AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

Old 2008-02-08, 03:45   Link #901
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

I just marathoned this series last night, and I could say I wish I had watched it when it was coming out, but then I'd have to wait between episodes and have to come to these forums and listen to people nitpick over the nuances of each episode. So I think it's a good thing that I went through the whole series in one go without any outside impressions or opinions.

Japanese fans voted this anime #1 of 2007 and while I have not watched the majority of the other candidates on the list, I do agree that Sola is very, very good and could deserve that spot. I can see why a lot of people who would vote Gurren Lagann as #1 would not vote Sola instead. Sola isn't fast-paced with lots of madcap and hilarity going on.

But enough of other anime. This is about sola. Love the character design, love the characters, love the story, LOVE the atmosphere, and LOVE the music. It's a very sedate anime that you have to watch with an equally calm and serene mood, and let the story, visuals, and music sort of ease you in and gently glide you across like a lazy boat ride over a calm lake. Even the humor is of the calmer and more sedate kind, and the music sets the mood of the story and accompanies the visuals so adeptly. I think I could've cried if I let myself at some points but I didn't.

The ending was good, but I think the second DVD special was the episode to close the series with, as someone said reminded you why sola was good, and ended the ride with the pivotal moment that started the whole thing off.

So anyway, I applaud this anime and give it my, "highly recommended first-watch for non-anime fans" seal of approval.
Old 2008-02-26, 20:05   Link #902
strategos

WOW!.. didnt saw this one comming. Sola got Liscense!.

http://www.viz.com/apps
http://www.hulu.com
strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-13, 19:37   Link #903
strategos

Well, I finally finish watching this series. I download it a long time ago, but never got to watch it completely. Is amazing. Got another series on my list to buy it on dvd. Still need to watch de OVas thou. Does the audio Drama has anything relevant to the story?

Old 2008-08-18, 11:00   Link #904
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

this deserves a VN.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 18:57   Link #905
whiter
C.C, Matsuri and Horo,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post

But enough of other anime. This is about sola. Love the character design, love the characters, love the story, LOVE the atmosphere, and LOVE the music. It's a very sedate anime that you have to watch with an equally calm and serene mood, and let the story, visuals, and music sort of ease you in and gently glide you across like a lazy boat ride over a calm lake. Even the humor is of the calmer and more sedate kind, and the music sets the mood of the story and accompanies the visuals so adeptly. I think I could've cried if I let myself at some points but I didn't.
There's no better describtion for Sola, that's like all my thoughts about the series.
Absolutely one of the best series ever.
I was a bit dissapointed in the ending, but it wasn't total failure.
The story and themes are very unique, it involves philosphical and psychological sentences and Matsuri is just far too lovely.
Really touching anime about love, loneliness/solitude, difference, and existence.
Old 2008-08-26, 21:14   Link #906
strategos

Watched the ovas. I really want to buy the series now^_^. Waiting for them to reach r1 distribution.

Old 2009-03-03, 23:13   Link #907
ArrowSmith

Madcap/Hilarity is overrated in anime. We need more somber titles.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-04, 22:16   Link #908
Hakuoro917
Obsessed Anime Syndrome
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Hakuoro917
This may be a little unrelated but Sola is also a Latin Word that means: She is alone. I thought about that when I heard about this series.
Hakuoro917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-24, 02:48   Link #909
Seitsuki
Onee!

ah I just thought that it was a play on "solar" which in Japanese is yeah sola >_>
I agree, too much action out there now. Something which goes at its own pace and is comfortable with that should be treasured
Kinda spoiled it for myself, went to Wiki and found out it was a bittersweet ending- I didn't think about it then, but by the time I got to the end I cared about the characters enough to feel really sad D: been ages since I last saw a series which could connect with me this much

Back to StrikerS now... *action* huh
Old 2010-08-30, 19:58   Link #910
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
My god, I love Matsuri's cap. I seem to have something for nice hats

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags