AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-05-28, 05:39   Link #1
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

A software that opens GIF files in vista. ( in animated form)

What software can i download for Vista so that i can opn Animated gif files?

Thanks alot in advance.
Old 2008-05-28, 07:38   Link #2
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

The default Image Viewer should do just fine.
Are you having problems opening .gif files?
Old 2008-05-28, 13:29   Link #3
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

There is the default image viewer, but I used to have problems with ZoneAlarm's adware filters freezing animated gifs. There is a setting in there...somewhere. I've replaced it with Comodo a little while ago, so I don't remember.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 14:48   Link #4
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
There might be a way to not download any extra software, but here's one solution. A quick Google reveals two sites to suggests the program Irfanview.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 16:07   Link #5
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
The default Image Viewer should do just fine.
Are you having problems opening .gif files?
Yeah. It does Open the .Gif file but doesnt show the animation. Thats the problem vista has with Gif. XP's default image viwer used to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
There is the default image viewer, but I used to have problems with ZoneAlarm's adware filters freezing animated gifs. There is a setting in there...somewhere. I've replaced it with Comodo a little while ago, so I don't remember.
Zonealarm is an anit-virus right ? Just to make sure, you guys are talking about paint right? XP had the Fax/image software that used to play animated gifs. In vista i cant find that .

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
There might be a way to not download any extra software, but here's one solution. A quick Google reveals two sites to suggests the program Irfanview.

Yeah thats the one i was looking. I used to have that but forgot the name ^_^. By the way what did you search in google to give you that result . I couldnt find it . Maybe i should have looked longer .
Old 2008-05-28, 17:26   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If you just want to see what an animated gif will look like, you can always use a browser. Just enter a file: URL in the address bar. I don't know how to write them in Windows with the silly reverse directory slashes, but try starting at file:///. That should bring you to the top of the C: drive. You should be able to navigate from there.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 17:29   Link #7
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

To add to what Seiji said, you can use the Open with... option on the files to the same effect. Browsers will fill in the path and other stuff for you.
Old 2008-05-28, 19:32   Link #8
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
If you just want to see what an animated gif will look like, you can always use a browser. Just enter a file: URL in the address bar. I don't know how to write them in Windows with the silly reverse directory slashes, but try starting at file:///. That should bring you to the top of the C: drive. You should be able to navigate from there.
Quote:
To add to what Seiji said, you can use the Open with... option on the files to the same effect. Browsers will fill in the path and other stuff for you.
Ty. I already do know that. But i meant a way to do it so as you can view all the folder contents ( animated gifs) by just clicking next picture.

Something like photo gallery.
Old 2008-05-28, 20:47   Link #9
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Try xnview:
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enhome.html
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 21:13   Link #10
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Since you asked, I searched for "animated gif in vista." Both the first and fourth links had posts recommending Irfanview.
Old 2008-05-29, 02:05   Link #11
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Quote:
Actually, the easiest way to do it is to drag and drop. I do that to preview txt files in a browser.
Asamidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 04:42   Link #12
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Gif support doesn't exist for Vista, sadly. No clue why they decided not to include it, since it worked just fine in XP, but you either need a third party program to view them or open the file up in a web browser.

Edit: Found the reason - "Active Desktop functionality has been removed. As a result, animated GIF files can no longer be set as the desktop background. No other dynamic content such as HTML or HTA files can run on the desktop." - from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature..._Windows_Vista

How they "fixed" it:

"# Support for animated .GIF files has been removed in Windows Photo Gallery which replaced the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. Animated GIF files display properly in Internet Explorer."

My guess? Disabled because of Dreamscene.
Old 2008-05-29, 09:54   Link #13
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Oh really. My guess would be gif's endanger the safety of our computers by using unnecessary animation that could include malicious macros acting as viruses/trojans, compromising our privacy and performance. </sarcasm>
Old 2008-05-29, 11:05   Link #14
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Oh really. My guess would be gif's endanger the safety of our computers by using unnecessary animation that could include malicious macros acting as viruses/trojans, compromising our privacy and performance. </sarcasm>
I rememeber there was story some time ago on how a simple malformed image could crash both xp and vista.
Old 2008-05-29, 13:54   Link #15
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I rememeber there was story some time ago on how a simple malformed image could crash both xp and vista.
And the correct solution is to disable all images, right?
Old 2008-05-29, 23:06   Link #16
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
And the correct solution is to disable all images, right?
"If we can't fix the problem, we'll remove it and call it a feature!"

Tags
gifs, vista