AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad - Extra Episode (Tomoyo Chapter) Rating
Perfect 10 161 54.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 83 27.85%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 27 9.06%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 4.36%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 1.68%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.01%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.34%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.34%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 1.34%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-19, 07:37   Link #101
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by haiz123321 View Post
From what I've heard, the majority of the fans prefered the Tomoyo's ending
To bad it's not canon.
Old 2008-07-19, 07:54   Link #102
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

Quote:
The best part in Clannad is AS-part, and you really can't compare all other parts with it. So many feelings, personal problems and touching story with a real hard dramatic plot and really touching and amazing ending (true ending) in this part. I think, that everyone who played Clannad can easily prove it.

As for school part, well, for example, K&R's route is full of feelings and has a touching story and ending too. I think that a lot of fans like Tomoyo for it's unique behavour and her story (but also, her route has a lot of personal "chemistry" relations, a lot of kisses, very active personal relations, some sweet moments, for example, and so on. Nagisa's and K&R's are different in this plan, well, if you played Clannad - you know what I mean) so, this is based only on their own preferences. Also, looks like Key also like Tomoyo. And TA, of course.

Last edited by Littm; 2008-07-19 at 08:06.
Old 2008-07-19, 08:28   Link #103
Ruhisu
Tomoyo/Kotomi/Fuko fan

Quote:

Indeed. I prefer much the relationship Okazaki + Tomoyo than Okazaki + Nagisa. For me they suits each other perfectly.
Old 2008-07-19, 08:51   Link #104
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
they could OVA tomoyo after
and tv anime the after story

like people would complain
Old 2008-07-19, 12:32   Link #105
dave1992
Hinagiku Fans

Send a message via Yahoo to dave1992
It's an awesome episode, It might NOT deserved a 11 like the one that happened few months ago, but it did deserve 10.

Just hope that Tomoyo After is really showed, after seeing this.
Old 2008-07-19, 12:59   Link #106
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Clannad ~ Tomoyo Edition

First of all, I encountered no pacing issues whatsoever. This means that there was not a single time in the OVA that I felt lost or confused, except in the very beginning because I needed to "adjust" to the situation. After all, I watched this episode without knowing anything about it or expected to like it. For those who say that this could be better as a 2-3 episodes OVA, I must disagree. I was completely absorbed into the story for the entirety of the episode; thus, I don't see how it could have been any better. Dragging out the story for the sake of wanting more just doesn't make any sense, since it will probably lesson the suspence and overall emotional impact it had on me. Simply put, with no previous expectations or desire to watch this OVA, I was completely taken back by how good and impressive it was.

Story: 10
Art: 9
Sound: 8
Character: 10
Enjoyment: 10
Value: 8
Emotional Impact: 10

Story-wise, it was excellent, and I repeat: I am not a Tomoyo fanboy. The mood in the beginning was awkward at first because I just simply didn't expect what was happening, but the relationship that Tomoyo and Tomoya has until she was made president is very romantic without ever going over the top. The story then progresses to an internal struggle in both Tomoyo and Tomoya, the struggle betwen affection and ambition. As both strive for their similar goals, they realize how much of an influence they have on each other, even after they both said their good-byes. For some reason, I was very touched by this, and every scene portraying their internal struggle and external façade was completely believable. I felt as if I was one of the two, facing the exact same pain. This is to be a sign of excellent script and directing, and for that, the adaptatio nand story gets a ten from me. The epsiode suceeded at conveying the message of how love cannot be simply replaced by something else because it cannot be easily sacrificed and forgotten.

About several scenes that didn't make it into the episode, I'm sure that some might make the OVA a bit better, but this is after all an adaptation that requires the pacing of an animated work and not that of a game. I would have liked to see this famous kiss scene, but overall, the episode is already perfect without any other inclusions. If I were to rate this OVA completely from an enjoyment perspective, then it would undoubtedly get a ten. However, it correctly does not have any lasting thematic impact, so I will have to give it a nine. It is one of the only two anime that I have ever rate this highly due to enjoyment, and I am very glad to be able to watch this outstanding piece.

Final Rating: 9/10, "Outstanding"

Spoiler for My Rating Scale:
Old 2008-07-19, 13:38   Link #107
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
Now, this is all my guess, but i think Tomoyo may be the most popular, or second most popular character so they tried to take advantage of that. Tomoy is the only character to have an After game (if you don't count Nagisa who is the default ending). The Tomoyo After game which sold really well in Japan based on the story continuing from this. Also, Tomoyo and Kyou are the two shortest arcs in the anime, mainly because if they followed them it would be hard to end with Nagisa, and i guess they only had time for one and Tomoyo was the more popular of the two.
Quote:

ty, im glad tomoyo held a popularity advantage over kyou. though a true kyou ending would be rather cool to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
To bad it's not canon.
thats true, the story is much more interesting if tomoyo beat nagisa. too bad the most we can do is deny nagisa's existence and go with tomoyo.
Old 2008-07-19, 14:24   Link #108
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Eh. After watching 23 episodes of Tomoya x Nagisa, I found it hard to care about Tomoyo x Tomoya.

I don't dislike her, but I'm not precisely enamoured with her either. What touched me most about Clannad weren't the whole pairings things, but the individual stories of the girls. Especially Fuko's. Tomoyo's is the one I cared the least about.
Old 2008-07-19, 14:27   Link #109
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Eh. After watching 23 episodes of Tomoyo x Nagisa, I found it hard to care about Tomoyo x Tomoya.

