AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2009-09-19, 14:11   Link #281
Matt122005

Ok guys, I need your help.

I am writing a non-fiction book on the side about Japanese pop culture and how it is entering America. One of those things I mention and give an entire chapter to are Light Novels. However, I am lacking something.

History.

I need to know how Light Novels started in Japan. I believe Apr stated on his blog that the term was coined 20 years ago on an online forum. But how long even before the term were novels having manga illustrations? SevenSea's says that in 1997, Boogiepop and Others was the light novel that started the craze for light novels. But....it also says only over 2 million copies are in print. Kino no Tabi and Full Metal Panic were both published soon after and have sold millions more than Boogiepop. So.....did it REALLY start the trend?

I'm asking for people to use their knowledge and post here with it. If you can read Japanese, please search the Japanese Net to find more info. Thank you.

Also, if possible, please list the links to where you discovered this material.

Thanks everyone.
Matt122005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-21, 03:14   Link #282
Matt122005

BUMP

I could 'really' use the help guys. Please.
Old 2009-09-21, 09:20   Link #283
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

I'm a bit strapped for time atm. Drivers test on Thursday, and just finished my Japanese placement exams for the language school. I'll look into it in A bit, but it will take a bit of time. Anybody else can look into it?
seaghyn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-21, 09:26   Link #284
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

You probably need to ask an insider: an editor with any major publisher, for example. That person would be of help not only for the history part, but also the processes involved in the serialisation of the novels. I believe that it's this serialisation that distinguishes "light" novels from other novels (not that novels in other parts of the world didn't undergo serialisation in the past).
Old 2009-09-21, 18:43   Link #285
ken_FF
剱冑の理、ここに在り

Send a message via Yahoo to ken_FF
@kuroishinigami:

Ore imouto is not done yet in volume 4. (o^_^o)
Though it seemed that "Kirino Arc" came to a temporary end, There are other heroine candidates to make up continuation for Ore-Imouto.

Spoiler for Kuroneko:

And, Saori and Ayase are still possible candidates for being a heroine^^
Old 2009-09-22, 05:19   Link #286
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

but Saori, Ayase, and Kuroneko is not imouto :P. They have to change the title if they change the heroine :P. I heard from elsewhere to that it hasn't ended. I think it has considering how the author end it at vol 4
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-23, 01:06   Link #287
ken_FF
剱冑の理、ここに在り

Send a message via Yahoo to ken_FF
Kuroneko, Saori, and Ayase are all younger than kyousuke, which makes them "Imouto" in a way (From an optimistic point-of-view). I heard the author is going to control the story according to who was the most popular among the readers. ;P
Old 2009-09-24, 03:12   Link #288
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Hahaha, but still, they're not his real imouto :P. Oh well, as long as it's still gonna be as good as before I guess it's okay.

On the other hand, I've just finished reading first volume of bungaku shoujo(along with latest baka to tesuto novel, but that's another story ;P), and that was...... captivating. The pace of the storytelling was great, it was like reading agatha christie novel's that doesn't have famous detective character. The twist in the end was unexpected, and somehow it got a feel that there is something behind the two main protagonist backstory beside what is told on the first volume.

Definitely a good read and I reccomend it to fellow light novel reader ^^(though I guess this series has been pretty popular with it getting an anime soon).
Old 2009-09-25, 17:23   Link #289
Matt122005

lol, I don't need an indepth everything annalysis on light novel history and economics. XD

I just meant, if the Japanese Wikipedia article for light novels listed some details, give them please.

And a simple google search about how light novels started. Etc.

Thanks to anyone who can do this.
Old 2009-10-06, 21:07   Link #290
gabakane1

Smile still in need?

Hello,
This is my very first entry and I just happened to come across this thread while I'm looking for some info about Light Novel.
Have you gotten enought information about the history of Light Novel?
If not, I'm Japanese, so I think I could give your some basic idea.
For example, this book could be a great help, but you may not have a way to read it...
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%A9%E3...4881129&sr=8-1

how about this site? it's Japanese, thouth.
http://hiki.cre.jp/write/?LightnovelHistory
gabakane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-07, 09:20   Link #291
DwArD
mAnIaC

I just began reading light novels a year ago. Found it pretty addictive, especially when you managed to picked up a series. The very first novel that got me started was Shounen Onmyouji. Just couldn't accept the fact that the anime ends like that so I bought the novel and started reading. Since then, I'd picked up Nogizuka Haruka no Himitsu, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, Chromed Shell Regios, Shakugan no Shana and Gundam UC. Currently hooked to Gundam UC now. The only downside is I can't read japanese (not yet) so I have to wait for the chinese translated ones from Kadokawa Taiwan.
Old 2009-10-15, 09:08   Link #292
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

You're lucky you can wait for chinese translated one. I also don't understand Chinese and my country don't translate light novel(although they translate manga like crazy lol) so I have to improve my Japanese to read light novel or wait for english translated one. Oh well, at least because of that, I am able to read some simple light novel like baka tesuto to shoukanjuu without opening a dictionary.
Old 2009-10-19, 11:56   Link #293
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
Oh well, at least because of that, I am able to read some simple light novel like baka tesuto to shoukanjuu without opening a dictionary.
Well, maybe not having local translations available is indeed a good incentive for learning a foreign language faster . It is already quite an accomplishment to be able to read a Japanese novel without consulting a dictionary. If your local publishers are releasing manga like crazy, sooner or later they will step into the light novel business. Just focus on further polishing your Japanese skills now. You may have a chance to land on a decent LN translation job in the future.

Back to the light novel scene in Japan, MediaWorks which is currently in control of Dengeki bunko plans to start a new lablel called MediaWorks Bunko. Its target readers are young adults who have been reading light novels during their teenage years and want to explore beyond the light novel landscape. Notable writers include 有川浩, 壁井ユカコ, 入間人間, 古橋秀之, 渡瀬草一郎 and 杉井光 (basically the writers behind many of Dengeki's bestsellers).

Heck, my wallet has been under the control MediaWorks since Day 1 of my Japanese study. When I start to have some interest in other modern Japanese literature, they again make another killing strike...

The typical life path of a Dengeki/MediaWorks zombie :
Yotsubato!, Ichigo Marshmallow & etc (kids/seinen manga) -> Dengeki Daioh (shounen/seinen manga magazine) -> Dengeki Bunko (light novels) -> MediaWorks Bunko -> Fiscal death?

Last edited by Doraneko; 2009-10-19 at 12:06. Reason: Ouch, typos...
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-29, 08:26   Link #294
apr
Pedestrian

Anyone read Sugar Dark yet? It's supposedly "the new Haruhi". I ordered it yesterday, but my shipment will take weeks to get here.
Old 2009-11-29, 09:44   Link #295
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
Anyone read Sugar Dark yet? It's supposedly "the new Haruhi". I ordered it yesterday, but my shipment will take weeks to get here.
発売日:2009年 12月 01日 Not released yet. At least 1-2 more days (depends on where you live) until December 1st.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-29, 10:30   Link #296
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
発売日:2009年 12月 01日 Not released yet. At least 1-2 more days (depends on where you live) until December 1st.
Er, I think streetdate may have been broken.
Old 2009-11-29, 11:11   Link #297
Kunagisa

Quote:
Holy crap that CM looks sweet!
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-29, 15:01   Link #298
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

The reviews on 2ch are surprisingly good despite of the high degree of expectation ramped up by Kadokawa's marketing campaign. Some readers liken it to Mimizuku, another award-winning light novel (under the Dengeki label) with an atmosphere and content very much different from the norm.

Btw Kadokawa is apparently getting desperate in finding the next Haruhi after shooting itself on the feet when dealing with the previous one. Two light novel awards which have not been given out in 6 years are awarded this year. "Matsudai Made!" seems pretty cute, and it is rare to see a LN author to also take care of the illustrations. But so far the reviews are underwhelming.

スニーカー大賞《大賞》: シュガーダーク 埋められた闇と少女」
学園小説大賞《大賞》: 末代まで!

Anyway I ordered my copy a few days ago. It should arrive pretty soon!

A draft of the main heroine in Sugar Dark:
Old 2009-11-29, 16:25   Link #299
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko View Post
Btw Kadokawa is apparently getting desperate in finding the next Haruhi after shooting itself on the feet when dealing with the previous one. Two light novel awards which have not been given out in 6 years are awarded this year.
How did they screw up?

I'm currently reading Kiiri (キーリ) and it's dull so far. Oh well, only 200 pages left! Should have gone straight for Durarara 2 instead.
Old 2009-11-29, 19:44   Link #300
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
How did they screw up?
It wouldn't be too relevant to discuss this in detail here . But anyway aside from the award giveaways, seeing Kadokawa's president mentioning his interest (not yet a plan straightly speaking...) in turning Sugar Dark into an anime before it is even published did raise a few eyebrows in the LN community.

I can only wish them all the best, and certainly wouldn't mind seeing another signature media mix franchise from Kadokawa.

On another note, here is the result of the light novel ranking by このライトノベルがすごい published a while ago. The overall rank is largely influenced by public opinion polls, while the number at the right shows the professional review committee's scores to the works.
Spoiler:

Tags
light novels