Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2010-05-25, 00:33   Link #3281
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro team takes on 200 kids
In Spain, a pro soccer team of 11 takes on 200 school children (even though they have 3 goalies, they stilll lost.
Link: Yahoo Sports
Old 2010-05-26, 06:08   Link #3282
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Baby survives after being hit by train in Australia

Link for video
Quote:
A 15-month-old baby escaped with just cuts and bruises after being hit by a train when his pushchair rolled off a station platform.

CCTV footage shows the buggy, at the top of the picture, rolling onto the track as the train arrives at Melbourne's Tooronga station.

Paramedics said the double-pushchair started moving after the baby's three-year-old brother climbed out when their grandmother's back was turned.

Ambulance crew member Kate Jessop said it was amazing the child was not seriously hurt, while the grandmother, who was not named, told of her fear for the baby.

A similar incident happened in October, also in Melbourne, when a baby escaped with just a bump on the head.
I kinda held my breath while watching the video of that *cringes*
Lucky baby...
Naturally, don't check it if you're somewhat sensitive, but it is SFW

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 06:10   Link #3283
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Baby survives after being hit by train in Australia

Link for video

I kinda held my breath while watching the video of that *cringes*
Lucky baby...
Naturally, don't check it if you're somewhat sensitive, but it is SFW
Sorry, but I beat you to it
Old 2010-05-26, 06:13   Link #3284
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

I know you hound the news threads with updates regulary, though was more inclined to have this as an odd story, hence I placed in here.
(haven't been to the news thread yet)
Ah well, either/or

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
Old 2010-05-26, 06:17   Link #3285
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
I know you hound the news threads with updates regulary, though was more inclined to have this as an odd story, hence I placed in here.
(haven't been to the news thread yet)
Ah well, either/or
It's still quite disturbing. I am all for Platform screen doors and Automated gates in the near future to prevent stuff like this happening here again, but the trains here don't always stop in the same spot and the doors are manually opened by hand and shut by the driver. Platform doors wouldn't work.

I await the day someone's baby is actually killed by one of these trains. Maybe then something will be done to prevent it. Sorry to say, but I doubt the next baby to fall onto the Metro tracks will survive...
Old 2010-05-26, 08:42   Link #3286
Woopzilla
Desensitized

German bank 'blown up by robbers in botched raid'

Quote:
Originally Posted by news.bbc.co.uk
Suspected robbers in Germany appear to have miscalculated the quantity of explosives needed to blow their way into a rural bank.

The building housing the bank in the northern village of Malliss was largely destroyed by an overnight explosion.

The bank's cash machine survived intact and the suspected thieves are not thought to have made away with any money, Germany's Welt Online reported.

No-one was injured, though the blast damaged nearby cars and buildings.

Investigators were working on the assumption that robbers had placed their explosives, possibly made from petrol or acetylene, at the entrance to the bank, German broadcaster NDR said.

The presence of a delivery van near the site of the explosion indicated that the suspected thieves may have intended to drive off with the cash dispenser, local media reported.
I just had an image in my mind of a giant explosion with everything in ruin around a still pristine cash dispenser.
Old 2010-05-26, 14:18   Link #3287
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japan Today

TOKYO — Hatoyama's flamboyant shirt inspires copies

Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama likes to wear flamboyant clothes. But his latest quirky shirt has gone further than any before—inspiring a copy that went on sale Wednesday for $500 apiece.

The replica is yellow on one arm, blue on the other, red in front and checkered all over. Hatoyama’s original, worn at a recent barbecue, drew mention in the media as an example of odd taste.

Yet a shirt-by-order startup hopes the multicolored item will catch on, selling it online under the heading “Prime Minister of Japan & Fashion Hero.”

“The Hatoyama Shirt” is not the prime minister’s first eye-opening attire. Hatoyama’s past fashion picks include a shirt speckled with hearts, Hawaiian-style shirts and colorfully striped ones.

The co-founders of Shanghai-based ShirtsMyWay.com think the shirt shows a free spirit, even courage, that is needed in global leadership.