I don't dislike her, but I'm not precisely enamoured with her either. What touched me most about Clannad weren't the whole pairings things, but the individual stories of the girls. Especially Fuko's. Tomoyo's is the one I cared the least about.
I hope your combining both her story in this episode with her very small arc from the game to make that decision. Remeber the only reason she was saving the trees was for her brother who also killed himself. I found it really touching that Tomoya chooses to save Tomoyo's dream then be with who he loves.
Old 2008-07-19, 14:29   Link #110
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I haven't played the game. But yes, when I say her story's the one I care the least about, I do mean that thing with her suicidal, brother.
Old 2008-07-19, 14:48   Link #111
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
Remeber the only reason she was saving the trees was for her brother who also killed himself.
Eh... no, he didn't.

Anyway, this episode was enjoyable. Not my favourite, but it was good enough. Although, I'll have to jump on the bandwagon and say that I really, really, REALLY dislike that song. It would have been much better if that damn song wasn't there, and they'd played some instrumental-track instead... I think.
Old 2008-07-19, 15:43   Link #112
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Well this was easily my favorite episode being a Tomoyo fanboy, more need to be said? Ofc I'm bias

But in all seriousness I dont really care about whether this was canon or not as long as the story is good and this was good.

Not in a masterpiece way but touching it was and by not having much development leading to it being only just a one shot episode, it did well in conveying that feeling. It would be more meaningful if you've play the game though but even without that it was emotional.

Perhaps it isn't very deep for more analysis but the simple problem still packs enough impact without being that "deep".

A very enjoyable episode

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2008-07-19, 16:41   Link #113
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I just got around to watching it and thought it was very good.

Oh, I want my own Tomoyo...

Though I was a little disappointed she didn't lay the smack down on Sunohara at any time. lol

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2008-07-19, 17:44   Link #114
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Does anyone here speak English that could translate the lyrics of Ana? I didn't understand any of it...

But seriously, I was looking forward to this OVA, because for me, just about every episode of Clannad has been very sweet while maintaining a very high level of interest from me throughout each episode. I was also looking forward to seeing what we missed in Tomoyo's Arc from previous episodes. When I first saw Clannad she struck me as the prettiest of the bunch, it was sort of a shame we'd have to skip out on some of her story.

But 20+ minutes of relationship trouble is the last thing I need. I found the plot predictable and boring. All the character's actions seemed to go for as much melodrama as possible, it's the sort of stuff I'd expect from a primetime TV drama. I loved the whole story about Tomoyo from the first season about her relationship with her family and how her brother's actions showed her how important family is. So I thought it was a little bit from left field when Clannad stopped going on about the theme of family and more into relationship issues this episode.

Tomoya bothered me a bit too, if other peoples comments on their relationship started to get to him, I was hoping he'd let Tomoyo know with actual words to be more prudent about things like using the PA system for personal uses and to start to get up early himself. I mean, why are you waiting until after you break up to start waking up early you bozo?! I wish they could have solidified Tomoyo's feelings in the episode a little more too, by showing why she likes Tomoya so much, maybe a montage in the beginning about how they started to date romantically would have helped.

All in all I thought it was Average, so I gave it a 6, it was mildly entertaining and amusing at times, I never really bought into the drama, which is the first time that's happened for me in a kyoani adaptation.

Last edited by Ceral; 2008-07-19 at 17:57.
Old 2008-07-19, 19:03   Link #115
nines
I much prefer the 2d

I just finished watching this omg I love it, I thought id prefer KyouxTomoya but TomoyaxTomoyo is so much better it just seems to fit perfectly. 9.5/10 loved it so much. If only this would of been the real series not so much of a nagisa fan they dont work out together from what I see x.x...(not flaming just how the act from the anime)

Story: 9/10
Animation: 8.5/10
Characters: 10/10
Sound:9/10
Old 2008-07-19, 19:35   Link #116
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
That brings me to a question, nines:

Do you (or does anyone else) know if there will be other "extra" episodes for other pairings? Like a Kyou pairing? I'd love to see that, but I think I'd prefer Tomoyo x Tomoya.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2008-07-19, 19:37   Link #117
SkoolRumble4Ya

This was a good episode but I didn't really seem into it at first because Tomoya with Nagisa makes a better couple in my opinion and also I know this is just a episode to please the fans.
Old 2008-07-19, 19:38   Link #118
SidVicious
Anime addict

Nice episode.

But Nagisa is still my favorite girl.
Old 2008-07-19, 20:04   Link #119
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

Send a message via ICQ to Shiroi Hane Send a message via AIM to Shiroi Hane Send a message via MSN to Shiroi Hane Send a message via Yahoo to Shiroi Hane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Also the scene with low colour while probably meant to be expressive in some manner also strikes me as an attempt to save money as well.
Someone still has to sit down and colour it, no matter what palette they are using - it't not like they're saving money on the 'paint' or anything.
Old 2008-07-19, 21:45   Link #120
Taiyakikung

Send a message via ICQ to Taiyakikung
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littm View Post
The best part in Clannad is AS-part, and you really can't compare all other parts with it. So many feelings, personal problems and touching story with a real hard dramatic plot and really touching and amazing ending (true ending) in this part. I think, that everyone who played Clannad can easily prove it.

As for school part, well, for example, K&R's route is full of feelings and has a touching story and ending too. I think that a lot of fans like Tomoyo for it's unique behavour and her story (but also, her route has a lot of personal "chemistry" relations, a lot of kisses, very active personal relations, some sweet moments, for example, and so on. Nagisa's and K&R's are different in this plan, well, if you played Clannad - you know what I mean) so, this is based only on their own preferences. Also, looks like Key also like Tomoyo. And TA, of course.
Agree!Tomoyo route is full of physical interaction between Tomoya/yo.
Sometimes,I don't like it.Tomoya looked very perverted.In contrast,Nagisa route especially after story is full of impressive dialogues that can make me cry.