AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations > Custom Requests

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-02, 02:55   Link #1
Momosan
?Clannad Troll¿

Talking Baka!

All suggestions welcome ^_^.

My favorite anime was probably Aegis of Uruk because it's a hilarious parody that maintains a semi serious facade.

I've watched both Death Note and Code Geass and while they are engrossing at first, I really do tend to hate how they find weak ways to pop airtight scenarios. Lelouch/Euphemia's conclusion and Light's conclusion both were rather jilted and forced IMO. I'm not against the genre though.

Mecha style.. well I love Gundam Wing back when I was a little kid and I just finished FMP which I thought was very well done, but usually I find anime using mecha to constantly distract from the plot as opposed to enhancing it. Geass has the mecha combat done right for the most part.

I think I want to try one that has a high school student setting. I heard Melancholy of Suzumi Haruhama was a lighthearted anime with that feel so I think I might try that.

Pretty much I either want to be chuckling every few minutes to a slightly slapstick moment or involved in something philosophically deep.

Of course, I'll take all suggestions as I love anime and Japanese culture in general. Thanks to all who contribute.
Old 2008-10-02, 15:41   Link #2
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Definitely check out Suzumiya Haruhi, some of her antics are really quite funny and it is a high school setting like you said.

Lucky Star (watch after Haruhi) is another good one with lots of laughs and set in a high school. It's a bunch of otaku humor so there may be some places where you don't fully get the jokes/things seen if you haven't seen the anime they are making fun of... there are quite a few Haruhi references in Lucky Star, and thats why I say to watch that first and LS second.

Hayate no Gotoku is another otaku-ish humor show which is set (loosely) around a high school. There is also a bit of romance to the story however, in fact starting from the very first episode one char believes the other confessed to them and goes through the whole anime thinking that.

I've not seen it personally so can't really comment too much, but often times people have said "if you liked Death Note (and maybe Code Geass, but not 100% sure on that) you'll likely like Utawarerumono" if I'm remembering right, so you could look into that maybe.

Blood+ could be worth looking into also. It's not really that deep but one could argue there are some philosophical elements to it... plus for some reason when I think Death Note personally my mind jumps to Blood+ (or vice versa lol) very quickly.

If you're not against having a fairly heavy romance plot too you could check out Da Capo and/or Shuffle! and of course Love Hina. Of those 3 all but Love Hina take place mostly in/around high schools, and Love Hina is set shortly after High School trying to get into college. Love Hina certainly is the most comedic (and less romantic, but it's still there) of those 3, however there are still some slap-stick chars in Da Capo and Shuffle! also. Also in Shuffle and Da Capo there are a few times when things could probably be called Philosophical too.

Finally, you really can't mention "Feel good" without giving a (imo major) nod to the Aria series (The Animation, The Natural, The Origination). It's really just a pure slice of life feel good show.

We will always exist before our Mistress of the Night Sky, Hayate

Last edited by Cynor; 2008-10-03 at 14:03.
Old 2008-10-02, 23:02   Link #3
Momosan
?Clannad Troll¿

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them all out ^_^.
Old 2008-10-03, 07:05   Link #4
Shadow Kira01

School Rumble is somewhat of a romantic comedy, even though the comedy part isn't very funny.

Aria the Origination and Mahou Sensei Negima is pretty good.
Old 2008-10-03, 12:57   Link #5
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

I also think the same way about mecha and action in general... I used to be really into those genres when I was younger too. But, have found the latter type of anime you have described as more my taste after actually seeing some of that stuff! I wonder if you haven't seen much drama/comedy/romance anime yet? My guess is if you haven't seen Haruhi Suzumiya, you might not have checked out some of the more popular pure comedies/drama/romance yet.

