AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2008-06-24, 09:58   Link #1761
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

It's only a personal theory, but Mid has been stated to be the preffered choice due to its versatality.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 10:02   Link #1762
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Culture becomes a big issue here. There are just so much more Midchilda than Belka in terms of ethnicity, not the religion. And the thing about Midchilda is that its a "middle" type of combat thinking, equal parts range and melee, which then opens the choice of whether do you want to go more melee (like Fate), or more range (like Vice).

However, I believe that if compared across the same magic ranks, a Belka Knight will outfight a Midchilda mage at melee, and a longer-ranged school will outgun Midchilda at range.

Because the Midchilda school is the middle ground, they are the jacks of all trades, the masters of none, who then win by utility. lolspacemarineslol
Old 2008-06-24, 10:03   Link #1763
Mirron

Send a message via AIM to Mirron Send a message via MSN to Mirron
Hmm, really? It always felt like Mid was the ranged, with perhaps a balanced ground being reached through using both. Interesting. A ranged one must be made now.
Mirron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 10:09   Link #1764
Tormenk

IMO Mid = manipulation Belkan = enhancement.

Which somewhat explains the difficulty in improving range ability on Belkan's side, since the style does narrow that particular "skill tree"(loosely termed") once you start specializing in it.

And to make a Nanoha or Hayate is more difficult than making a Fate, regardless of styles, due to the requirement of suitable inborn traits.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 10:11   Link #1765
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Mid has been stated to be 'focussed on ranged techniques, and is the primary choice for long-distance and bombardement attacks'

So yes, Mid is indeed the ranged style, however its versatallity allow it to be viable in melee, butif we use Fate as an example, then it is possible that a Mid melee user lacks defensive abillities as oposed to Belkan ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post
IMO Mid = manipulation Belkan = enhancement.

Which somewhat explains the difficulty in improving range ability on Belkan's side, since the style does narrow that particular "skill tree"(loosely termed") once you start specializing in it.

And to make a Nanoha or Hayate is more difficult than making a Fate, regardless of styles, due to the requirement of suitable inborn traits.
I'm working on that, actually. I plan Syn to be a Belkan ranged user, combining some of the advantages of Mid with Belkan Reinforcement techniques.
Old 2008-06-24, 10:12   Link #1766
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

I have just the thing: Tian magic is mostly ceremonial, but their most powerful spells hold the records for the longest unaided ranges. The Tian Empire's use of scientific weaponry allow them to ubiquitiously deal damage at great ranges, bringing to bear a gigantic hail of magic and missiles arcing over the horizon.

However, their small sizes limit their effectiveness in melee combat, so they use their fleet-footedness to run out of range and bombard back.

Mid's counter would then be to figure out how to get into range, and into their deadzone, where their average close quarters combats are more than the Tian's abyssal levels. Capitalize on their weakness, avoid their strengths.

Unless your name is Nanoha the White Devil, Confessor Hayate, Enforcer Fate or Keroko of the Rogues. These are Special Characters; they are meant to be a bit over the top.

EDIT: I digress. Keroko is right, most of us have different thinkings on the subject. I work like a game developer, so you'll see lots of "balancing" happening between schools in my takes...
Old 2008-06-24, 10:18   Link #1767
Tormenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Mid has been stated to be 'focussed on ranged techniques, and is the primary choice for long-distance and bombardement attacks'

So yes, Mid is indeed the ranged style, however its versatallity allow it to be viable in melee, butif we use Fate as an example, then it is possible that a Mid melee user lacks defensive abillities as oposed to Belkan ones.

I'm working on that, actually. I plan Syn to be a Belkan ranged user, combining some of the advantages of Mid with Belkan Reinforcement techniques.
Shooting enhanced missile/arrow weapons off with a crossbow/bow does incorporate both nicely.

