AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-04, 05:50   Link #121
Zippicus

The first episode was pretty enjoyable. I'm definitely looking forward to ep 2. It's too early to say but it looks like this might be the "yuri done right" series that I've been waiting for.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-04, 15:47   Link #122
sa547
*Author

The bad: Quoting CR -- It’s only available in the United States, Canada, Great Britain, New Zealand, American Somoa, United States Minor Outlying Islands, Puerto Rico, Guam, & Virgin Islands.

The good: there's more than one way to skin a cat, and given the huge first-episode praise, I'll try to watch it.
Old 2009-07-04, 19:20   Link #123
einhorn303

Really loving the first episode. It has such a gentle, nostalgic feeling. The direction rather reminds me of Koi Kaze's style, but with a higher budget.

I wonder about the nun at Achan's school. Is it really a Catholic school? I always figured that the sorts of schools in Marimite, etc were Christian in name and style only, and had no actual trace of theological teaching or religion. It would add more possible dramatic material if it was, at least.

I think it's interesting how it plays with a lot of classical moe dynamics...the border between Fumi's cool appearance but shy interior, childhood friends, etc...but because it presents it in a far more "classy" non-pandering manner, the sort of people who would usually disparage moe shows won't likely disparage this. Like, there are two shows this season which feature little girls randomly peeing themselves, but one will be popular on ANN and the other one won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormchasar View Post
So, who's fansubbing this dealie?
CrunchyRoll is airing a legal simulcast of the show (http://www.crunchyroll.com/library/Aoihana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Some groups are apparently going ahead with fansubbing this so I guess CR isn't planning on asking them to stop.
Or are, and the groups are ignoring them.

When Strike Witches was airing, BOST TV contacted a number of "fansub" groups releasing pirated versions of the show and asked them to stop, yet they still continued to.

Last edited by einhorn303; 2009-07-04 at 19:32.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 06:42   Link #124
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Just watched episode 1, and let me just say that this is one of Kasai's best (though Honey and Clover's first episode reigns just a tad more for me). Love the music here, the OP sequence especially, though it is a bit disappointing to see nothing more but manga covers in the ED. My only complaint so far is Akira's voice, I can see a certain squeakiness to her voice but not that high-pitched; it's very unnatural so to speak. Everything else I'm enjoying immensely, from the color palletes (which gives off a nostalgic feel to the show), the way the show gives more thought on the character's body language, and to the subdued tone of the whole thing. This may be the first yuri anime (manga are a different thing entirely) I've ever enjoyed, and yes, I am one of those yuri-lovers who doesn't worship the daylights out of Marimite. Shocking, I know.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 13:09   Link #125
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fevvers View Post
...This may be the first yuri anime (manga are a different thing entirely) I've ever enjoyed, and yes, I am one of those yuri-lovers who doesn't worship the daylights out of Marimite. Shocking, I know.
My favorite "yuri" anime:

1. Simoun
2. Oniisama-e
3. Marimite
4. Blue Drop
5. Candy Boy
6. Ice

Aoi Hana looks as if it could easily join that list, based on the manga and ep1. I'm not a huge fan of Utena and no fan at all of Strawberry Panic, despite liking Nabatame Hitomi.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-06, 13:32   Link #126
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
A little late but i throughly enjoyed the first episode of Aoi Hana. Very colorful and i just loved the dialog and the music the colors just drew me in instantly and i dont think it could have been done any better including the bgm. Character animations were solid and imo quite beautiful. The pacing is just right for what this series is. Its a been a while since we a good Yuri i am looking forward to a lot more. I am so excited i can hardly stand to wait for episode 2. I havent been gitty like a school girl about a series in a long time but Aoi Hana just might do it for me. Great adaptation so far.
Old 2009-07-07, 03:24   Link #127
Blaat

J.C. staff + Kenichi Kasai is a great combination for me, and a serious yuri romance is just an added bonus.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-07, 03:43   Link #128
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
J.C. staff + Kenichi Kasai is a great combination for me, and a serious yuri romance is just an added bonus.
Speaking as a manga reader, and someone who's experiencing Kenichi Kasai's way of directing, it's easy to tell that he was behind the first episode. The way he handles the characters are very common with each series. He'll do so much with this material.

So is it true that this show will only be 11 episodes? If that's true, i can't even see then getting to the fourth volume. Not even the end of the third.
Old 2009-07-07, 04:37   Link #129
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Speaking as a manga reader, and someone who's experiencing Kenichi Kasai's way of directing, it's easy to tell that he was behind the first episode. The way he handles the characters are very common with each series. He'll do so much with this material.
I'll be honest I didn't even know J.C. Staff and Kenichi Kasai were working on this show until I recognize elements from the studio and the director while watching the episode.

