AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2009-01-10, 03:09   Link #61
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

Gah! Horo is not spock! Get it out of my head!
Old 2009-01-12, 21:38   Link #62
Lightly_Toasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Not sure I'd be calling a goddess an "animal" and its between two sentient creatures -- kind of like Spock's parents (human and Vulcan).
Plus you can't necessarily say Horo IS a god yet. Though she is very powerful and scary, she could be a wolf who has possibly found the secret to eternal life?(KEEP YOUR TAIL WLL GROOMED) But in all honesty, as much as we want to believe Horo is a god, it is tough to come to that exact conclusion
Spoiler for Ep 12:
But I seriously want to believe she is, and maybe
Spoiler for Volume 4 Spoilers:
(She is certainly god like.)
Lightly_Toasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 23:12   Link #63
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank-Mage View Post
Gah! Horo is not spock! Get it out of my head!
I just think its hilariously tragic when people will sit and happily watch science fiction full of beings bopping each other across the galaxy or read mythology without a quiver --- yet go into a spastic anti-bestial frenzy when one of the sentient creatures has ears and a tail in an anime. No, I don't think the poster I was correcting was doing that - but he was saying the sorts of things that *lead* to twits showing up and making fools of themselves.
Old 2009-01-13, 02:57   Link #64
Blank-Mage

Quote:
I just think its hilariously tragic when people will sit and happily watch science fiction full of beings bopping each other across the galaxy or read mythology without a quiver --- yet go into a spastic anti-bestial frenzy when one of the sentient creatures has ears and a tail in an anime. No, I don't think the poster I was correcting was doing that - but he was saying the sorts of things that *lead* to twits showing up and making fools of themselves.
Not to worry, I'm a Trekkie, it's just the thought of Leonard Nimoy with a tail freaks me out. (More of a TNG guy, anyway.)
Old 2009-01-14, 17:40   Link #65
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
I know from personal experience some of these twits actually dig Horo.

Protip: If you're going to call me a "furry", it's probably best not to post comments like "I’d put my seeds in her if you know what I mean…." on a well known anime blog using a psudonym you've told me already. One guy in my anime club made that mistake.

Quote:
Not to worry, I'm a Trekkie, it's just the thought of Leonard Nimoy with a tail freaks me out. (More of a TNG guy, anyway.)
Is that really as mind breaking as the people who ship Data and Yuki Nagato?
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 18:28   Link #66
Blank-Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
GAH! Get it out of my head!
Old 2009-08-23, 20:38   Link #67
BashZeStampeedo

Lawrence makes the story one of the best I have witnessed in many years. Horo would still earn it that position, but Lawrence propels it into the stratosphere. He is a delightfully subtle and carefully "crafted" character, the kind you rarely see in modern fiction.

He is painfuly aware of his flaws and works hard with what he's given to transcend them. He has somehow gotten this far and become this good without losing his fundamentally good and compassionate nature (which is very easy to overlook because he's SUPPOSED to be a tough and heartless merchant).

Actions speak louder than words, but in his case they are his only means of non-business communication (he has no verbal skills whatsoever outside of business). Horo does not really seem to catch that, and Lawrence misses her cues. But the story somehow rises above this fundamental and obvious conflict.

If anything I think Horo is the deciding factor on where their relationship goes, and he seems to know that. He has already given Horo all the evidence she needs to know his heart, so let's hope her wisdom overcomes her pride

Last edited by BashZeStampeedo; 2009-08-23 at 20:51.
BashZeStampeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 06:41   Link #68
FTGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashZeStampeedo View Post
If anything I think Horo is the deciding factor on where their relationship goes, and he seems to know that. He has already given Horo all the evidence she needs to know his heart, so let's hope her wisdom overcomes her pride
*FTGT is keeping his fingers crossed*
FTGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 20:15   Link #69
SpicyKitty

Lawrence is the strong but sweet type. It's obvious he likes Horo but is super shy about it.
SpicyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 21:20   Link #70
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyKitty View Post
Lawrence is the strong but sweet type. It's obvious he likes Horo but is super shy about it.
I don't know if it is really about him being shy. The way I see it, Lawrence is very unsure. Its obvious he has feelings for Horo at this point, but he fails to say it himself to the one he needs to say it to. Larence comes across to me as a guy who is isolated by his lifestyle and social interaction where nothing but aid for his transactions. However lawrence is just starting to get past that. As said by his business partner Mark a few episodes back, "So we're friends now?". This suggests that Lawrence has had many business partners, but few that he considered friends.