If you want something that will make you wear a stupid grin on your face for pretty much every second you're watching, with plenty of slapstick and laugh out loud moments, it's an absolute must to check out Azumanga Daioh. It's a pure comedy, that cranks out joke after joke, but it plays a lot on the character's habits and idiosyncracies, so there's a small aspect of the show about getting to know the characters and connecting with their behavior besides just throw-away laughs. Also, it is a high school setting type of anime, which you have said you had some interest in watching. Which makes me think you might have had this common plot element in an anime deter you from watching in the past, I know I that I did this. The cast is also composed entirely of girls, I wouldn't let any of these things deter you from watching, though.

I would give the same description for Lucky Star as I would Azumanga, however Lucky Star's jokes are pretty much all dialogue and the great deal of them centered around Gaming and Anime, which makes it less accessible to some. But, by the same token, it makes it more appealing to others.

For something with great humor, great drama, and actually not all that much heavy romance... IMO the romance that is there is sweet and innocent (More like friendship) and the plot moves thanks to outside elements instead of internal character drama. A lot of romances I watch, have characters fooling around with several characters and there is a lot of ridiculous stuff going on, this is NOT that. Still it is very deep and it is the most emotional piece of media I have ever seen.

The titles are Kanon and Clannad, it is from the same people who made Haruhi Suzumiya (Kyoto Animation) but I think they're kind of underrated compared to Haruhi. For people who like something that's more emotional and uplifting, Kanon and Clannad are the way to go. Both take place in a high school setting too, the characters are much more... ehh... "enlightened" than your regular high school characters though. The stories are pretty damn amazing IMO, they're more epic than the stuff I've seen in games or other anime. There is a lot of humor in these as well, the drama is crazy, but it's not the type of drama that will make it impossible for humor to come out after the dramatic moments(Whatever the hell that means... You'll probably need to watch to know) Finally I'll warn you that Clannad is my personal favorite so I am a little bias.

Edited Afterthought: I totally overlooked you saying your favorite was Aegis of Uruk, I haven't seen Aegis of Uruk, but I would bet my all of my belongings (excluding my anime collection) that it is nothing like the series I recommended(Since they are different genres and they are unique in their genres too). So tread with much caution and an open mind(which you seem to have).

Last edited by Ceral; 2008-10-05 at 13:33.
Old 2008-10-03, 14:17   Link #6
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

I don't know if I'd really call Kanon and Clannad underrated compared to Haruhi, since all 3 (as are most/all Kyo Anime shows) are great series and people watch them just for that. However, I really think that Kanon and Clannad appeal to a slightly different audience then Haruhi. Kanon and Clannad are more about the romance and Haruhi is... well it's a little more hard to place but the focus is more on high school then the romance imo. When I think of Haruhi the first thing that pops into my mind isn't "romance" it's "comedy". However, when I think of Clannad and Kanon I think more of romance (although Clannad is also very heavy slice of life too). That isn't to say there isn't some romance in Haruhi, which plays a big part at times, but at the same time the focus seems to be more on Haruhi's antics and the comedy/results of those.

Old 2008-10-03, 14:50   Link #7
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Yeah, I completely agree with you about the observations you make on the differences in the three series. I did say that I thought Kanon and Clannad were much more dramatic and emotional, so I thought I was clear that they weren't the same genres. I wasn't trying to pass off Clannad or Kanon as the same genre as Haruhi.
But I see now that the comment about me saying they're underrated could be misconstrued to make it seem that way.

What I meant was I think their production is just as good(They do have the same staff after all). You might argue that Haruhi has a wider appeal and is so popular because of it's comedy-laden multi-genre feel as well as the other things it does well. But IMO, Clannad is very impressive and does just as many things in other areas well, and should get just as much discussion when it comes to recommendations and when people are talking about anime. That's just my opinion though, obviously everyone has different tastes. I'm just making a recommendation to the OP who seems open minded, sorry if I made it sound like one would watch Kanon or Clannad for the comedy, you most definitely watch these for the characters, storyline, and the drama and romance that results. But, you can't knock the fact that these don't have a very strong element of comedy in them that sets them apart (among other things) from a serious drama that is devoid of comedy.