As for the manga I haven't read it, I'll probably will when the series is done. The mangaka's other work Hourou Musoko looks very interesting though.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-07, 04:43   Link #130
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
As for the manga I haven't read it, I'll probably will when the series is done. The mangaka's other work Hourou Musoko looks very interesting though.
Indeed, Kourko Musoko is another great title. I'd love a future anime adaptation by the same team.
Old 2009-07-07, 05:23   Link #131
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post

So is it true that this show will only be 11 episodes? If that's true, i can't even see then getting to the fourth volume. Not even the end of the third.
Amazon released the DVD schedule of this series:

http://tinyurl.com/me8h22

...and according to the number of the DVD planned and run-time for each DVD, it's going to be 11 episodes.

I seriously hope this becomes a very solid DVD seller so it may consider doing a season 2.
Old 2009-07-07, 05:32   Link #132
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
I seriously hope this becomes a very solid DVD seller so it may consider doing a season 2.
Same here. Even so with it being 11 episodes, we shouldn't see any anime original material at all. The real question is at what part of the manga will they end this series at. I can't wait to find out.
Old 2009-07-07, 05:40   Link #133
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Very nice and girly show, for a yuri show, is a compliment.

One thing about the atmosphere of the storytelling is that it already feels a bit dark and dour at spots. I wonder how.. grim things will get when the inevitable curveball comes..
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-07, 06:00   Link #134
scr
my sides are in orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
I wonder about the nun at Achan's school. Is it really a Catholic school? I always figured that the sorts of schools in Marimite, etc were Christian in name and style only, and had no actual trace of theological teaching or religion. It would add more possible dramatic material if it was, at least.
In Takako SHIMURA's other works, Hourou Musuko, a character is ridden by guilt Catholic-style and want to absolve. I shouldn't say anything more than that due to rules regarding spoilers (from another series, at that), but i can see that the mangaka takes Christian concepts seriously. (As much as i can understand anyway... i'm not a Christian, but being an Abrahamist for 24-years teach you to sense whether something is related to the teaching of your faith-- no matter how remotely.)

I hope i don't step on anyone's toes with this post.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-07, 08:52   Link #135
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

When I started watching I was actually pleasantly shocked to see that J.C.Staff was the studio behind this. The animation quality is almost 2x of the usual stuff they churn out recently.

Then again they've recently upped the ante a bit. Maybe they're getting better funding now? Here's to hoping that the new Shakugan no Shana series gets a good working budget. Hoepfully Aoi Hana will be the benchmark of animation for future offerings from this studio.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 14:26   Link #136
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Loved ep2, as well. Seemed at least as subtle and full of feeling as the manga. Really think Takabe Ai is doing a wonderful job with Fumi. Not a voice I expected, but a good inspiration of hers or the director's or sound director's. Thought the backgrounds were beautifully atmospheric.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-07-08 at 14:54.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 14:28   Link #137
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Sugimoto, Sugimoto, Sugimoto~

Spoiler for Episode 02:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Spoiler for ep2:
It's pretty obvious, so non-manga readers shouldn't have any trouble.
Old 2009-07-08, 16:09   Link #138
4Tran

Watching the first episode of Aoi Hana, it seems like a decent show so far, but nothing more special than that. I'm going to attribute this mostly to the show being one that builds up very slowly, like Maria-sama ga Miteru or Aria, so I don't think that it's too much of a problem. So far, I've got a bit of a gripe with both of the leads: Akira is a decent enough character, but her voice really grates on me. Fumi sounds a lot better, but the "taciturn wallflower" character archetype has never done much for me. Then again, I'm seeing a lot of potential for potent drama, so I'm still quite optimistic about the show. And having Ikuhara being involved in any way is automatically a very good sign.
Old 2009-07-08, 16:30   Link #139
TheBigN
Piercing heavens with ~s
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheBigN Send a message via MSN to TheBigN Send a message via Yahoo to TheBigN
I'm really like how they're executing the reactions from the characters (both subtle and deliberate), and there are some less important animations that make me go back and see them again.

Spoiler for episode 2:

Drastic My Anime Blog- My anime blog.
TheBigN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 02:58   Link #140
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
This made for a good start, though it's not quite as gripping for me in the way that Kimikiss managed to be (not even gonna bring up Nodame or H&C since those were really stellar). Regardless, it's still looking promising because of the wealth of side characters that catch my eye as well as the character backstories, which should hopefully prove to be compelling.

Music was nice and subtle like I'd predicted and I like the way that piano piece just fits right into the show.
zzeroparticle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, romance, school life, yuri