AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-06, 15:01   Link #1
z^3

specific recommendations

I'm new to animesuki's forums but not to anime in general. I tend to like a fictional plot (preferably fantasy/sci-fi/gothic) and definitely no mechs. I will list some of the series that I enjoyed and what about each series caught my eye... feel free to get creative in your recommendations because I've seen a lot more than what i'm going to list...

what i liked-
Shingetsutan Tsukihime - wonderfully dark, good character build
Witch Hunter Robin - same as above, although a little formulaic
Gilgamesh - bad animation, great plot
Scrapped Princess - solid in everything
Peace Maker Kurogame - good plot, although lead character got annoying
Jungle Wa Itsumo - hilarious
Berserk - alright, although it seemed a little drawn out

what I didn't like-
Hellsing - way too many holes in the plot
Naruto - don't even go there
Full Metal Alchemist - i want to like it, but i can't get into it (a little childish)
Flame of Recca - fun until it locked itself into a boring tournament

Again, remember that I've seen a lot more than what is listed, so please try to stay away from common titles like gunslinger girl, one piece, NGE, noir, lain, 100 stories and movies like ninja scroll, spriggan, akira, etc... dig deep and be creative for me... I don't care if I have to buy the series or if I can download it as a fansub. I've had my eye on Wolf's Rain for awhile now and am currently downloading Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito from animesuki. If you happen to list something I've already seen I promise I won't flame you, I appreciate your help

-Phil
Old 2004-04-06, 15:15   Link #2
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Honestly, go to a site like Anime-Planet's Recommendation List, find a
series you liked and see what it recommends for you to watch. Also,
you could always go watch To Heart.

Or...

You could try watching series like Piano, Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto,
AIR, Wind, Mizuiro Jidai, Hadashi no Gen, Hotaru no Haka, etc..
Old 2004-04-06, 15:19   Link #3
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Ever watch Dokkoida? ^^
Old 2004-04-06, 15:45   Link #4
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by z^3
I'm new to animesuki's forums but not to anime in general. I tend to like a fictional plot (preferably fantasy/sci-fi/gothic) and definitely no mechs. I will list some of the series that I enjoyed and what about each series caught my eye... feel free to get creative in your recommendations because I've seen a lot more than what i'm going to list...

what i liked-
Shingetsutan Tsukihime - wonderfully dark, good character build
Witch Hunter Robin - same as above, although a little formulaic
Gilgamesh - bad animation, great plot
Scrapped Princess - solid in everything
Peace Maker Kurogame - good plot, although lead character got annoying
Jungle Wa Itsumo - hilarious
Berserk - alright, although it seemed a little drawn out

what I didn't like-
Hellsing - way too many holes in the plot
Naruto - don't even go there
Full Metal Alchemist - i want to like it, but i can't get into it (a little childish)
Flame of Recca - fun until it locked itself into a boring tournament

Again, remember that I've seen a lot more than what is listed, so please try to stay away from common titles like gunslinger girl, one piece, NGE, noir, lain, 100 stories and movies like ninja scroll, spriggan, akira, etc... dig deep and be creative for me... I don't care if I have to buy the series or if I can download it as a fansub. I've had my eye on Wolf's Rain for awhile now and am currently downloading Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito from animesuki. If you happen to list something I've already seen I promise I won't flame you, I appreciate your help

-Phil
As I always say everywhere it is a really good suggestion to try Future Boy Conan and Rose of Versailles. Those two animes were world-wide classics they still have fan all over the world, Europe and South America especially. However, they nerver aired in the US. Give it a try

Se this thread for more information. http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...1990#post51990 Go to the botton of the page.
Old 2004-04-06, 17:43   Link #5
z^3

Mr. Paper I've tried anime-planet's recommendation service and didn't find it very useful. It seems to have limited responses and groups shows based upon similarities in plot rather than quality (or just based upon what's popular.) For a free program I am impressed, however it isn't what I'm looking for. Its just my opinion of course... but it didn't provide anything ground-breaking so I thought personal recommendations might help . I might try Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto as a gateway to the rest of the anime's you mentioned. I'm hoping that I can pick them up as an aquired taste.

I'm not big on comedy anime's but everyonce in awhile I'm in the mood. I'll try Dokkoida based upon your recommendation Secca.

Thanks to everyone for your quick responses.

-Phil
Closed Thread