Old 2008-06-24, 10:20   Link #1768
Mirron

Hmm. I don't know. I personally believe that a ranged Velkan is as possible as a melee Midchildian, simply due to the fact that I believe them to be different, but still equal. One focuses on range, the other on close-combat, yet both are capable of the other, although some sacrifices can be made to improve the capability of the other.

Although, this then makes me think, if a more speed-based form of Velka were to exist, what would be a counterpart for the Mid version? I typically operate in terms of opposites, so Velka and Mid opposing each other in a way makes it easier for me to come up with ideas. Yet throwing in the new version raises a question of what Mid could do to change yet still be Mid in a way.
Old 2008-06-24, 10:23   Link #1769
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Shooting enhanced missile/arrow weapons off with a crossbow/bow does incorporate both nicely.
Deshou? And Signum darn well made it canon too.
Old 2008-06-24, 10:30   Link #1770
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirron View Post
Hmm. I don't know. I personally believe that a ranged Velkan is as possible as a melee Midchildian, simply due to the fact that I believe them to be different, but still equal. One focuses on range, the other on close-combat, yet both are capable of the other, although some sacrifices can be made to improve the capability of the other.

Although, this then makes me think, if a more speed-based form of Velka were to exist, what would be a counterpart for the Mid version? I typically operate in terms of opposites, so Velka and Mid opposing each other in a way makes it easier for me to come up with ideas. Yet throwing in the new version raises a question of what Mid could do to change yet still be Mid in a way.
Probably someone who runs/flies quite a bit, and hurls spells on the move. Has few spells that require charging, and hurls lots of unguided spells. Scores by overwhelming the opposition with bolts that come from every direction, while being very dodgy is rather hard to hit and close with.

Quote:
Deshou? And Signum darn well made it canon too.
Which also brings me to another funny advantage of bows over guns: when there's enough of archers hurling explosive bolts, they become mobile mortars. However, they scatter quite a bit, and even more so if the Rain of Death is attempted while charging the opposition in an Assault.

*kicks himself for making more 40Kisms*
Old 2008-06-24, 10:37   Link #1771
Mirron

So a mage that relies on heavy fire in order to hit the enemy. Hmm, I originally considered something like that, but it seemed implausible. However, I can see it working. Perhaps this can even be the fire element person I was thinking of making. Hmm, reminds me of Wisdom Form in KH2. Flies around, lots of shots, really fast. Although, while a few spells would likely be cast free, such as the ones they use to fire their basic ranged attack and their ability to fly, I could see them chanting their other spells while firing off rounds, so as to be able to do multiple things at once.

Lots of ranged spells I could do. Although a direct counterpart wasn't what I was expecting, it worked out well. Thank you.
Old 2008-06-24, 11:45   Link #1772
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Canon contradiction check: civilian modern Belkan fashion tends towards traveller's robes/coats and utilitarian shirt/trousers, in a High-Fantasy Commoner style.

Yes/No?
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 11:49   Link #1773
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
Canon contradiction check: civilian modern Belkan fashion tends towards traveller's robes/coats and utilitarian shirt/trousers, in a High-Fantasy Commoner style.

Yes/No?
I prefer to think that the younger generation have just the same fashion sense as any Midchilda teen. But for the older generations, and when attending Church, they adopt more traditional wear. Can't answer your question directly because I don't quite know what you are talking about...

Though mentally comparing to contemporary Muslim fashion, I guess yes, but don't go overboard; the Belka are a liberal culture, so don't be too archaic or restricted. So have some variety, some pattern in dressing, but also have the "radical" or rave, some goth on the sides, and never forget the ubiquity of the Tee + Jeans combo.
Old 2008-06-24, 11:54   Link #1774
Evangelion Xgouki
NERV Personnel
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Evangelion Xgouki Send a message via MSN to Evangelion Xgouki
Quote:
...Wait, so the Tang are Dutch now?
Maybe the Dutch are actually a colony of the Tang?

