AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-09-06, 16:22   Link #21
kujoe
from head to heel

They don't look Asian. Some do when it's required by the plot--such as when a particular character has to look very Chinese, hence a very Chinese hairstyle or getup. Other than that, other signifiers would probably be specific mannerisms that are common among Asians--and yet, even those can be quite difficult to recognize considering that Asians are a diverse group of people.
Old 2004-09-06, 18:34   Link #22
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

Maybe we should ask the starter of this thread to be clearer.

What i understand of the subject:

#1: Some black people that came from carabean islands, have indian ancestor that can result for them to have smaller eyes like the asian. I once took the bus and a saw i chinese woman who looked praticly the same as the Haitian woman who was sitting before her. But i don't think that this is what the starter of the thread was talking about...

#2: Anime character seem to always be japanese but never one, or they rarely, look asian. Those big eyes, their height, it's just not asian... But i know a chinese guy who is very tall and he said that he come from the north part of china.
Old 2004-09-06, 20:23   Link #23
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogo_Pogo
Maybe we should ask the starter of this thread to be clearer.
The guy is just trolling.

Quote:
#2: Anime character seem to always be japanese but never one, or they rarely, look asian. Those big eyes, their height, it's just not asian... But i know a chinese guy who is very tall and he said that he come from the north part of china.
Well, take a look at Yao Ming for example. Height isn't really indicative of a particular ethnicity, just some peoples seem to be shorter than others. Also, in anime, I don't think the people are actually all that tall, just insanely proportioned. Usagi from Sailor Moon is 4'11" according to Takeuchi's profile, yet her legs must also be about 3 and a half feet long - way longer than a 5-foot woman's should be. Just makes them seem taller.
Old 2004-09-06, 20:35   Link #24
Shoeshefied

Send a message via AIM to Shoeshefied
being right or wrong... let me try to avoid this conflict but discuss what maybe the mind of the japanese animators (sometimes there are even Korean and chinese making them, just a little) .. being said, clothing and cultural custom wasnt really mention in this thread but the big bulgy eyes and colored hair. They do resembles the closes things to asian people though, though there are many different colored anime characters and all.. i believe in the minds of the japanese, they have develop a cunning new breed of diversity that can match with the realness of human yet a cartoon half/half. Something like that. you all get along ok!!, lets just enjoy anime and be frekin happy joy joy!

(im asian, but i ssee no label as to why i should call myself that..stupid prides get people no where)

Old 2004-09-07, 10:05   Link #25
zolmaster

Ok, a brief anime history lesson.

The first mega popular anime if I remember was the original Astroboy, I cannot remember the creators name, but he was heavily influenced by the early disney Max Fleicher animations (yes, the kind with Mickey Mouse), and if you take a look at the early Fleicher drawing style, it bears a similar resemblance to anime.

Anyway, it was this adoption and adpatation of that early style that lent to the large eyes look of anime characters today, and believe it or not, this results in the characters looking more caucasion (white) than asian.
Old 2004-09-07, 14:10   Link #26
Yoska
フランキー

Quote:
Originally Posted by zolmaster
The first mega popular anime if I remember was the original Astroboy, I cannot remember the creators name, but he was heavily influenced by the early disney Max Fleicher animations (yes, the kind with Mickey Mouse), and if you take a look at the early Fleicher drawing style, it bears a similar resemblance to anime.
The creator of Tetsuwan Atom is Tezuka Osamu.

Anime is from Japan. Naturally characters should look like japanese.
Character desing in manga and anime represents ideal of beauty in Japan. Big eyes and small mouth are what japanese think as beautiful.
Old 2004-09-07, 14:24   Link #27
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoska
Character desing in manga and anime represents ideal of beauty in Japan. Big eyes and small mouth are what japanese think as beautiful.
Naturally, some exaggeration is involved. Anyone that really had eyes that big would look like a total freak, in any culture.

I've always understood that the big eyes are the clichéd method of enhancing the expressiveness of an abstract character. Rather than have to master all the subtleties of facial expression, they simply draw all the focus to the eyes and work with that. Tezuka did it mostly because he liked cartoons, but the result is the same.

As for what anime characters look like, it's all abstract. It's true that most are idealized, but nobody actually looks like that, anywhere. They look like anime characters. There's always exceptions, of course. Go watch Monster.
Old 2004-09-07, 14:51   Link #28
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Whhhaaaaa HHAAAaaaa what a point less post, but it funny. good job ppls
Old 2004-09-07, 15:32   Link #29
Ending

Myself, I cannot often tell are they asian or not, and I do not particularly look for anything like that. Besides, I'm certain that the authors do not really plan that aspect too much.
Old 2004-09-07, 15:58   Link #30
cindialai
Tsukimori

Send a message via MSN to cindialai
you call that asian???

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntex
Seriously - have any of you guys ever seen an anime character that does not look asian other than people of african descent <dont mean to be a racist - and applogize in advance if I offend anyone>
all i see is brown hair, blonde hair and blue and green eyes... which isn't asian.. they tend to make the bishounen or main suppose to be good looking character blond and green or blue eyes for some reason... unless their have contacts on and dye their hair... i doubt mixed people are like that.. are they??

older animes like dragonball is even worse... so unrealistic . have you seen the dark skin people in that anime....

i wonder which anime really has all the characters being real asians...
Old 2004-09-07, 16:53   Link #31
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindialai
older animes like dragonball is even worse... so unrealistic . have you seen the dark skin people in that anime....
Yes

His name is Mr. Popo

http://www.theotaku.com/dragonball/c...ges/mrpopo.jpg

*you said "dark skin people", right?
Old 2004-09-07, 17:09   Link #32
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Since nobody other than the original poster feels that most anime characters look asian I don't see much point to this thread. Post after post saying, "Huh? You think that anime characters look asian?" Followed with examples of why they don't look asian.

There are a very few shows where the characters do look somewhat asian, most recently Otogizoshi stands out as having asian character designs. Still, we can all agree that these examples are few and hard to find.

I'm going to close this pointless thread now, but if anyone actually agrees with the original poster or syntex would like to explain himself, then PM me and I'll be glad to reopen it. Without that this just isn't a discussion.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Closed Thread