AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chrno Crusade

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-06-11, 16:44   Link #1
Maes Hughes
~Nyan Nyan~

Send a message via MSN to Maes Hughes
Anime isn't bad...

I've heard so many people crying about how poor the anime version of Chrno Crusade is, but I can't honestly see how they can say this. I haven't read the manga, I don't read manga. I can't say if the manga is better than the anime. What I can say is that an anime that holds the same name as it's manga counterpart doesn't have to be the same as the manga. Viewed as an anime, without the manga, I'm sure more peoole would be saying how great the anime is. That's why most who haven't read the manga think highly of the anime. I'm not saying the anime is better than the manga, or vise versa. What I am saying is that people who think the manga is better than the anime are blinded to how good the anime is. It an anime fans anime =P.

Really, the only bad-points of the anime would be the fights, which are few and far between and quite poor, and that the anime did seem a little rushed after episode 18.
Old 2004-06-11, 16:49   Link #2
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maes Hughes
What I am saying is that people who think the manga is better than the anime are blinded to how good the anime is. It an anime fans anime =P.
Is it not human nature to compare two similar things and praise the one that is superior? If I see a BMW with a dent here and a scratch here and another one that is brand new, which one would I say is better?

If the anime were better than the manga, I will say it. Others who feel the same way will, too. But judging from the overwhelming negative comments...I think not.
Old 2004-06-11, 17:00   Link #3
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

well, the production quality is surely not bad, the animation, special effects, music and VA are all quite good. but I guess the inconsistent plot is why many people get disappointed about it.
Old 2004-06-11, 17:10   Link #4
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

I personally agree with you, Maes Hughes, to a certain extent.

I really love the anime and ranges from decent to good, in my opinion.

However, what you have to realize is to take into account the feelings and frustration of the fans (which are a great majority) who were and always be devotees to the manga.

For them it was the manga that introduced them to the world of Chrno Crusade.
The manga that with its elegant visual art-style and crafty storytelling narration, although not conventional, embellished them to fascination.

Indeed, those manga readers fans were eagerly anticipating an anime adaptation for CC, but their dreams were deeply crushed with how the final product was outcomed.
They couldn't bear how the characters were severely degraded either into no hoppers, clichéous fan-service girls, polarized-stage villains, or just useless conversational supporter characters.

Speaking for myself, I don't think the characters are either bad or poor comparing them to their manga counterparts, except for a few minor exceptions.

I think that the flaw within anime it's not the direction that the plot took astray from the manga, but the way how the characters were developed, handled, managed, and designed: from the point of view of an avid and devoted CC manga reader.

I came in contact first with anime, and shortly later with the manga. But, I still support both format because they hold on their own.

Also you should take into account that there are fans who, although were not exposed to the manga first, were exposed to the anime first and still dislike it.
Old 2004-06-11, 17:42   Link #5
Maes Hughes
~Nyan Nyan~

Send a message via MSN to Maes Hughes
Quote:
Is it not human nature to compare two similar things and praise the one that is superior? If I see a BMW with a dent here and a scratch here and another one that is brand new, which one would I say is better?

If the anime were better than the manga, I will say it. Others who feel the same way will, too. But judging from the overwhelming negative comments...I think not.
The problem is, you can't really compare the manga and anime. It's like putting a book against a movie. You can enjoy the story of a book more than a movies, everything is put into the story and characters. But in movies, special effects and all are just as important. If there were another anime with the same story as the manga that was forced into 24 episodes against the Chrno Crusade anime we have, that'd be fair. See what I'm saying?

I probably wouldn't like the manga if I read it. The story would be different, and I'd think it was poor after hearing a different version of the story I like already. That's how others feel if they've read the manga first. I'm not saying everyone is the same and prefers what they see first, but I'd say most
think that way.