Quote:
The biggest embarasment for Syn comes when Elena and Vivio decide that they should be the ones to design Syn's Barrier Jacket.
Oooo....do want

Quote:
No wai! Comar is breaking up a plausible Yuri pairing?
Someone divided by zero!!! RUN!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
Curse. Chains me to this thread and its descendents for the rest of time...
Oh boy...the khrack that survives that ages...

Quote:
And it seems I've passed the friends test.
You survived a close-range SLB to the face?

Quote:
"What? You still want to be the President after you graduate?"

/Kyon mental facepalm

Lol . I keep thinking about Genshiken...

Quote:
Hey that's my line.

Though it'd be pretty awesome if this thread survives long enough for me to bring another special person into this thread...

@ Anita

*starts running*
Oh? Do tell. Do tell!

Last edited by Evangelion Xgouki; 2008-06-24 at 14:49.
Evangelion Xgouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 11:56   Link #1775
Tormenk

@EvaX: Feel free to shoot questions here/in PMs regarding the scenario. Would have replied in a breaker but just too tired to do one atm.

Old 2008-06-24, 12:03   Link #1776
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
I prefer to think that the younger generation have just the same fashion sense as any Midchilda teen. But for the older generations, and when attending Church, they adopt more traditional wear. Can't answer your question directly because I don't quite know what you are talking about...

Though mentally comparing to contemporary Muslim fashion, I guess yes, but don't go overboard; the Belka are a liberal culture, so don't be too archaic or restricted. So have some variety, some pattern in dressing, but also have the "radical" or rave, some goth on the sides, and never forget the ubiquity of the Tee + Jeans combo.
I'm judging from episode 4, where besides Hayate's military garb and those of the Saint Church personnel, everyone else makes me think of Some Random Town in Slayers.

Everyone (including Hayate) wears the same brownish coat, although with variants on sleeve length, plus sometimes a headscarf (keffiyahs, I think). I was wondering why; is it some sort of desert environment? The Self-Administered Region looks like it's built into the side of a rocky craggy mountain.

-

While I'm tempted to use a certain Fate Averruncus (from Negima) in a side story as a product of Project F, that would be far too cheap.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 12:14   Link #1777
PhoenixFlare
The Resurrector
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
I'm judging from episode 4, where besides Hayate's military garb and those of the Saint Church personnel, everyone else makes me think of Some Random Town in Slayers.

Everyone (including Hayate) wears the same brownish coat, although with variants on sleeve length, plus sometimes a headscarf (keffiyahs, I think). I was wondering why; is it some sort of desert environment? The Self-Administered Region looks like it's built into the side of a rocky craggy mountain.
The clothing style's probably only for the Self-Administered Region. In the immediate vicinity of the Saint Church, it's highly probable that the ones living there have committed themselves to a life of austerity in reverence to the Saint King and (in my personal opinion) a kind of prohibitive regulation against extravagance. Outside the SAR, any other Belkans may wear as they please.
PhoenixFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 12:19   Link #1778
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
So a mage that relies on heavy fire in order to hit the enemy. Hmm, I originally considered something like that, but it seemed implausible. However, I can see it working. Perhaps this can even be the fire element person I was thinking of making. Hmm, reminds me of Wisdom Form in KH2. Flies around, lots of shots, really fast. Although, while a few spells would likely be cast free, such as the ones they use to fire their basic ranged attack and their ability to fly, I could see them chanting their other spells while firing off rounds, so as to be able to do multiple things at once.
*gasp!* Another KH fan! YAY!

*Gives Mirron a GREAT BIG BONECRUSHING HUG*

Stick with me, Mirron, and we'll go places! Next stop: Keyblade Devices!

*Runs from the KH-haters*

Quote:
No wai! Comar is breaking up a plausible Yuri pairing?
It has been known to happen on rare occasions. However, depending on how the story turns out and how well-received Alex is as a character, there exists the possibility of him getting into a love triangle with Subaru and Teana. The most likely situation (assuming this ever becomes overt and acknowledged by both girls) is that Alex will turn them both down rather than choose one girl and break the other girl's heart. Suba/Tea then come to the conclusion that they wouldn't mind sharing if they really had to... of course, this depends greatly on how well-received Alex is. If he's already giving off Marty Stu vibes before the triangle starts up, the odds of this situation actually happening plummet dramatically.

