AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 44 44.90%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 27.55%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 18.37%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 3.06%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 4.08%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.02%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.02%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-06, 20:34   Link #41
Grizzlybar

This is why you diversify your investments.
Old 2008-03-06, 20:52   Link #42
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There's a v2 of ep 10 out from Ayako... I've not downloaded it yet but someone might check to see if they adjusted that line (among others).
Old 2008-03-06, 20:56   Link #43
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
From what I saw on the IRC channel. The v2 was just about the audio, the original was mono and they adjusted it to stereo.

Big thing here is, how the heck are they going to get out of this one? They got completely had. Guy probably set up that trick. Just waiting for merchants who thought they were clever to catch it and then spring the trap on them.

But have to love Horo. Pulling that big ploy just so he'd promise to get her the honey-pickled peaches. Guess for good food Horo will go the extra mile.
Old 2008-03-06, 21:03   Link #44
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamyhorror View Post
The last line is お前さえーー, which means something like "You, at least, ..." or "Even you are [getting in the way, pissing me off, etc.]". Interpreting it as "If not for you..." seems like a bit of a stretch, but maybe someone can correct me.
I think the お前さえ if not swollowed would probably had been followed by, 居なければ meaning "not here" so if the two parts tied the sentence would translate to "If you were not here with me" so the "If not for you...." isn't that far of a stretch.
Old 2008-03-06, 21:12   Link #45
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
From what I saw on the IRC channel. The v2 was just about the audio, the original was mono and they adjusted it to stereo.

Big thing here is, how the heck are they going to get out of this one? They got completely had. Guy probably set up that trick. Just waiting for merchants who thought they were clever to catch it and then spring the trap on them.
Although I have not read the novel here are my speculations.

Spoiler for Speculations:

Last edited by Tri-ring; 2008-03-06 at 22:25.
Old 2008-03-06, 21:13   Link #46
maymay
Inactive~

Lawrence has been hung out to dry, just goes to show how fast the market can swing in a free economy. It was kinda hard to watch poor old Lawrence getting rejected repeatedly, especially the last one which was just because he was with Horo.
Old 2008-03-06, 21:24   Link #47
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
Although I have not read the novel here are my speculations.

Spoiler for Speculations:
May have a good idea there. If Lawrence can bring them a proposal that could net them much larger profit than just the 47 gold coins he owes he might have a chance. Since they spent one day going around the city. With only one day left to get them the money have to try something a bit crazy.

Near the end of the episode it was an unfortunate thing. Horo didn't want to stay behind since she thought it would give the impression that she was the type to just sit and relax while her partner was in trouble. Sadly her presence gave a different impression and so you have a bad situation at the end of the episode.

No matter what its clear Lawrence isn't going to end up in mines or on some ship. Horo will bust him out of that city and carry him to the forests of the North if she has to first. Continuing his career as a merchant is the optimal situation, but Horo will do what she has to.
Old 2008-03-06, 21:27   Link #48
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
May have a good idea there. If Lawrence can bring them a proposal that could net them much larger profit than just the 47 gold coins he owes he might have a chance. Since they spent one day going around the city. With only one day left to get them the money have to try something a bit crazy.

Near the end of the episode it was an unfortunate thing. Horo didn't want to stay behind since she thought it would give the impression that she was the type to just sit and relax while her partner was in trouble. Sadly her presence gave a different impression and so you have a bad situation at the end of the episode.

No matter what its clear Lawrence isn't going to end up in mines or on some ship. Horo will bust him out of that city and carry him to the forests of the North if she has to first. Continuing his career as a merchant is the optimal situation, but Horo will do what she has to.
Of course. But that's not what happens.

Remember those mercenaries that Lawrence avoided by taking a different route? I bet they want some armor.

And no, I haven't read the novels either. So it's not spoilers because I'm not sure that that happens.
Old 2008-03-06, 21:36   Link #49
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Yeah nothing wrong with trying to figure out what's going to happen. A few different ways things could turn out, some more probable than others.

But of course one thing is certain. The honey-pickled peaches will be the key to turning this situation around .
Old 2008-03-06, 21:38   Link #50
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Horo wants to go North with Lawrence. Heck, I bet she probably wouldn't even bother wanting to go to the North if Lawrence never promised or guarenteed.

Great episode. No need for any extra comments, very straightforward - he's been had, takes frustration out, on the wrong person, in the wrong time.

I'm really looking forward to 11. Damn, too bad this is done in 2 episodes..

Ookami better have a second season -_-.

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
Old 2008-03-06, 21:44   Link #51
Xacual

Yeah, I think Nora is going to play some kind of part in the scheme. It seems odd for the character to be introduced and then not actually have any effect on the outcome though she could be like chloe and only really appear again at the end of the arc.
Old 2008-03-06, 22:16   Link #52
mikesince83
AnimeSuki Freshman

Ayako info...

All I have to say is wow, why have I not been following Ayako's version? The background information they include from the light novel has a major effect on the impact of the show. I think I'm beginning to understand to some extent what Vexx discussed in regards to details being left out. It was enough to make me consider re-watching the previous episodes just for the extra insight.

On another note, I was wondering why Horo didn't react the first time (19:58) Lawrence snapped at her? He's never responded to her in that manner so I figured she'd register some sort of shock/disappointment. She certainly responded clearly the second time he stepped out of line. Did she just ignore it to be supportive?
Old 2008-03-06, 22:21   Link #53
creamyhorror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
I think the お前さえ if not swollowed would probably had been followed by, 居なければ meaning "not here" so if the two parts tied the sentence would translate to "If you were not here with me" so the "If not for you...." isn't that far of a stretch.
You're right, looks like we made a mistake on this line. I had thought お前さえいなければ would mean "If even you weren't around, [what would I do?/how could I live on?/etc.]", but after googling, I saw you were right. Thanks
Old 2008-03-06, 23:41   Link #54
metronome
Mad Loli

wait a minute I dont get it.......
how can they sell the credit to another company ?

it is like someone buy something from me, lets say a pen, cost 1 USD.
he make a paper filled in contract of promise that he gonna pay me 1 USD later, in other word, credit.
and then that guy tries to sell the pen for 1.2 USD to a man named C. but too bad the price of the pen is going down to 0 USD. so the pen is crap now and he still need to pay me 1 USD because of contract.
and then I know that C is actually pen collector/reseller, that's why C wanna buy it for 1.2 USD, but then the price is going down to 0 for all of C's pen, so now C is actually going bankrupt.

now, the problem lies here:
I have evil plan, I want to make this guy that try to sell the pen for 1.2 USD to C suffers.
Why?
Because actually I want him to buy the pen for 2 USD, (I even used fake scale to cheat him, but anyway he found out).
But isn't it actually illegal to sell his contract of promise to pay me 1 USD to C?

I don't know how this work in old time, but in the new modern time like today, it is not that easy to sell the credit like that, it usually takes a looooong time, some countries even prohibit this. Contract of promise to pay is usually between known entity, not to the holder of contract; not to mention that the contract has different time limit too, make it even harder to process if you wanna sell the credit. Well, may be I am not smart enough about this

and then, what I get from the story is actually lawrence got this trouble because of himself, he shouldn't ask for armor or at least he need more information before he bet all of his money on something like that(remember what horo said at minute 6 and up, she said that that kind of business is actually scary, since he was doing marginal buying, what if it fails? lawrence need to learn more about market and diversification). the falling price of armor seems natural in terms of economic. there is a reason why the armor prices go plummet, must have been something to do with the church and nora and stuffs. may be there is a law to force all of the price of armor to go down, or anything.

Last edited by metronome; 2008-03-06 at 23:52.
Old 2008-03-06, 23:43   Link #55
RampagingEvangelion
Asuka, Asuna, and Horo

Hmmm.... Very interesting episode!

I feel bad for Lawrence, but worse for Horo!

Hmmm... the next episode is titled, "The Wolf and the great plan.". I do wonder if 'the plan' will involve Nora and that town she was talking about. This is just speculation though. I haven't read the novels.

OR... maybe it involves those mercs, like mentioned in a previous post.

But still, I nearly cried at the end. The way her face looked...