What it really comes down to is that Horo and Lawrence are two individuals seeking comfort in each other's company. The wazy I see it is both Horo and Lawrence are trying not to think about how special these feelings they have for each other. Horo probably has it worse due to the simple foreboding fact that she will outlive Lawrence.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 05:32   Link #71
pacific
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
I don't know if it is really about him being shy. The way I see it, Lawrence is very unsure. Its obvious he has feelings for Horo at this point, but he fails to say it himself to the one he needs to say it to. Larence comes across to me as a guy who is isolated by his lifestyle and social interaction where nothing but aid for his transactions.
Well yeah, he said that himself in a way, in one of the previous II episodes. That the way he has been living pretty much his whole life, left him no other room, other than being a merchant, so when it comes to other things, he is "slow" and does not really get it. This is why he said to Horo, to be a bit more understanding when it comes to that.
But yeah, i mean, it is pretty much canon, he has romantic feelings for her, i mean, duh.
pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 22:35   Link #72
BashZeStampeedo

Lawrence is a bit different in the novels

Alright, I've read the first volume of the fan-translated light novels now, and Lawrence seems a fair bit tougher and more perceptive than he appears in the anime. He's feels more like a hardened 25-year-old traveling merchant than he does in the anime.

Spoiler:

Cumulatively, the sorts of things I outline in the spoiler make Lawrence's character a touch less sympathetic and likable to me (he's seems more idiotic and shallow than he's supposed to be). Overall, however, I'd say that the anime is doing a respectable job with his character. I wonder how things feel after volume 2
Old 2009-09-28, 15:27   Link #73
Dark Wing

I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed but Lawrence is indeed a ladies man even if he doesn't realize it.

lets list the number of women who've showed some interesting him so fare...

Horo
Chloe
Nora
Nameless Bar-Maid
Abe a.k.a Fruhl von Jieterzentel Boland

The man has pimp written all over him!
Old 2009-09-28, 16:03   Link #74
BashZeStampeedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed but Lawrence is indeed a ladies man even if he doesn't realize it.

lets list the number of women who've showed some interesting him so fare...

Horo
Chloe
Nora
Nameless Bar-Maid
Abe a.k.a Fruhl von Jieterzentel Boland

The man has pimp written all over him!
I agree, although it's partly because (as he found out recently) he has Horo beside him making him more interesting. It's always hilarious when Horo overreacts. His foot must be getting pretty flat..

Also obligatory: Dayum Lawrence, you ice cold! Brushin' off Chloe off like she ain't no thang!

PS: I wonder how long it will be before we see a sweet pimp Lawrence pic? Anyone with some 'shopping skills up for it?
Old 2009-11-11, 12:32   Link #75
Topspin

I've gotta agree with Bash. After two seasons, Lawrence is one of the few male leads in an anime that is able to convince me he's a real dude. He's very flawed, but he grows, learns his lessons, and makes up for his mistakes. A principled guy to the end, and clearly the kind of guy that people want to be friends with. Also, he's a lot more perceptive than people give him credit for.

Despite how people love to dump on Lawrence, I think he's been doing everything correctly so far (in terms of Horo). I've thoroughly enjoyed watching Lawrence figure out whether Horo is really worth all the aggravation. It seems like he took his time to fall in love with her, but quite frankly it's only been a few months since they met.

Horo has almost complete control over him, after all. If she really just wanted sex, she could have it. Heck, if she wanted to leave she could have, but she asked him to be selfish and in the last episode she got rickrolled.
Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 19:07   Link #76
Arashi500
Cthulhu Fhtagn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I know from personal experience some of these twits actually dig Horo.

Protip: If you're going to call me a "furry", it's probably best not to post comments like "I’d put my seeds in her if you know what I mean…." on a well known anime blog using a psudonym you've told me already. One guy in my anime club made that mistake.

Is ANY of this as mind boggling as the half exlained sciences of Docto Who?

It certainly in'tmind bogling as Cthulhu.

And Horo/Holo could be a Celtic Morrigan (one of the many spellings) which was an angelic animal.
Old 2010-12-11, 19:18   Link #77
Ookami-San
Wolf Pack

Lawrence is easily one of my favourite male animé characters.
He's young, but mature. He isn't afraid to admit mistakes when he makes them, and even if he gets himself in an tough spot, he's level headed, and manages to find a way out of it.

This is kind of Offtopic, but if anyone have an spare Lawrence avatar (i'd prefer one where he smiles if possible) can you please be so kind and post it?
Ookami-San is offline   Reply With Quote