As for the Belka vs Mid debate, I attribute the differences to mostly being one of energy vs pseudomatter. All the solid-type projectiles we see are used by the Wolkenritter, and all the energy blades are used by Mid mages while in melee. Note that you never see Belkan mages using energy blades, nor do Mid mages use solid projectiles.

Answer? The usage of enhancement spells is a matter of the Belkan style, not the actual magic system. The Belkan magic system is every bit as versatile as the Mid system is, the focus is just on a different form of manipulation; physical attacks and armor and such as opposed to magical and energy attacks. The emphasis on the usage of enhancement spells is a matter of cultural significance to Belkan Knights, most of whom prefer melee combat and so developed the system in that direction rather than focusing a great deal on ranged attacks.

The Belka system is ill-suited for ranged combat only because little magical research and spellwork has been done on ranged spells, at least when compared to the Mid system. This is what Durandal seeks to fix, inventing ranged spells and tactics for use with the Neo-Belka system in order to enhance the system's versatility.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Comartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 12:21   Link #1779
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFlare View Post
The clothing style's probably only for the Self-Administered Region. In the immediate vicinity of the Saint Church, it's highly probable that the ones living there have committed themselves to a life of austerity in reverence to the Saint King and (in my personal opinion) a kind of prohibitive regulation against extravagance. Outside the SAR, any other Belkans may wear as they please.
They are Amish.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 12:35   Link #1780
ghazghkull
The Dang-meister

Send a message via MSN to ghazghkull Send a message via Yahoo to ghazghkull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
At least I didn't turn the Saint Church into the second coming of the Imperium's Church Militant.
No comment on that one, since that's of Kha's doing.

Quote:
Like it or not, the fact that the cast are in a military - a military different from ours, but still military in nature - means that comparisons with past and present militaries will continue to crop up. And frankly, as I said, what happened with SEAL Team Six isn't a one-off incident. It happens in real life too. For a corporate world example, take Iaccoa Lee, the CEO of Chrysler, who was the No.2 man in Ford. Everybody liked him, he was well-respected, and he still got forced out suddenly with no warning whatsoever.
And you realize that even if you use real life context, a lot of it will still fly over people's heads because not everyone here for one thing watches/reads/looks at news articles so they aren't aware of the world outside of their own, and for another, they aren't as well engrossed into real-life political structure and the what not.

And now secondly despite the fact that yes, the Nanoha storyline is lacking in proper military structure does not mean that the OC should have some sort of strict code that we should be following!

Looking back, I can see that I've been quite harsh to some people, and looking farther back, this place was originally a place where people just go "WTF " because they just read something extremely amusing, or because of the ridiculous amount of backlog, which was filled with random and amusing what not.

However, lately, the nuances of this place, and IRC quite frankly, is starting to take a nose dive.

Although there are additional parties to this issue, you, quite frankly, are spearheading this.

We are not a military.

And that's just in terms of how the environment feels.

In terms of how some people communicate with one another, now that I look at it, it's just deplorable. And I will admit, I am also a part of that deplorable behaviour, which disgusts me further since I liked how OC was when I had first joined it.

And that usually starts, because you keep attacking what people think, say, or do. Every time something looks out of place from real-world context, rather than trying to ask for clarification or a general, polite approach, you almost automatically fly off the handle and attack people's ideas. Although I see the ideas that you wish to convey, it gets so horribly garbled up in your attack that all people see is an aggressor, rather than a helper.

I could go on, but this is already getting a bit long for my tastes, so I will leave it at that.
ghazghkull is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hayaurion, kaonland, keroland, khrack, original content