2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 0.44%
1 out of 10 : Painful 29 6.44%
Voters: 450. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-09-07, 06:37   Link #481
Dream_Traveller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by killbethy View Post
LOL hasn't this whole show been a bit racist and pro-Japanese ONLY from the beginning? Taniguchi wants you to hate Britannia, and apparently none of the other "Areas" that were conquered had enough pride in their nationality to even bother to rise up and have a decent revolt and just rolled over like dead dogs. The Chinese Federation has a puppet princess and their leaders are willing to sell out their people to gain titles as Britannian nobility. The EU doesn't do anything. The only people who are actually pro-active and portrayed as "good" are the Japanese.
Taniguchi could at least be less blunt about it.

But I guess it's just another patriotic dig...

And I hear you, Charred Knight. I yearn for the old R1 fights. The last on-ground fight that was notable that I can remember was Gino taking on Asahina in Turn 6...and the Vincent in Turn 2, and the Babel Tower operation in general.
Dream_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 06:37   Link #482
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
Japan is not the U.S. or Europe. The population is still greatly homogeneous. They don't have a lot of black people and the traditional anime character designs use exaggerated facial features that render the racial background of most anime characters ambiguous.

You can't expect the japanese to have western sensitivities about race in their entertainment. Yeah, the export a lot of it... but it's still mainly produced for the japanese.
They should be learning from each other. Cyborg 009 was very progressive even by western standards in its showing of Race, and human relations, and that was written in the 60's.

Even later you have seen positive protrayal of people of color like in the Fullmetal Alchemist manga.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 06:41   Link #483
kir44n
#1 Delinquent

The Japanese, are for the most part, rather racist. Mind you, its not the vitriolic "i hate them with a passion" racism (with the exception of koreans, lord, don't get my obasan talking about the koreans), but don't really focus on too much outside their own nation, which is very homogenous.
kir44n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 06:41   Link #484
NoLongerSane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
Taniguchi has the general theme down pat, the problem is that in the first season, no one over powered each other, except for Suzaku which was for the sake of having a series where lelouch doesn't steamroll everyone in his elite army. We had exciting stylish battles with the inability to fly the battle coreography was unique. Then season 2 comes around we stop getting unique ground battles and instead get battles that look like they where based off Gundam Seed Destiny. Taniguchi has been on G Gundam so he should have known how to coreograph a fight.

In R2 Todoh is a complete joke he went from Sanger Zonvolt to a background character. Xingke dropped off the charts after China, and Suzaku went from a complete mess getting his ass handed to him by Kallen (a mecha pilot not a martial artist) to a god mod sue killing people in seconds.

While it quite hasn't reached Gundam Seed Destiny level of shittyness its getting close.
One can only imagine what the final Gurren/Lancelot battle will be like? Overpowered mechs with mirror pilots in ability, add to the fact that when both start fighting each other it's like watching a bad divorce. Lets add to how many secondary characters are going to fall due to this battle.
NoLongerSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 06:42   Link #485
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Quote:
LOL hasn't this whole show been a bit racist and pro-Japanese ONLY from the beginning? Taniguchi wants you to hate Britannia, and apparently none of the other "Areas" that were conquered had enough pride in their nationality to even bother to rise up and have a decent revolt and just rolled over like dead dogs. The Chinese Federation has a puppet princess and their leaders are willing to sell out their people to gain titles as Britannian nobility. The EU doesn't do anything. The only people who are actually pro-active and portrayed as "good" are the Japanese.
Did you miss the first season? The japanese rebellion was a JOKE! It was a bunch of old fat guys sitting around bickering amongst themselves about what to do next and a bunch of "hood" folk vandalizing crap. Kallen's group have crap technology, no money, and no skill. She was the only one that managed to do anything.

The only japanese people pulling their own weight were Kallen and Toudou w/ merry men. Toudou had to suffer through bad leadership from fat and proud japanese generals.

Lelouch was their "savior." He's the one that got them to perform at a certain level of competence.

A lot of other countries had pride enough to revolt but none of them had the leadership or technology to last very long. None of these other rebellions had LELOUCH! Lelouch was the X factor. His presence is japan is what enabled the japanese to mount their rebellion. It is mentioned throughout the series that Brittanian possessions are constantly trying to rebel but Cornelia and Schneizel are masters of putting these things down quickly.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 06:43   Link #486
killbethy

I know this isn't CG related, but what was all that Fullmetal Alchemist stuff at the end for? Anything new? Or just a collection of the anime and audio?
killbethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 06:43   Link #487
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 06:46   Link #488
killbethy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
Did you miss the first season? The japanese rebellion was a JOKE! It was a bunch of old fat guys sitting around bickering amongst themselves about what to do next and a bunch of "hood" folk vandalizing crap. Kallen's group have crap technology, no money, and no skill. She was the only one that managed to do anything.

The only japanese people pulling their own weight were Kallen and Toudou w/ merry men. Toudou had to suffer through bad leadership from fat and proud japanese generals.