Then I watched 'Saving Private Ryan' and cried when I saw the graveyard. (The sight of all of those white crosses and the US flag always makes me cry.) So Basically, I've been a crying, weeping sap the entire day! Fun fun!

EDIT: I do wonder if there will be a second season. I don't see how they could wrap this show up in two episodes, with at least one episode revolving around Lawrence relieving his debt. Unless... Horo or Lawrence dies in the process! But that's just speculation. God I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by RampagingEvangelion; 2008-03-06 at 23:55.
Old 2008-03-07, 00:17   Link #56
Traece
:cool:

It's a sad, heartbreaking, cute(!), heartbreaking, tearful, cute(!) episode.
On one hand, aren't they just the cutest couple? xD
On the other hand, isn't Horo just the cutest little thing?!
But hands aside, this was really a hard episode to watch, with Horo just tailing along while Lawrence spills his pride in an unsealed gas tank and walk around hopelessly while his pride makes a fine wet trail behind him. Is the series really only 12 episode wrong? That's just too short for all this!! It feels like it needs to be really, really long... I think we could all watch Spice & Wolf through to episode 112, maybe even 212, am I right? ^_^
Old 2008-03-07, 00:27   Link #57
RampagingEvangelion
Asuka, Asuna, and Horo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
It's a sad, heartbreaking, cute(!), heartbreaking, tearful, cute(!) episode.
On one hand, aren't they just the cutest couple? xD
On the other hand, isn't Horo just the cutest little thing?!
But hands aside, this was really a hard episode to watch, with Horo just tailing along while Lawrence spills his pride in an unsealed gas tank and walk around hopelessly while his pride makes a fine wet trail behind him. Is the series really only 12 episode wrong? That's just too short for all this!! It feels like it needs to be really, really long... I think we could all watch Spice & Wolf through to episode 112, maybe even 212, am I right? ^_^
Agreed about everything with Horo.

212 is sorta pushing it! lol. But in all seriousness, I could see this going for another 12 episodes at least. Unless, as I said earlier, something tragic and sucky ends their journey early.

But hey, I could watch Horo's cuteness for another say... two hundred and two episodes!
Old 2008-03-07, 00:31   Link #58
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampagingEvangelion View Post
I do wonder if there will be a second season. I don't see how they could wrap this show up in two episodes, with at least one episode revolving around Lawrence relieving his debt. Unless... Horo or Lawrence dies in the process! But that's just speculation. God I hope I'm wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Is the series really only 12 episode wrong? That's just too short for all this!! It feels like it needs to be really, really long... I think we could all watch Spice & Wolf through to episode 112, maybe even 212, am I right? ^_^
I'm with you both that we need more Spice and Wolf ! Personally haven't read the novels. Not because I don't want to, but because I'm incapable of reading the language . But far as I can tell it should end along the lines of the second volume. While I'm not sure about ther ebeing enough material for 212. More than enough for something like a 26 episode season depending on how many episodes you'd like to give to each volume of the story.

Obviously can't deal with things like Horo getting to the north in the next 2-3 episodes. But at least it doesn't seem like they will end in some anime original way. Which is good since that way if they do have a second season won't have to deal with some inconsistent ending. Last couple episodes should just be dealing with the debt, finding some way to make a profit out of this nightmare, some nice Horo moments, and the role Noora plays in it all.

Just hope this series has been doing well enough to get another season. Honestly can't believe its about to end.
Old 2008-03-07, 00:41   Link #59
Traece
:cool:

If they don't make out or better... I am going to come down on the novelist and animators SO HARD! Fanboys and fangirls... Grap your whips... In two weeks, if we don't get results... We're all going on strike against them both!
Fine, fine... 12 episodes... I can handle that without a massive depression at the end of episode 12, if they at least kiss once. Too many animes have romantic ties that are expressed fully and the couple doesn't even kiss (I'm flailing my sword at you, Lamune... And about a thousand other animes...). I would be fine with 20-26 or 32 episodes and they 'don't' kiss, but come darn well close to it! But hell, they have to do 'something' lover-esque in a 12 episode series! I'm serious!

Last edited by Traece; 2008-03-07 at 00:44. Reason: Not enough said.
Old 2008-03-07, 00:46   Link #60
feRfe

whips are good
Closed Thread