Which is why I think Kanon and Clannad have plenty of appeal to people who are looking to have a good time as well as get a tamer sort of romance and and some compelling drama. As long as you let them know that there is some romance and drama, there's no harm done, if one wasn't looking for drama, one could just ignore that recommendation and stick with Haruhi.

Last edited by Ceral; 2008-10-03 at 16:37.
Old 2008-10-05, 01:18   Link #8
Momosan
?Clannad Troll¿

Ceral - Hahaha, you seem intimately acquainted with details of Kanon and Clannad to the point I feel as if I've been missing out on something great ^_^.

I didn't mean to try any limit any suggestions by listing anime I have found most interesting to date. I will watch any anime that anyone suggests as long as they have valid and compelling reasons why I should. If I limited myself to specific genres then I never would've been able to enjoy the current anime I've discovered. As I watch more and more anime though, it becomes harder and harder to discover new worthwhile series so that's why I decided to seek advice here.

I'll be honest with you, I found Aegis of Uruk accidentally while looking for something on Youtube and FMP due to a little.... uhhhh, fanfare action that Chidori was kind enough to impart in some random clip I saw. I've just been a lucky goose when it came to stumbling across anime .

Once again, thank you for your suggestions. Keep them coming!
Old 2008-10-05, 12:19   Link #9
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momosan View Post
Ceral - Hahaha, you seem intimately acquainted with details of Kanon and Clannad to the point I feel as if I've been missing out on something great ^_^.

Well both Clannad and Kanon are VERY good series. I'd rank both really up there on the series I've seen, probably top 10 material... but considering if I was to rank my animes in my collection I'd end up with a "top 10" list of like 20-30 animes due to not being able to decide which is better... The story on both just sort of draws you into them, both have great production, and of course likeable characters. Even if you don't like romance anime these series you'll probably enjoy... but they ARE romance series so if someone is dead set against those...

Old 2008-10-05, 15:48   Link #10
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Right. Right. Kanon and Clannad have a lot of Romance. To clarify, I would say that they have a lot of light romance and a couple doses of heavier romance. The way the storyline develops in the anime, is that it sort of looks to resolve individual personal problems and focus less on the character's relationships with eachother. Still there is some sort of romantic relationship being built between the characters when they resolve problems. I mean, I wouldn't find it as interesting to watch if the storyline focused on two guys or two girls(Who had no romantic interest in eachother). The romantic relationships of the characters aren't always at the forefront(Although, sometimes they are the focus too). Their relationships are usually a strong undercurrent during the episodes. I would say that the individual characters and their storylines, which usually result in lots of drama, take precedence over the romance.

Since Momo-san seems open to all suggestions, I would say that the opposite of Kanon and Clannad would be something like "Kimi ga Nozomu Eien" or "True Tears", which is all about the relationships between the characters. I would say that the type of romance in these are reversed, you have "heavy romance" here and very scarce "light romance". Here you have the darker side of romance, you have people who have feelings for eachother but have problems with eachother as well. There is lots of misunderstanding between the characters, and emotions are being repressed all the time. You have characters going out with eachother and then breaking up and all the characters are getting hurt and lots of guilty parties are involved. Whereas a brighter romance is all about the characters getting along, and showing their relationship build(I want to know where all of these anime are?).

Oi! I know this isn't supposed to be a thread about romance though. Let's see if I can help it get back on track and throw out some pure comedies out there. You seemed to be interested in getting into the world of high school comedies which would keep you chuckling. School Rumble is pretty hilarious, this one is labeled a romantic comedy, but there's neither any Light or Heavy Romance here; No relationships are being built and as a result no relationships are being torn apart . Characters have crushes on one another, and basically they play upon this fact to create hilarious situations where characters are trying to express their feelings, only to fall short because of usually absurd or unforseen(To the character) outside circumstances. Minami-Ke is also a hilarious comedy, it's about three very quirky sisters, each in a different stage of the public school system. There's lots of fan-service and wackiness if you like that.
Closed Thread