interested in anime.
Old 2016-06-15, 18:52   Link #18
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I'll guess the Studio Ghibli films aren't listed as much if at all because they've never reflected the trends of their contemporaries and tend to be their own things (going off of Princess Kaguya, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl's moving Castle). Even something like Texhnolyze is a reflection of the cool-dark audience anime has tapped into, but there's no "audience" for Studio Ghibli films due to their ubiquity via lack of "anime" tropes. I'd agree Studio Ghibli's films can appeal to non-anime fans, but they'd hardly be the first choice I'd use if I were trying to assimilate indoctrinate them into the fold because of their lack of "reflection." Also their runaway fame outside of anime fandom likely makes us tryhards take them for granted
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-15, 19:08   Link #19
crazyidiot78

I agree on why they aren't many on our lists here, but I disagree on the films being a bad way to bring in new fans. I think its the opposite given their lack of some of the extreme tropes in anime it would be a good way to ease them into it. I think they can bridge the gap so to speak.
Old 2016-06-15, 19:45   Link #20
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Fun fact about the original gundam, what saved it was middle aged housewife's watching it for Char, and the romance aspects of it.
That's interesting. Can you give me the source for that (Japanese or English articles)? I'm a long time Gundam fan, yet I've never heard of that "Housewife-fans"-fact beyond rumors. All official articles that I read stated that it's Bandai's plastic model kits that saved the show from oblivion. I'd like to get your source since I like to read all things Gundam.

Quote:
Apparently it did not do well in its first run, but was a hit in later syndication.
Well, this is already a common knowledge in Japan. Gundam is the first Real-Robot anime with more realistic and depressing atmosphere than the Super-Robot shows aired in the same decade which made it not that popular with the kids. Thus, the show was cancelled from the originally-planned 52 episodes into just 43. Much like the original Star Trek TV series, Blade Runner & 2001: A Space Odyssey, the original Gundam was not appreciated by its initial audience due to its concept that's ahead of its time which many audience of that time still not able to understand and enjoy it.