Lelouch was their "savior." He's the one that got them to perform at a certain level of competence.
But they were still actively rebelling, and from the meetings you see with the Britannian army and royals, they are the only area to do so. The only other rebellions mentioned in the whole series are in the Chinese Federation when Zero leaks the conversation with the Eunuch Generals to the public. And that is a civil matter, nothing against Britannia.
killbethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 06:46   Link #489
Wolfpack

Does anyone have any info on the frame we saw in the preview, the same shot that had Gino and Kallen in the background?
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 06:47   Link #490
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Quote:
I know this isn't CG related, but what was all that Fullmetal Alchemist stuff at the end for? Anything new? Or just a collection of the anime and audio?
There is a new season/series of FMA in the works.
Old 2008-09-07, 06:48   Link #491
NoLongerSane

I am guessing an upgraded Tristan to compete with Suzaku. I mean, the guy was pretty much spanked in this episode.
Old 2008-09-07, 06:49   Link #492
anyme

I'm so happy that Nunnally is alive.

Lulu & Suzaku are hated by Nunnally, I feel happy x2
anyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 06:51   Link #493
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Spoiler:
Nunnally's re-emergence changes the whole kiss. Kallen was kissing a "dead man walking." Schneizel pulled the combo breaker and now Lelouch has to come up with another plan. Seems like suicide is no longer on the menu.

And CC has the power to save whoever is near death to begin with. Kallen and Lelouch could have their dramatic makeup. CC could go... "awe... look they are so into each other, time for me to die so they can live happily ever after."
Old 2008-09-07, 06:51   Link #494
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
I am guessing an upgraded Tristan to compete with Suzaku. I mean, the guy was pretty much spanked in this episode.
I'm guessing Gino will take down Albion to dispel all Yamato comparisons for you....
Old 2008-09-07, 06:52   Link #495
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

I knew it it would rear its ugly head... Sunrise Sequel Syndrome. When was the last time this company released a sequel that didn't have poor mid and endgame execution?
Old 2008-09-07, 06:54   Link #496
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyme View Post
I'm so happy that Nunnally is alive.

Lulu & Suzaku are hated by Nunnally, I feel happy x2
NUNNALLY!!!!!!!!!! HELL YEAH!

Can't wait for her to open those big eyes and stand! BWAHAHAHA!

Imagine Nunnally living up to being "her mother's daughter."
Old 2008-09-07, 06:55   Link #497
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kir44n View Post
The Japanese, are for the most part, rather racist. Mind you, its not the vitriolic "i hate them with a passion" racism (with the exception of koreans, lord, don't get my obasan talking about the koreans), but don't really focus on too much outside their own nation, which is very homogenous.
I know that, the problem is that when Taniguchi is bitching about how Sunrise keeps fucking with him, I expect better results than the average Japanese show.

I don't expect racist characters, sexist characters, or lazy battle choreography.

The least he could do was to attempt to half ass that UFN isn't just the Chinese, and Japanese fighting the evil white man.

The man wants us to see him as a matyr being unjustly punished, and when he does turn in his work its frequently crap entirely dependent on plot twists.

Nunnaly is dead!
Now Nunnaly is Alive!
Marianne is alive!
Marianne is EVIL!
Captain Dick has a retarded hat!

Also his " don't hate America"crap would make more sense if the Britannians didn't keep getting nuked and where not protrayed as racist dumbasses most of the time.
Old 2008-09-07, 06:58   Link #498
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Enigma View Post
I knew it it would rear its ugly head... Sunrise Sequel Syndrome. When was the last time this company released a sequel that didn't have poor mid and endgame execution?

TV series? Mai Otome wasn't horrible, but if you want excellent execution

Zeta Gundam, which was made in the mid 80's

OVAs their much better with Endless Waltz being superior to Wing, and GGG FINAL being an excellent addition to GaoGaiGar.
Old 2008-09-07, 07:04   Link #499
NoLongerSane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Enigma View Post
In actuallity, Sunrise has done what you have state to animes that do not have sequels. Betterman is an example that I can think of. The starting episodes were great, is slowed in the middle, and then we were treated to a rush and confusing ending. As things stand now, we are probably going to get a rushed and confusing ending as well with this show. Hopefully I am wrong.
Old 2008-09-07, 07:07   Link #500
Dream_Traveller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
I know that, the problem is that when Taniguchi is bitching about how Sunrise keeps fucking with him, I expect better results than the average Japanese show.

I don't expect racist characters, sexist characters, or lazy battle choreography.

The least he could do was to attempt to half ass that UFN isn't just the Chinese, and Japanese fighting the evil white man.

The man wants us to see him as a matyr being unjustly punished, and when he does turn in his work its frequently crap entirely dependent on plot twists.

Nunnaly is dead!
Now Nunnaly is Alive!
Marianne is alive!
Marianne is EVIL!
Captain Dick has a retarded hat!

Also his " don't hate America"crap would make more sense if the Britannians didn't keep getting nuked and where not protrayed as racist dumbasses most of the time.
What was the point of creating Monica and Dorothea if they were nothing more than thinly-vieled jabs at women and black people, respectively?

Taniguchi's little crusade because his time-slot wasn't allowed is getting far out of hand.
Dream_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote