Yeah, like "jerking a person's chain".
azul120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 04:36   Link #3202
rave
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post

That's my feelings as well

Okouchi and Taniguchi had a good idea, show the rise and spiritual fall of Lelouch Vi Britannia, while Lelouch becomes more and more powerful he does more and more horrible things to the point where in an attempt to redeem himself he orders his own death.

The problem is that they felt this need to make Lelouch EPIC! Instead of being an intelligent, competent leader, his a SUPER GENIUS whose the only thing stopping Brtiannia from WORLD DOMINATION! The only member of the Black Knights who isn't useless is Kallen, and the rest might as well not even exist since their only used as cannon fodder. When he does die his death is so EPIC that the entire world stops fighting, and embraces peace

Since Code Geass was popular they needed more EPIC MECHAS so its revealed that Britannia has an ELITE squad of the TEN BEST MECHA PILOTS in the entire Empire. Of course their simply used as Elite mooks, and by the end their not even that. The KoR never get any character development, so each of them can be described with "(adjective) Enemy" like how Gino is the Friendly Enemy, Bismarck is the Noble Enemy, or Dorothea is the Black Enemy.

They also created really idiotic fanservice, the worst being the scene where Villeta bitches about how she can't believe she let Shirley talk her into wearing a swimsuit that is basically a small piece of cloth and some string. It's basically the type of swimsuit you wear if your trying to have sex on the beach.
ROTFL
Indeed,lucky bastard Ohgi i guess,another character that was screwed in season 2.He basically became a mindless man that followed Villeta's vag.You are right about BK,only Kallen being useful of all the cast.Suzaku spent half R2 not knowing what to do,Lelouch was cool as usual but the scene with God was absolutely ridiculous and mariane was just a hyperactive bitch of a joke.It is true,season 2 was really poor writing.Enjoyable but writing that was out of someone's ass.
rave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 05:17   Link #3203
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

I like the word epic

Hence season 2 was just perfect to me. Of course I'd change this and that but then the role of a creator and the audience is different. As a part of the audience, I feel utterly satisfied
Old 2009-01-12, 05:23   Link #3204
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by rave View Post
ROTFL
Indeed,lucky bastard Ohgi i guess,another character that was screwed in season 2.He basically became a mindless man that followed Villeta's vag.You are right about BK,only Kallen being useful of all the cast.Suzaku spent half R2 not knowing what to do,Lelouch was cool as usual but the scene with God was absolutely ridiculous and mariane was just a hyperactive bitch of a joke.It is true,season 2 was really poor writing.Enjoyable but writing that was out of someone's ass.
Which is why I am confused when this show gets accolades along the line

"Bad writing, bad pacing but it was enjoyable and that makes it the best series of the year"

That's kind of a low standard their.

I found the actual quote from Random Curiosity

"Yes, the pacing and the script were pretty bad, but in terms of enjoyment, I just can’t justify anything else over Code Geass R2."

For me the biggest problem with the Black Knights where Xingke and Toudoh, both are described as geniuses, and both are useless after the initial episodes they appear in, and it becomes obvious that the whole thing was just to make Lelouch look good.

"Wow Lelouch is commanding a guy who can defeat Knightmare Frames with tanks"
"Wow Lelouch is commanding a guy who is the equal to him and Suzaku"

Toudoh, and Xingke could have been Code Geass' answer to Roy Mustang, and Olivier Mira Armstrong but both pretty much dissapear as anything other than above average mecha pilots.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 05:35   Link #3205
rave
Banned

Quote:
Which is why I am confused when this show gets accolades along the line

"Bad writing, bad pacing but it was enjoyable and that makes it the best series of the year"

That's kind of a low standard their.

I found the actual quote from Random Curiosity

"Yes, the pacing and the script were pretty bad, but in terms of enjoyment, I just can’t justify anything else over Code Geass R2."

For me the biggest problem with the Black Knights where Xingke and Toudoh, both are described as geniuses, and both are useless after the initial episodes they appear in, and it becomes obvious that the whole thing was just to make Lelouch look good.

Toudoh, and Xingke could have been Code Geass' answer to Roy Mustang, and Olivier Mira Armstrong but both pretty much dissapear as anything other than above average mecha pilots.
I guess Geass was a show that was ridiculously entertaining.Whatever Lelouch did was a new trend for the fandom.Yes,compared to season 1,season 2 was trash.But it still had the Geass feeling.Or if you want,it had Lelouch.Most people were watching for this.
As for the Black Knights,it was a joke.Kallen could do everything alone.Ohgi was a useless excuse of a crap leader,Tohdoh and Xingke whatever you said.It is obvious that everything in season 2 was changed.Mariane was the most useless plot in the history of it and Viletta happy marriage in the end,was another joke from yours truly.
rave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 05:40   Link #3206
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Are you kidding me? You've to to be kidding me. Are you people actually still rehashing these same old talking points that have long since been discussed to death? I'd use the phrase beating a dead horse but I think a new way to describe redundancy needs to be invented just to cover this thread. Especially in Charred Knight's case who really needs to learn to just let it fricking go and leave people to their own thoughts about the show. I think I speak for most people when I ask you to give it a rest already.

As for everyone else involved in this discussion, seriously, is this really that hard to settle on? Enough beating around the bush. Screw this talk about "trainwrecks" and "epic masterpieces" and let's cut to the bloody point already:

Entertaining and popular show that carries with it a number of flaws in writing and characterization and thus never realizes it's full potential. S*** happens, it's television. Done.

At this point the only reason to really carry on with this silly "was it a masterpiece or trash" discussion is for the sheer sake of it as all sides have made their respective points about 3 months ago and there's little headway left to be made in persuading people to change their minds about the show.

New topic please if you all would be willing, and I introduce this one in the interest of looking towards the future instead of dwelling on the past. What do people expect out of the upcoming picture dramas that are almost certain to be featured in the also upcoming DVD releases of R2?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 06:33   Link #3207
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?

Not expecting much on the upcoming PD's. PD6(KOR) and PD8(Cecile's past) I'm not interesting in. There hasn't been info on what PD7 will be about. The last PD which is going to a sort of epilogue could be interesting. I used to think it'll be with the other 3 MC's along with Nunnally in a group conversation. I'm in the opinion now that it'll be Kallen or Nunnally/both confronting Suzaku as Zero. Since neither Suzaku or C.C don't know that Kallen and Nunnally realized what Lelouch was trying to do. I think it'll be more interesting then knowing the fates of the minor characters since we can guess on what they're doing and probably be right on the money except Xingke of course.
Old 2009-01-12, 11:54   Link #3208
Xander

Quote:
The pacing was far worse than the script, really, and I would say the writing was not universally bad with no good points or no sense at all like some people pretend. The good has to be considered along with the bad, not just one or the other. Bashing for the sake of bashing is no better than praise for the sake of praise.

I don't think the "THIS SHOW RULEZ" people and the "THIS SHOW SUX" people are that different. Real arguments need to be made.

Quote:

Honestly, I don't really think they needed to be compared to those characters you mention, but at least Xingke did need a couple more scenes to justify why he was supposed to be so special. This really only became a problem because he did nothing other than piloting mecha during the final battles of the show, despite having been shown as a capable leader during the Chinese Federation arc.

Toudouh's case is different, since his one off-screen tactical victory over Britannia did not require him to be an actual genius, in my opinion, despite the nickname other people gave him but which he never used to describe himself. You could tell he was being hyped up on purpose by the other members of the JLF, probably beyond his actual abilities. His only leadership abilities were to order around other Knightmares on the battlefield. Even Diethard when he said that Toudoh was not a bad leader but lacked charisma was tacitly pointing this out, since charisma is one of the necessary characteristics of a leader. Heck, Xingke displayed more of it than Toudouh.

Of course, the show was still going to make Lelouch look better, just like even in FMA Al and Ed end up looking better than a ton of other leaders and their personnel since you keep bringing up that comparison, but I agree that there could have been a little more balance.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 15:15   Link #3209
Levy
differently sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Toudouh's case is different, since his one off-screen tactical victory over Britannia did not require him to be an actual genius, in my opinion, despite the nickname other people gave him but which he never used to describe himself. You could tell he was being hyped up on purpose by the other members of the JLF, probably beyond his actual abilities. His only leadership abilities were to order around other Knightmares on the battlefield. Even Diethard when he said that Toudoh was not a bad leader but lacked charisma was tacitly pointing this out, since charisma is one of the necessary characteristics of a leader. Heck, Xingke displayed more of it than Toudouh.
Even though we know from Lelouch himself that the battle of Itsukushima was, tactically, an amazing success, I like your idea of the JLF exagerating Kyoshiro's merits with him not really asking for it, and even less for the nickname he has been given. It reminded me of the scene of the execution of the BK, while other captives were pleading for Zero to appear and make a miracle, and there Tohdoh lowered his eyes and said 'pff, miracle', using the word, 'kiseki', that is used in his nickname, and he seemed so bitter about it...
Anyway, you can tell that from a lot of things he's a modest person, and yes, he definitely lack the charisma to be a leader of a such a great and ambitious group, altought he's well respected by his subordinates and deeply respect them in return.

Anyway, all we know about OldSamuraiMan comes from s1 and the sound episodes, while Xingke, an r2-only character, suffered quite a bit from a lack of further development, and any of the things we've said change the fact that the problem with R2 revolving too much around Lelouch alone is not helping to believe the world can actually turn without Strike-a-Pose-Boy with purple eyes XD
Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 16:13   Link #3210
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levy View Post
Even though we know from Lelouch himself that the battle of Itsukushima was, tactically, an amazing success, I like your idea of the JLF exagerating Kyoshiro's merits with him not really asking for it, and even less for the nickname he has been given. It reminded me of the scene of the execution of the BK, while other captives were pleading for Zero to appear and make a miracle, and there Tohdoh lowered his eyes and said 'pff, miracle', using the word, 'kiseki', that is used in his nickname, and he seemed so bitter about it...
Anyway, you can tell that from a lot of things he's a modest person, and yes, he definitely lack the charisma to be a leader of a such a great and ambitious group, altought he's well respected by his subordinates and deeply respect them in return.

