Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-06-28, 03:47   Link #601
jwai

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
It's not terrible.
Spoiler for How to get the toys:
I got her shortly after starting my second playthrough.
To get the medal for completing a mission with A ranking, does it have to be a storyline mission, or will a skirmish do?

Not sure if I've gotten a medal for knocking off an Ace yet.
jwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-28, 04:23   Link #602
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwai View Post
To get the medal for completing a mission with A ranking, does it have to be a storyline mission, or will a skirmish do?

It has to be a mission after you've...
Spoiler for :

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-28, 10:18   Link #603
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwai View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
It has to be a mission after you've...
Spoiler for :
I noted that it had to be 10 or later, fallschirmjager.

Yes, jwai, it has to be a storyline mission. If you don't know about the Ace thing, check your Decorations tab. "The Lance of Gallia" will be there if you've earned it. All the ones you have will have an explanation of what it's given for.

While 10 is an awful place to get an A without an Alicia rush, 11 and 13 are relatively easy A's, so you should earn it decently quickly. If nothing else, you can easily get it on your New Game Plus.

I'm gonna go continue completing my collection. That, and see if I can't confirm what Alicia's last Potential does.

Edit: It's a little more powerful than I thought. All stats are boosted. Stupidly high.

Last edited by spawnofthejudge; 2009-06-28 at 10:54.
spawnofthejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-29, 08:59   Link #604
jwai

Just finished chapter 13 with an A ranking (and got the medal for completing a mission without casualties), and got treated to awesomeness in the next chapter.

On the other hand, I got quite irritated with playing (and reloading) the Marberry Shore skirmish this evening because I kept making careless mistakes like forgetting to drop smoke before rushing people through. Very messy.
Old 2009-06-29, 09:11   Link #605
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Most of my careless mistakes involve landmines. Including ones I know are there, ones with multiple characters standing around them that I had already avoided them with, that I still somehow manage to step on on the very last turn. All it takes is one brain lapse and boom.

I was half expecting Alicia's final potential to be something along the lines of "Mine Magnet" since I managed to make her step on one in at least 90% of the levels where they were present. Her scream and the way she flies through the air are burned into my brain now.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-29, 10:03   Link #606
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
Most of my careless mistakes involve landmines. Including ones I know are there, ones with multiple characters standing around them that I had already avoided them with, that I still somehow manage to step on on the very last turn. All it takes is one brain lapse and boom.

I was half expecting Alicia's final potential to be something along the lines of "Mine Magnet" since I managed to make her step on one in at least 90% of the levels where they were present. Her scream and the way she flies through the air are burned into my brain now.
If they are strong/healthy enough, characters can use the mine to do an "rocket explosive-assisted jump" and move farther than they would normally.
Willen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-29, 13:32   Link #607
Barbobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post

lol. I feel like I always hit mines. I just run my character ahead without even thinking about the mines until I'm sent flying. Though if i'm controlling a lancer at the time I don't even car. I even use mines to help lancers cover more ground since it does minimal damage while launching me forward slightly with no AP cost.
Barbobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-29, 15:12   Link #608
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Finally beat the game (first playthrough).

It's the first PS3 RPG I've finished and the first RPG in ages that I played it through without major delays or distractions. And to keep me interested like that means that it's also the best game I played in ages.

I now also understand everybody's reaction to Cordelia's hair color in the anime...

Anyway... while finished, I'm not "done" with VC yet... still got the DLC to do.

Last edited by GHDpro; 2009-06-29 at 22:48. Reason: various grammar mistakes
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-29, 16:11   Link #609
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
Finally beat the game (first playthrough).

It's the first PS3 RPG I've finished and the first in ages that I played it through without major delays or distractions. And to keep my interested like that means it's also the best game I played in ages.

I know also understand everybody's reaction to Cordelia's hair color in the anime...

