AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2009-03-11, 09:56   Link #11661
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCee View Post
Hi guys, I'm new here but thought I'd ask anyhow. Since I've almost finished my MG Gundam Unicorn k.a I've thought about what to do next. I've thought of maybe making a Team of maybe 4-5 gundams and repainted in a black special ops colour scheme. I've thought about what gundams to use. Preferably I'd want to stick to Master Grade one's. But haven't made my mind up which one's to use as part of my project at the moment. I'd prefer not to use over the top flashy one's that would drown out the whole feel to the it if you know what I mean i.e Strike freedom, wing gundam is definately a no no.
The RGM-79 (G) GM comes with a bunch of weapons, I believe, and would be good for the last role you have in mind. For the artillery unit, I like the Guncannon better, and have it lie down on the ground to shoot is different - although the RX-79 (G) gunpla comes with that 180mm cannon, which might make a better diorama or something. If you want to do a communications unit, you might want to scratch-build a radome backpack for it - assuming you got the interest, of course.

For color, matte is better since it's better in darkness, and dark green and dark gray work better than black. Since this is just a collection, matte black is good for show, OTOH. Maybe use some pastels to finish the colorings as well? For dioramas, shops sell these small containers of 3 pastel-like colors for tanks, planes and such for more realism and less like a toy.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-11, 09:59   Link #11662
MrCapcom
Kage Bunshin Noob Jutsu

Send a message via AIM to MrCapcom Send a message via MSN to MrCapcom Send a message via Yahoo to MrCapcom
@Sir Dearka 1st of all lol at Sara Jean Underwood 2ndly is that all stock stuff? I don't remember there being ZAFT on his wings and it looks really nice. Is it painted?
@JayCee I wanted personal pic's I know how to use google but u can't ask questions if I want to know if it was painted or w/e
Old 2009-03-11, 10:08   Link #11663
JayCee
Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dearka View Post
Here are a couple of my pics

Spoiler for photo spam of MG Impulse:
If you don't mind a lil constructive criticism. Some of the panel lines were a bit messy. Might be worth using acrylic paint and a needle if it's hard to reach using fine markers. Also the Big line next to the ZAFT decal on the wing. Is that another decal or marking lines? Looks a bit odd. Apart from that looks good! *thumbs up* I personally hate doing panel lines myself, so many times I have to use paint thinner to clean up marks where eraser's don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCapcom View Post
@JayCee I wanted personal pic's I know how to use google but u can't ask questions if I want to know if it was painted or w/e
Ah I see. I can't help much since I don't own one. But I can answer general questions regarding about building/painting process if you need ^^ lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
The RGM-79 (G) GM comes with a bunch of weapons, I believe, and would be good for the last role you have in mind. For the artillery unit, I like the Guncannon better, and have it lie down on the ground to shoot is different - although the RX-79 (G) gunpla comes with that 180mm cannon, which might make a better diorama or something. If you want to do a communications unit, you might want to scratch-build a radome backpack for it - assuming you got the interest, of course.

For color, matte is better since it's better in darkness, and dark green and dark gray work better than black. Since this is just a collection, matte black is good for show, OTOH. Maybe use some pastels to finish the colorings as well? For dioramas, shops sell these small containers of 3 pastel-like colors for tanks, planes and such for more realism and less like a toy.
I agree. The RGM-79 (G) GM is definately a good one to have in the line up. As for scratch building. Well it seems I'm gonna have to alter or scratch build a lot of stuff for this project anyway. So why not a bit more ? :P

True that dark green and dark grey seems more natural as camo but I'm gonna stick to black. As for pastels I'm assuming you're talking about weathering. I'll have to decide how that's gonna work after finishing painting. But I'm sold on the opinion of it being matt finish.

Last edited by JayCee; 2009-03-11 at 11:04.
JayCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-11, 10:53   Link #11664
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by duotiga View Post
Robot Tamashi 0 Gundam actual color
Beautiful!

Here some pics on MG Strike Impulse Gundam

Old 2009-03-11, 10:57   Link #11665
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

Quote:
@Sir Dearka 1st of all lol at Sara Jean Underwood 2ndly is that all stock stuff? I don't remember there being ZAFT on his wings and it looks really nice. Is it painted?
Sarah Jean Underwood is my personal favorite playmate Oh, and it is all stock stuff, yeah.

