AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-02-19, 22:23   Link #201
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappster View Post
Well it depends on your definition of a filler episode. To me usually anything that's not in the manga storyline is a filler episode (not that that's a bad thing mind you as).
When an adaptation happens from manga to anime - its never promised that it'll just be a straight on adaptation. I seriously hate the word filler, and i don't believe it should be used when say a new story is created that didn't belong in the original source material. As long as it sticks to the plot.. then its not a filler.

Still, that never happens in Aria. :3
Old 2007-02-19, 23:17   Link #202
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
They even mix up the manga chapters badly... I mean, chapter 2 of AQUA became the 2nd series 6th or 7th episode...

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-19, 23:20   Link #203
Jiji
*Scanlator

personally, I like Shiroth's answer to a definition of "filler", but I feel I have to point out something.

What about a story like 12 Kingdoms? Right in the middle of Youko's "plot", we are treated to an unrelated story, in flashbacks. Now, since I really love that series, I have a hard time seeing it as "filler". It gives me more of the world I came to enjoy and explains a few things about it's workings to Youko, too. But this also happens in other complicated stories, where they leave one set of characters to pursue what another set is doing somewhere else at that same time.

Another problem is with shouned fighting stories like Dragonball or things like that, where episode after episode is devoted to the prelude to a confrontation, the "powering up" as some refer to it as. The plot is moving...but...veeery...sloooooooowly... Yet most people, even fans of the shows, agree that they are "filler" episodes. Are they? Reading this thread, it's getting to where I cant really say anymore. Whaddya think?
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-19, 23:22   Link #204
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
They even mix up the manga chapters badly... I mean, chapter 2 of AQUA became the 2nd series 6th or 7th episode...
Thats true - but it worked? The beauty with the Aria story is that not all of it has to fit into a certain path. Its just known and then that a few stories have to be in that place.
Old 2007-02-19, 23:30   Link #205
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

The traditional definition of filler is quite simple. It's not just any anime-original material or stuff that deviates from the "main plot" (if there even is one). Real filler is what happens in long-running shounen series like Bleach & Naruto; it's made when the anime catches up to the manga and needs to do its own crap for a while until enough new manga story has been produced.

Also, Aria rocks my world. :3
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-19, 23:31   Link #206
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Thats true - but it worked? The beauty with the Aria story is that not all of it has to fit into a certain path. Its just known and then that a few stories have to be in that place.
I never criticized it, in fact, I don't give a damn in which order are ARIA's stories told, since none have any deep relationship with any other.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-20, 08:43   Link #207
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I never criticized it, in fact, I don't give a damn in which order are ARIA's stories told, since none have any deep relationship with any other.
I never did say you criticized it, i was just showing my point on the matter. :3
Old 2007-03-21, 05:18   Link #208
Question
Crossdresser

So just to confirm, Aria the animation is the first season and the 26 episode Aria the natural is the second season? Wikipedia didnt mention anything about the anime except an episode list.
Old 2007-03-21, 05:37   Link #209
ando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question View Post
So just to confirm, Aria the animation is the first season and the 26 episode Aria the natural is the second season? Wikipedia didnt mention anything about the anime except an episode list.
Yes, ARIA The ANIMATION is the first season, 13 episodes, and ARIA The NATURAL is the second season, 26 episodes.
ando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-26, 23:56   Link #210
Kerochan2006

Say I was wondering where I could find the DVD booklet for navigation 3 of aria the animation?
Kerochan2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 11:42   Link #211
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

I just discovered this series and I love it!

I'm wondering if anyone could tell me, does this look like a legit release?

http://www.discountanimedvd.com/detail.asp?dvdno=20886

It says box set, eps. 1-13, but only has two disks? Sounds fishy.

I wish I could find the art box that came with the first DVD once upon a time. I'm in an art box collecting mood lately and that one would be sweet. But every place that I've seen it at says "sold out."

Think there's a chance of another pressing of this first series?
Mushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 12:12   Link #212
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Bootleg. Like everything else at that site.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 14:58   Link #213
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
I just discovered this series and I love it!

I'm wondering if anyone could tell me, does this look like a legit release?

http://www.discountanimedvd.com/detail.asp?dvdno=20886

It says box set, eps. 1-13, but only has two disks? Sounds fishy.
That is certainly a good tip-off and there are several other clues as well:
  • Region: All code, Region Free
  • Released By: Anime Cartoon
  • Subtitle: English, Chinese (On/Off)
Of course merely being 2 disks for 13 episodes was quite enough on its own.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 15:07   Link #214
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX View Post
Bootleg. Like everything else at that site.
Figured so...

Too bad... good prices on manga. I'd rather not support them, though, if they run bootleg crap.

I went ahead and ordered DVD 1 from amazon.co.jp. I wasn't aware they had an english help page for ordering there. It was just as easy as ordering from amazon.com. So thanks to those who pointed that out.

I read earlier in this thread that someone said the collectors box was a random thing. I suppose there's a chance I could get one... maybe?
*crosses fingers*
Old 2007-12-11, 19:08   Link #215
Yakhobian
とは
*Fansubber

The Japanese R2 DVDs did come with special collectors boxes every third volume. So there were two for ARIA The ANIMATION, at volumes 1 and 4.
I think it follows the same pattern for ARIA The NATURAL, with boxes at volumes 1, 4 and 7.
The R2 boxes are mighty pretty.
Old 2007-12-11, 21:10   Link #216
flick
電脳コイル'd

I'm in the middle of watching Season 2 - Aria the Natural Loved Aria the Animation! ^^

President Aria is just too cute! Although I love Densuke from Denno Coil as well.
flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 23:45   Link #217
kureshii
Disabled By Request

Well, technically speaking you could say the whole of Aria is filler after filler, since there is no overarching storyline (story: time goes on and people grow...?), and each episode contributes little to no plot progression, just an anecdote or two.

But that would be missing the point somewhat. I like slice-of-life series like this precisely because of that - they're easy to pick up, easy to put down, and you can take a break for a few weeks/months and come back again and not be missing anything. You don't need to have watched the latest episode, and friends can come in and watch random episodes with minimal backstory.

If anyone needs a recommendation for anime therapy, this would be it.
kureshii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-14, 03:48   Link #218
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kureshii View Post
If anyone needs a recommendation for anime therapy, this would be it.
I agree, 100%! I love this series. It's so peaceful and dreamy with some nice little emotional hooks here and there.

I got the DVD from amazon.co.jp. And, I'm delighted to say that it did indeed come in a beautiful art box with some extras... a guide book and post cards with binder. All very high quality stuff.

Click the thumbs for full size:

I'm very happy with this! Thanks again to those who mentioned buying direct from there. Delivery was unbelievably fast. I ordered early on the 11th, got it the afternoon of the 13th... western U.S.
Old 2007-12-14, 05:30   Link #219
Yakhobian
とは
*Fansubber

The extras are indeed cool. Later volumes even come with stuff like Aria papercraft.
I only have scans of all the stuff from every volume, though. I'm sure having the stuff up close is really nice.
Old 2007-12-15, 12:10   Link #220
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakhobian View Post
Later volumes even come with stuff like Aria papercraft.
You know, I thought I had seen some pictures of that somewhere on the web... it took me a few minutes to realize it was in this thread.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=143

I think I'll order DVD 4 next.

Tags
science fiction, slice of life