Anyway... while finished, I'm not "done" with VC yet... still got the DLC to do.
The sign for me that it's one of the best is that I want to 'complete' it in addition to 'beat' it; I want all the medals.
Old 2009-06-29, 17:35   Link #610
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
I know also understand everybody's reaction to Cordelia's hair color in the anime...
Know what I mean, know what I mean? *nudge*nudge*

Spoiler for Cordellia's hair:

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-30, 03:45   Link #611
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
The sign for me that it's one of the best is that I want to 'complete' it in addition to 'beat' it; I want all the medals.
It's how much i enjoy the experience of playing the game, and how much i always want to go back to that, that i know it's one of my favorite games in a long time. What with replying the game a number of times, doing skirmishes on harder difficulties and so on.
Old 2009-06-30, 09:24   Link #612
jwai

Has anyone noticed cases of typos and bits where the dialogue is out of sync (especially with the Japanese dialogue)? I've noticed a few now, and was wondering if anyone had observed the same.
Old 2009-06-30, 10:09   Link #613
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
It's how much i enjoy the experience of playing the game, and how much i always want to go back to that, that i know it's one of my favorite games in a long time. What with replying the game a number of times, doing skirmishes on harder difficulties and so on.
As much as I loved the game, my only real problem with playing the game again is the fact that you are no longer going into the missions blind. You have strategies, you know what works and what doesn't, etc. Sure, you can try to mix it up by finding different ways to beat the level, but that experience (and rage) you felt when you first did each mission blind, and building up strategies to a whim to complete one precise solution was one of the reasons why I loved this game. That said, I'm saying even if Idid replay it again, it definetely wouldn't feel the same. Maybe two years from now or so, I'll have the desire to play again.

Then again I don't replay games much in general. Booo.
Old 2009-06-30, 10:34   Link #614
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I 've only played through in English so far so that's all I can speak for (I actually hate dubs generally but I left the English on for gameplay purposes in case there was any important dialog not subbed). I saw a few instances where the subtitles in cutscenes were slightly off from what the character actually said. (This would make more sense if these subtitles were just the direct translation from the Japanese but for the most part they seemed to mirror the English dialog, so I don't think this is the case). Also a couple lines seemed pretty out of place for the animation accompanying them. For example Edy's crouching kill animation makes her look relieved, but she still says the same "that's what you get!" line in a mocking tone that she says for her normal animation. Is this just a side effect of crappy dubbing or does she say the same line in Japanese too?

As far as typos though, those always jump right off the page/screen at me but I don't really remember any here. Recently both Star Ocean 4 and Fallout 3 had a lot, but I think I saw one at most in this game.

Minor stuff though, this is easily the best RPG I have played in the last 2 years.
Old 2009-06-30, 12:03   Link #615
JagdPanther

I play it in Japanese even though I don't understand it. I've come to know that official subs (as opposed to fansubs) are traditionally quite "off" but I'd like to think that having watched anime almost solely in Japanese for the last 8-9 years that I've come to have an understanding on Japanese tone, inflection, and some phrases so that when I listen to something, say dialogue in the game, I use the subtitle to give me an idea of the topic and I can judge based on tone, some words, etc. what is *really* being said.

Like I'll use the subtitle to tell me that they're talking about the Edelweiss' armor but I'll know that based on how Isara is talking she's actually saying something a little different than what the subtitle says she is.

I don't know if that makes any sense.

Old 2009-06-30, 13:19   Link #616
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I'm fairly sure I get what you mean. I don't think I'm anywhere close to your level if you've been at it for 9 years but I'm starting to do the same thing with a lot of the "official sub" DVDs I own. Some of the translations just seem slightly off based on the way the characters are talking or acting. That said though, I left this game on English for the things like individual unit speech during a level that I knew wouldn't be subbed. I don't know enough of the language yet to pick out actual words instead of just emotion from those.
Old 2009-06-30, 14:29   Link #617
JagdPanther

I wonder if the translations in the levels such as when a character kills an enemy are correct. It's weird.

Like I use Freesia ALL the time and her animation does not seem to "gel" with what she apparently says.

Old 2009-06-30, 15:31   Link #618
kalbron

Personally I felt that the Japanese VA for Welkin was horrible after I'd listened to the English one for long enough. It just didn't seem to fit with the character's age imo.
kalbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-30, 20:13   Link #619
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Chiba Susumu is pushing 40, and not everyone is like Furuya Tohru.
Old 2009-07-01, 00:49   Link #620
kalbron

Well it was more that he sounded like your average 16 year old JRPG protagonist to my ears. Except with a clearly male VA instead of the female ones they tend to use.
kalbron is offline   Reply With Quote