@JayCee - thanks for the tips. I am not a perfectionism and I tend to just use anything I have at hand hence my models are not exactly all clean and stuff But I am happy with what they look like. Maybe a bit messy, but at least one can see a touch of "human" hand whilst still not consider it ototally ugly (I hope) :P :]
Old 2009-03-11, 11:03   Link #11666
JayCee
Enigma

Quote:
Sarah Jean Underwood is my personal favorite playmate Oh, and it is all stock stuff, yeah.

@JayCee - thanks for the tips. I am not a perfectionism and I tend to just use anything I have at hand hence my models are not exactly all clean and stuff But I am happy with what they look like. Maybe a bit messy, but at least one can see a touch of "human" hand whilst still not consider it ototally ugly (I hope) :P :]

Definately not ugly. But anyhow I guess at the end of the day as long as you the owner is happy with it. That's what matters

As for that MG Sword Impulse I'm def getting one of those. Have plans to mod that one
Old 2009-03-11, 11:28   Link #11667
MrCapcom
Kage Bunshin Noob Jutsu

Send a message via AIM to MrCapcom Send a message via MSN to MrCapcom Send a message via Yahoo to MrCapcom
MG Sword Impulse looks hot If anything ill get the NG I want Force Impulse first I love the shield doesn't seem like Sword Impulse Shield is the same size

@Sir Dearka I liked ur force impulse looks nice I have yet to panel line my 00 or Astray Red although when I did Astrea Type F I panellined crazy and everything looks nice. I been so busy I haven't had time to take high res pics

Whats top coat usually used for? And what happens if you don't use it?
I know for myself I can agree im not a elitist when it comes to my kits but I heard someone use the term and I just wanted to get the info again I forgot >_<

I think im gonna get RX-78 OYW and 0 Gundam when 0 Gundam Comes out
Old 2009-03-11, 11:32   Link #11668
JayCee
Enigma

Quote:
MG Sword Impulse looks hot If anything ill get the NG I want Force Impulse first I love the shield doesn't seem like Sword Impulse Shield is the same size

@Sir Dearka I liked ur force impulse looks nice I have yet to panel line my 00 or Astray Red although when I did Astrea Type F I panellined crazy and everything looks nice. I been so busy I haven't had time to take high res pics

I know for myself I can agree im not a elitist when it comes to my kits but I heard someone use the term and I just wanted to get the info again I forgot >_<

I think im gonna get RX-78 OYW and 0 Gundam when 0 Gundam Comes out
Top coat is mainly used for protecting your paint. It lays a thin clear layer on top of your model. It also comes in 3 different finishes depending on ur preference. Matt, Semi gloss and Full gloss. Personally I prefer Matt. Also If you have minor scratches that's not too deep it can cover it up too or at least make it less visible. For those who don't like to paint it makes ur kit give a better less plasticky finish. So to answer ur question. Nothing happens if you don't use it. Just most people do prefer to use it to give a better finish.

Hope that helps
Old 2009-03-11, 11:44   Link #11669
MrCapcom
Kage Bunshin Noob Jutsu

cool thanks I didnt use top coat at all on my painted ones but I was thinking of trying it when I do my Mg Destiny. I brought some Chrome Silver Tamiya paint to paint the joints so I can make it look like the EBM version lol
Old 2009-03-11, 11:54   Link #11670
JayCee
Enigma

Quote:
cool thanks I didnt use top coat at all on my painted ones but I was thinking of trying it when I do my Mg Destiny. I brought some Chrome Silver Tamiya paint to paint the joints so I can make it look like the EBM version lol
Try it! You'll notice a difference for the better. I think for me the added bonus is that it protects your decals because the top coat layer is on top of it so won't have to worry about it flaking off or what not when handled for posing. But make sure you run like hell and do it outside if you are using topcoat. The spray stinks like hell. I usually have a mask on for spraying and even then I have to run away cos it gives me a down right headache if I just stay there.
Old 2009-03-11, 12:33   Link #11671
MrCapcom
Kage Bunshin Noob Jutsu