I've seen truly animes with truly poor quality, this just isn't one of them. Not everyone has to like it, but there's no-way you can say this is poor. That's what I'm saying.
Old 2004-06-14, 12:51   Link #6
Colonel-

Send a message via AIM to Colonel-
How would you guys react if the LoTR movie is an episode of Power Rangers?
Old 2004-06-14, 13:49   Link #7
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

I've never read the manga... but judging from the amount of fans of it... I'm pretty sure it has to be a bit better than the anime... the art and fanservice are fine... it's the poor story and *excessive* filler in the anime that hurts... imo... the christmas episode (one of many weak eps) was one of the worst episodes in all anime...
Old 2004-06-16, 03:30   Link #8
anime_luver

Send a message via MSN to anime_luver
i agree that manga and anime incomparable. they are two different things. but since the anime is based on the manga, that is why so many people compare it. of course i wouldn't say that one is better than the other, because after all the anime isn't the exact same thing. it is an adaptation of the manga. like some movies are adaptations of books (i.e. harry potter series, LoTR trilogy, the hours, ella enchanted, etc.). you can't say that the book was better or the movie was better, books are more description than action. they let your imagination do the work, same with manga. it lets your mind fill in the blanks and the colours. anime is everything put into action according to the directors, or w/e's minds'.
Old 2004-06-16, 12:47   Link #9
animedudematt

Ive only watched up to episode 4 of chrno crusade, and im loving it so far im not sure if the later eps go down hill or what not, not I also havent read the manga *dont know where to get it from* but the anime has impressed me so far.
Old 2004-06-16, 14:50   Link #10
Kaka
罪人クロノ

it started to go downhill after 18 ^_^
Old 2004-06-16, 15:26   Link #11
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime_luver
i agree that manga and anime incomparable. they are two different things. but since the anime is based on the manga, that is why so many people compare it. of course i wouldn't say that one is better than the other, because after all the anime isn't the exact same thing. it is an adaptation of the manga. like some movies are adaptations of books (i.e. harry potter series, LoTR trilogy, the hours, ella enchanted, etc.). you can't say that the book was better or the movie was better, books are more description than action. they let your imagination do the work, same with manga. it lets your mind fill in the blanks and the colours. anime is everything put into action according to the directors, or w/e's minds'.
Story and characterizations are not "incomparable." It's that simple, and unless you've seen the anime and read the manga, don't draw out these generalizations for Chrno Crusade.
Old 2004-06-16, 16:01   Link #12
144M_HYPERION
Miracle Yang !!

Why can't ppl treat Manga/Novel and Anime into 2 different things??? I believe Gonzo did a good job in the anime. (I read the manga as well) Although I must say the manga gives more detail to most part of the story. (Also some of the plot that is missing or completely different from the anime)
Old 2004-06-16, 17:14   Link #13
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

I also love the anime, specially concerning to how the characters were handled and how did the story flowed.

Chrno and Rosette's dead was visually embellishing and heartwrenching to me.

Unfortunately, more than half of the fan community very much were displeased with the characters' personalities, the direction the plot lead astray from the manga, the insert of 'unecessary?' episode fillers, and the portrayal of 'healthy' fanservice.

If the manga readers are that pissed off by the anime adaptation from the CC manga, they should complain or ban both the directors and the writers for failing to do their homework, instead of constantly attacking the anime due that it wasn't capable to fill the shoes of the manga.

Itself, the anime is funny and possess explosive action to watch over and over.
Old 2004-06-16, 17:22   Link #14
anime_luver

Send a message via MSN to anime_luver
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcasteak
Story and characterizations are not "incomparable." It's that simple, and unless you've seen the anime and read the manga, don't draw out these generalizations for Chrno Crusade.
im not sure what you mean, but i will just say that that im just voicing my opinion on how people compare anime and manga. im not saying that these things that i spoke of have to necessarily apply to CC.

no i haven't read the manga, but i read other manga. i just stated a possibility for why the anime is so different from the manga. it can, but doesn't have to apply to CC.

can you explain what your first sentence meant? i don't quite get it .
Old 2004-06-16, 19:52   Link #15
shadowspirit
Renaissance Blue

Send a message via AIM to shadowspirit Send a message via MSN to shadowspirit Send a message via Yahoo to shadowspirit
I didn't even know there was a manga for Chrno Crusade (has it been released in the U.S. or is it just available via fan-translations on the internet?), so I can't really compare the two, but for my piece, I enjoyed the anime quite a bit. It certainly ended differently than I expected, but the fact that I liked the anime is what matters.

