AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-06-18, 12:56   Link #21
Mugen
Tha slick

Send a message via MSN to Mugen
The only things i liked about battle royal were its concept, its daringness and beat takeshi. I thought the rest of the film was a kinda cheesy and tacky. The 2nd one seemed to start off good, but then went - however i liked the bit where the guy jumped and grabbed the american football, if you have seen it you will understand . No its not worth paying like 20 quid for verus carpe . The fights are slick but the rest is a bit week. I have wild zero and the returner, yet i have not watched them.
Mugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-18, 16:35   Link #22
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
I'm afriad that the closest I know to a good Japanese comedic movie is Wild Zero. Actually that is a Rock 'n Roll Zombie movie, but it really is funny at times. It's pretty awesome if you want something totally off the wall. It is full of bloody action, comedy and a very strange love story. Warning: It is extremely strange. Cool though.
Awesome movie, a little wobbly as far as pacing but no complaints about music, cast, story, etc.

I think the one I like best is Tampopo, which is more or less a comedy as well. I think the truck driver is sort of a parodic figure from old truck driver movies. The "industrial espionage" scenes are hilarious. I can really identify with the main "idea," which is the perfect bowl of ramen...
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-18, 19:07   Link #23
GreenTze

Send a message via AIM to GreenTze
Quote:
Originally Posted by h3lldiver
Ju on is fun ... hehehe
cashern looks cool
I would definitley agree with you o that. I couldn't sleep for weeks after watching that film.

Hmmm... Futoh(sp?) is not really the best, but it is worth the watch. All i have to say bout that movie is "vagina darts". Oddest movie ever.
GreenTze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-18, 19:22   Link #24
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTze
I would definitley agree with you o that. I couldn't sleep for weeks after watching that film.

Hmmm... Futoh(sp?) is not really the best, but it is worth the watch. All i have to say bout that movie is "vagina darts". Oddest movie ever.
Except she had a penis if I remember correctly. Which just makes things even weirder.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-19, 01:05   Link #25
StoneColdCrazy
Noumenon

Send a message via ICQ to StoneColdCrazy Send a message via MSN to StoneColdCrazy
Apart from all the obvious Kurosawa recommendations (Ran particularly), Kumonosu jô ('Throne of Blood') is a good-un, Zatôichi is a very recent film that has quite a few people I know raving about it and Takashi Miike's films are often popular. Personally, I'm not a fan of his, but I thought Ôdishon ('Audition') was okay, as was the bizarre Katakuri-ke no kôfuku ('The Happiness of the Katakuris'). A lot of people like Miike's work, he's a very stylistic and individual director.

Also, thanks for the Kaidan reference, NoSanninWa.

SCC
StoneColdCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-19, 03:00   Link #26
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke0
You guys should check out some Korean films as well

2009: Lost Memories
Shiri
Chingoo

I hated Versus, I'm sorry but everything looked......fake and horrible, the action wasn't exciting to me. Hated Battle Royale 2 as well
uhh
shiri was crap, sorry to say
predictable story, stupid gunfights
textbook ending

i wanted to love this movie too, from everything i heard about it, but i couldnt bring myself to it
MwyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-19, 03:03   Link #27
StoneColdCrazy
Noumenon

Send a message via ICQ to StoneColdCrazy Send a message via MSN to StoneColdCrazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke0
Incidentally, Sympathy for Mr Vengeance is one of my favourite films ever.

SCC
StoneColdCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-19, 06:21   Link #28
DarcLion XVI
Shadow Stream

Send a message via ICQ to DarcLion XVI Send a message via AIM to DarcLion XVI Send a message via MSN to DarcLion XVI Send a message via Yahoo to DarcLion XVI
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneColdCrazy
Zatôichi is a very recent film that has quite a few people I know raving about it and Takashi Miike's films are often popular.
Actually, there have been lots of Zatoichi remakes out there. Mostly the classics, I've seen one of 'em on the Independent Film Channel (IFC). I always wanted to see the Beat Takeshi version.

So far the best Beat Takeshi movie I've ever seen was Aniki (Brother). I've seen Koroshiya Ichi (Ichi The Killer) live action, but I haven't seen the anime version yet. Battle Royale I and II I've seen 'em, and I say you gotta' have lots of tolerance to see those movies.

I'm looking forward to see the original Japanese version of Casshern (w/c is based on the 1970's version of the anime series Robot Hunter Casshan) to be released on US DVD's. Damn, Hollywood's planning to make US versions of Casshern and The Jyuon from what I've read on AnimeNewsNetwork a long time ago.
DarcLion XVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-19, 10:39   Link #29
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
(1996) - "Shall We Dance?" by Suo Masayuki
Like they did with "Ringu" (The Ring) and "Juon" (The Grudge), Hollywood is actually remaking "Shall We Dance?" with Richard Gere, Susan Sarandon, and Jennifer Lopez. So if you want to be xenophobic like the rest of America you could check out the Hollywood version.

I'm no expert on Japanese film, so I'll just recommend Midnight Eye. Its a good Japanese cinema site to use as a reference.

Last edited by jennwenn; 2004-06-20 at 01:10.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-19, 11:13   Link #30
Lioness
Hi no Subs rox

I just watched Azumi for the 3rd time, it is by the same director as Versus and I really like it, for some reason.

The theatrics are awesome.
Lioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-19, 12:14   Link #31
Mugen
Tha slick

I meant to download juon a while ago - it looked freaky .StoneColdCrazy, i thought throne of blood was cool as well, i really liked the ending with the arrows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomi
I just watched Azumi for the 3rd time, it is by the same director as Versus and I really like it, for some reason.

The theatrics are awesome.
I found azumi slightly disaponting. I thought the characters and costume etc. were awesome. The bad guy in white and his acomplice especially. I felt a bit let down by some of the fights, and it all seemed a bit manafactured and fake. I prefer the movies where the samurais actually look like they are living in the period and are a bit rough around the edges ......thats just my personal opinion.
Anyone seen Twilight of the samurai yet? I meant to see it in London a month or 2 ago, but i missed the chance, now i have to wait ages till it comes out in nottingham . I ordered a movie called Harakiri as well, which gets rave reviews as one of the best Japanese movies, still not arrived yet . Anyone seen it?
Old 2004-06-20, 08:19   Link #32
Iron Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke0
My Sassy Girl, one of my all time favorite movies.
Iron Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-20, 16:23   Link #33
CerealKiller
MoralMan

Send a message via AIM to CerealKiller Send a message via MSN to CerealKiller Send a message via Yahoo to CerealKiller
Didn't see much japanese live action movies yet (just saw GTO live action movie, liked it, but liked the live action series better, can't say anything of the anime of it yet, because there's not much out here yet) I'm planning to see some more, so recommend me some
CerealKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-20, 17:22   Link #34
Carpe Jugulum
Kessen Satsu

Send a message via AIM to Carpe Jugulum Send a message via MSN to Carpe Jugulum

i just rented this ninja movie from blockbusters it was an 18 and had an alright cover, it was called crimson ninja, it was a recent movie and i have to say with the storyline it had it could have been a good movie. i dont know what the director was thinking but he managed to butcher the story.

the soundtrack was soooo bad well the music was ok but i mean it didnt go with the movie at all i personally think i could have done better

if you see this movie avoid it like the plague
Carpe Jugulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-20, 23:15   Link #35
ShinDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Jugulum

i just rented this ninja movie from blockbusters it was an 18 and had an alright cover, it was called crimson ninja, it was a recent movie and i have to say with the storyline it had it could have been a good movie. i dont know what the director was thinking but he managed to butcher the story.

the soundtrack was soooo bad well the music was ok but i mean it didnt go with the movie at all i personally think i could have done better

if you see this movie avoid it like the plague
Wondering if you're talking about this movie?
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...976019-2177829
ShinDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 12:18   Link #36
Deacon_Frost
Necr0 Kvlt

Kurosawa's Rashomon and Ikiru.
Deacon_Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 19:41   Link #37
Mugen
Tha slick

is that red shadow/crimson ninja anything to do with akage/or red lion does anyone know?
Old 2004-06-25, 04:36   Link #38
CNF666

Well as far as the best, there are to many to count but I will just mention the ones I liked nonetheless... Yojimbo, Dead or Alive, Visitor Q (everyone must see this film. Miike's best IMHO), Samurai Fiction, Versus, Visitor Q, Pistol Opera and Manji if your looking for something a little avante-garde, Tetsuo the Iron Man (fun for the whole family!), Zaitochi versus Yojimbo, just about any Zaitochi movie. There a ton of other movies, mostly samurai movies, but i can't think of their names, otherwise I would've mentioned them...oh well. Has anyone seen Twilight Samurai? If so how was it? I am waiting for the movie theater down here to get, but until then some feedback would be nice.

Offtopic: Cereal Kiler, if you haven't already, check out the GTO manga. It's alot cruder and funnier than the anime, not to mention fleshed out more.
CNF666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 06:11   Link #39
Sid_Burn
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sid_Burn Send a message via AIM to Sid_Burn Send a message via Yahoo to Sid_Burn
I find that all Japanese films excel on horror/thriller genre... especially the movie called "the ring"... the first horror film that scared me alot...
Sid_Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 17:32   Link #40
anime_luver

Send a message via MSN to anime_luver
Throne of Blood, 1957 from Akira Kurosawa of course. He is a genius.

Any recent Japanese movies that have been good?
anime_luver is offline   Reply With Quote