Yea I sprayed my 00 and Red Astray I know the smells. I haven't done decals yet not to sure how to apply them and this Destiny is my first MG so hopefully I can figure out where to go any links? I posted some awhile back but just in case there is anything new hit me up.
Old 2009-03-11, 15:50   Link #11672
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un1ver5e View Post
Hmm, I guess it differs from model to model. My Trans Am RD 00 has very loose joints while my normal coloured RD 00 has relatively stiff joints. Try sanding out the ball joint a little perhaps?
I'm goin for the super glue trick on mine. I've done it in the past on other figures. Should work here.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-11, 16:12   Link #11673
vektar

Send a message via AIM to vektar
Quote:
Just ordered the Guncannon in both MG and BB version. It's strange I did not do it before, seeing how Kai Shigen and his machine are fulfilling the respectable role of well-developed support character plus powerful unit. Long range attack-type pilot being one of the few people in the cast who survived till the end of the series? Kinda reminds me of Wedge which also happen to be my favorite Star Wars character. And Dearka, of course

Also, thinking of getting the EF Action Base.

---

I have a question... anybody having an UC Zaku ver. 2? Thinking about the Trinity version. Is it worth the price?
im building the 2.0 Zaku F i like the little thrusters, and so far i have the upper body done and its one of the most advancd MG kits ive built, so many little parts and from the pics it can move in a lot of ways that other models cant id say go for it well worth it.
Old 2009-03-11, 18:47   Link #11674
M_Flores
Count of Monte Dorifto

Send a message via MSN to M_Flores
Hey silly question, but would you guys consider panel-lining Trans-Am Gundams?
M_Flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-11, 19:03   Link #11675
Un1ver5e

Send a message via MSN to Un1ver5e
Quote:

The shield's probably the same size. It's just that in the FI pictures, the shield expands while they did not show the expansion the the SI pictures.

To add on JayCee's comments on the topcoat:

Matt - Most modellers prefer using matt on their Gunpla. A matt finish removes the shiny plastic sheen on the models which makes them look artificial instead.

Semi gloss - I'm not really a fan of semi-gloss. IMO, the effect it gives is almost the same as the models untouched, with that dumb plastic sheen.

Full gloss - Full gloss is normally used by modellers who want to give their work a metallic finish.

Hope that helps. =)
Un1ver5e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-11, 19:18   Link #11676
Un1ver5e

Not sure if this has been posted before, but I would like to share something I posted on DC.com some time back.

Old 2009-03-11, 19:26   Link #11677
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Man, that O Gundam is REALLY tempting....but knowing that it'll go down so bad in the show hinders my buy.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-11, 19:41   Link #11678
Un1ver5e

Quote:
Yea I sprayed my 00 and Red Astray I know the smells. I haven't done decals yet not to sure how to apply them and this Destiny is my first MG so hopefully I can figure out where to go any links? I posted some awhile back but just in case there is anything new hit me up.
Here are some nice tutorials:
http://www.dannychoo.com/adp/eng/213/Gundam+Modeling+Tutorial.html

http://perfectdesignsense.com/martin...wto/howto.html
Old 2009-03-11, 19:44   Link #11679
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vektar View Post
im building the 2.0 Zaku F i like the little thrusters, and so far i have the upper body done and its one of the most advancd MG kits ive built, so many little parts and from the pics it can move in a lot of ways that other models cant id say go for it well worth it.
Oh, I see. I have to say I am tempted to buy the Black TriStar Zaku, but I think I shall hold it for now until I get my Guncannon.

Quote:
Thanks. It's somehow nice to see others admiring one's collection. Makes one feel like he is playing his part in the secret society of Gundam decently Do show your Astrea Type F. Just like I said, I can't help but loving it and its crazy-a$$ pilot Fon Spaak :]

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZERO View Post
Here some pics on MG Strike Impulse Gundam
Spoiler for pics:
Beauty, beauty, beauty! I'll definitely grab it. Now to buy some ships that are similar to those destroyed during the ORB clash in GSD :]
Old 2009-03-11, 22:19   Link #11680
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

HG 1/144 Ahead Smultron images:

Spoiler for size:

Seems like the Smultron will finally have clear beam saber parts for the Ahead series that are not katanas

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gundam, gunpla, model kit, toy