In other words, different people have different opinions on different things. It's one of the things that makes us, well, different. =P If you like one or the other, that's great. If you like one over the other, that's great too. What isn't great is if you go running around forcing your opinions onto people. That's just not nice. *is being mild*

That being said... does anyone know where I could find the manga? Considering that it appears the majority prefers it to the anime, I'm definitely interested...
Old 2004-06-16, 21:14   Link #16
Altimit

I hadn't read the manga when I watched the anime and I wouldn't say the anime was too great. It had some good parts to it. I remember the episode where they rescued Azmaria was pretty cool but it really started to go down hill. Once the 2 second deaths started happening it was obvious somthing was wrong. I'd have to say overall this was a pretty good series, GONZO really blew it near the end though. So typical of them.

Quote:
I didn't even know there was a manga for Chrno Crusade (has it been released in the U.S. or is it just available via fan-translations on the internet?)
I just bought volume one of the manga today pretty good so far.
Old 2004-06-17, 04:56   Link #17
Yuun
~Trying to Enjoy Life~

Send a message via MSN to Yuun
Quote:
Originally Posted by 144M_HYPERION
Why can't ppl treat Manga/Novel and Anime into 2 different things??? I believe Gonzo did a good job in the anime. (I read the manga as well) Although I must say the manga gives more detail to most part of the story. (Also some of the plot that is missing or completely different from the anime)
Uhm...does anyone knows about the term "A picture worth a thousand words"?>
And yes i agree with 144M_HYPERION i mean we shouldn't compare the anime with the manga. As i have mention earlier about the term, a picture worth a thousand words.

For example the word "I love you" is so simple and is only 8 character. In novel just write "i love you" and the reader will get the idea. but in manga how would you express the word "I love you"? maybe you'll see chrno hugging Rosetta in a black and white picture of manga while saying that word but just imagine how much trouble will it take to see a 5 seconds length of action in this "I love you" scene. for those who doesn't know how does an anime being produce please do look for its info....

So now you all got the idea just imagine how many episodes would it be if the anime is completely done the same with the manga??? There'll always be a different between and anime an its orginal manga. Don't you think so?
Old 2004-06-19, 03:49   Link #18
phoenixfire92983

Send a message via ICQ to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via AIM to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via MSN to phoenixfire92983
I have to agree that it is pretty hard to get a anime to fully represent its manga. I usually enjoy animes that differ from their manga counterparts because you get new plot twists and surprises. However, I have to agree that Gonzo did a miserable job with Chrno Crusade.

Their biggest mistake was the lack of character development. There was what, only like maybe two episodes really devoted to Rosettes background? I'm sorry, but it wasn't enough. Compare it to Full Metal Alchemist. FMA has gone into full blown detail about Ed, Al, and Winry. It has given info about their past, shows relationship issues/emotional issues, etc....Scene like where Ed kills Greed just blow you away. You feel like you actually know these characters and can understand what they are going through. I don't feel that with CC's characters...they lack development.

Second biggest mistake were the filler episodes like the X-mas one. That X-mas ep. was just kinda pointless, and you don't really get much out of it. And those filler episodes just deleted time that could have been used to stregthen the plot or character development.

There were others, but those are the main ones. I think that stuff just really hurt Chrno Crusade...especially the ending. The ending was great with Rosette and Chrno, but the rest was like ok......Just look at the other thread about ep. 24. People still can't figure out why Aion is shown, is he a god/devil, and the purpose behind the text about the assasination attempt. If there had been less filler, and more plot development, then it may have been clearer what they were alluding to.
Old 2004-06-19, 17:36   Link #19
Jeffrey Ruebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chronics
I've never read the manga... but judging from the amount of fans of it... I'm pretty sure it has to be a bit better than the anime... the art and fanservice are fine... it's the poor story and *excessive* filler in the anime that hurts... imo... the christmas episode (one of many weak eps) was one of the worst episodes in all anime...
I have heard alot of different reasons why I people thanks the anime sucks but I have seen the anime and read some of the manga not finished yet. I think the anime is great in its own perspective. If some one is going to say that the anime sucks it isn't because of excessive fillers. Because with out fillers the anime would only be a short anime and I would perfer to see Rosettes for 24 episodes in stead of 12. Plus the manga has alot of none essential parts in it so it gos both waies.
Closed Thread