Anyway, all we know about OldSamuraiMan comes from s1 and the sound episodes, while Xingke, an r2-only character, suffered quite a bit from a lack of further development, and any of the things we've said change the fact that the problem with R2 revolving too much around Lelouch alone is not helping to believe the world can actually turn without Strike-a-Pose-Boy with purple eyes XD

The idea of Code Geass being the biography of Lelouch wasn't a bad idea, but they took it too far by having everyone be worthless without him. I would have loved the idea of say Lelouch being the leader, and guy who comes up with the long term plans, while Xingke fires out the actual battle plans as we see the Black Knights grow from a rag tag group to a real army like the growth of both the American Revolutionary force, and the Loyalist from Japan.

One of the reasons I consider Code Geass to be a downer ending is that there is no one that can fill Lelouch's shoes. They don't need a symbol they need the actual Lelouch.

Except for Kaguya and Nunnaly, everyone left is incompetent, they have Ougi as Prime Minister

Ougi
Old 2009-01-12, 16:14   Link #3211
incorrupts
Banned

Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Quote:

Except for Kaguya and Nunnaly, everyone left is incompetent, they have Ougi as Prime Minister

Ougi
I think that must have been an in-joke in the ending. I mean, srsly.
incorrupts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 16:17   Link #3212
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Doesn't Suzaku eventually succeed Lelouche by killing him? Like, Lelu killed Charles, who had killed V.V.,so he got his code and by killing him in the end his friend becomes immortal as well(???) Guh,gotta cut down on the evening drinks...
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 16:19   Link #3213
incorrupts
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassenSekkai View Post
Doesn't Suzaku eventually succeed Lelouche by killing him? Like, Lelu killed Charles, who had killed V.V.,so he got his code and by killing him in the end his friend becomes immortal as well(???) Guh,gotta cut down on the evening drinks...

Yeah, the code is transferred when you pierce someone though the heart into a Zero costume. I mean, i think, i am not sure. But it HAS to be Zero costume. That is obligatory.
Old 2009-01-12, 16:26   Link #3214
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrupts View Post
I think that must have been an in-joke in the ending. I mean, srsly.
The theory I heard is that Ougi is the self insert of Taniguchi (I heard this theory on TVTropes I believe), this explains the hot slutty wife, and the Prime Minister position.

I can't possibly imagine both Taniguchi and Okouchi thinking that Ougi is somehow competent enough to become Prime Minister. I mean they never even tried to show him as competent, the guy sell out Lelouch for Schneizel for pete sake.
Old 2009-01-12, 16:30   Link #3215
incorrupts
Banned

Quote:
The theory I heard is that Ougi is the self insert of Taniguchi (I heard this theory on TVTropes I believe), this explains the hot slutty wife, and the Prime Minister position.

I can't possibly imagine both Taniguchi and Okouchi thinking that Ougi is somehow competent enough to become Prime Minister. I mean they never even tried to show him as competent, the guy sell out Lelouch for Schneizel for pete sake.

Ahaha, the first one made me rofl.

But yeah, apart biased or even trust-issues, Ougi has been proven not good for these kind of positions. The guy can't make a decision to save his life. {in the span of S1 as well} If BK did not have Kallen, they would all have gone to hell.

But well, what can you say, appeasing the fans? Appeasing the fans it is.
Old 2009-01-12, 17:09   Link #3216
Haku-Men
Banned

Location: depths of Kagutsuchi where the Sheol Gate is located
Remember the bust size chart of all the female characters from season one, well apparently here's a new one for R2 from the latest magazine scan.
Spoiler for Picture scan:

Spoiler for The results:
Haku-Men is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 17:12   Link #3217
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku-Men View Post
Remember the bust size chart of all the female characters from season one, well apparently here's a new one for R2 from the latest magazine scan.
Spoiler for Picture scan:

Spoiler for The results:
Thanks for that .

Meeya = Nani My Honey?

I don't remember that she had a gigantic bust size O____________________________o
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 17:13   Link #3218
incorrupts
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
Meeya = Nani My Honey?

I don't remember that she had a gigantic bust size O____________________________o
Ahahaha, neither do i. xDDD {i remember rofling on nani-mai-hani though}

Thanks for the pic ~
Old 2009-01-12, 17:14   Link #3219
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrupts View Post
Ahahaha, neither do i. xDDD {i remember rofling on nani-mai-hani though}

Thanks for the pic ~
Well, about Guinevere, it sounds about right. But I really wonder if Meeya at the top is not an error
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 17:16   Link #3220
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I don't see how she could have a bust that size unless she wraps it underneath her school uniform. And Miya doesn't strike me as the type of girl to do that.