“He is showing individuality and creativity,” co-founder Michael Yang said. “We are not making fun of Yukio Hatoyama. We are supporting him.”

Lately, few Japanese are supporting him, at least on the political front, largely because he has reneged on campaign pledges, including a promise to remove a U.S. military base off the southern island of Okinawa.

Peter Crawfurd, the other co-founder, thinks President Barack Obama’s attire pales in comparison to Hatoyama’s. The Hatoyama shirt is a “limited edition,” with only 50 available in the first round of orders. If demand is strong, it will be offered again.

“It definitely stands out,” Crawfurd said.
Ref: ShirtsMyWay
Old 2010-05-26, 14:34   Link #3288
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

I actually am in agreement with Mr. Yang's statement. I dig his shirt.

Last edited by MikaMiaka; 2010-05-27 at 14:53.
MikaMiaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 14:36   Link #3289
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yeah, I actually like that shirt (and I'm the sort of person waiting for a color "darker than black"). Its got an interesting "jester" flair to it (which probably isn't a great connection to make with a Prime Minister. But for me? hey...)

edit: holy crap... $500????? Jackass designers. Stand by while I buy 5 or 6 flannel shirts and dissassemble/reconstruct for under $200 and get 5 or 6 shirts.
Old 2010-05-26, 17:03   Link #3290
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Yeah, I actually like that shirt (and I'm the sort of person waiting for a color "darker than black"). Its got an interesting "jester" flair to it (which probably isn't a great connection to make with a Prime Minister. But for me? hey...)

edit: holy crap... $500????? Jackass designers. Stand by while I buy 5 or 6 flannel shirts and dissassemble/reconstruct for under $200 and get 5 or 6 shirts.
Haha... a breakthrough idea: pick 'n' mix shirt parts, just like they have for sweets in the shops.
Old 2010-05-26, 19:26   Link #3291
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Some people disagree though:

TOKYO -- Japan's prime minister, his poll numbers sagging over a row with Washington, may have caused his popularity to dive even further among fashionistas with a garish 1980s-style shirt.

Yukio Hatoyama donned a long-sleeved checked shirt designed in large blocks of red, blue, yellow, green and purple during a recent meet-the-people barbecue promoted as the “Real Hato Cafe.”

Fashion critic Don Konishi wasn't laughing and lashed out at the premier's fashion crime.

“Is anyone able to stop him wearing such a thing?” Konishi asked in an irate commentary about the offending shirt. “It's too old. It's out of date. He doesn't have his own style.”

Ref: Link 1
Old 2010-05-26, 19:41   Link #3292
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

So then is it suggested to vote for someone based on their fashion sense?
Old 2010-05-26, 19:50   Link #3293
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harufox View Post
So then is it suggested to vote for someone based on their fashion sense?
No, but it speaks of someone who isn't afraid to dress out of the norm. Especially for someone who is a public figure. I think it shows courage.

OR Emperor's New Clothes.

Or a combination of both. LOL.
MikaMiaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 22:49   Link #3294
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaMiaka View Post
No, but it speaks of someone who isn't afraid to dress out of the norm. Especially for someone who is a public figure. I think it shows courage.

OR Emperor's New Clothes.

Or a combination of both. LOL.
Still, I wouldn't vote based entirely on his fashion sense.

Now, I didn't know what to think of this one. It has been circulating it's rounds around here. So...here goes. If you think the train and the baby was disturbing, wait till you see this...

Indonesian toddler smokes 40 cigarettes a day

Quote:
When he lit up his first cigarette as an 18-month-old, toddler Ardi Rizal couldn't have imagined his eventual habit would make him a global curiosity by his second birthday.

Yet that's what happened when footage of the Indonesian boy puffing away was picked up by the world's media this week.

British newspaper The Sun published "the first shocking pictures" of the boy with a 40-a-day habit and footage of him smoking for the cameras has appeared on YouTube.

The Sun report claims the two-year-old became addicted after his father, Mohammed, offered him his first cigarette about six months ago. He now puffs his way through two packs a day.

His mother, Diana, said: "He's totally addicted. If he doesn't get cigarettes, he gets angry and screams and batters his head against the wall. He tells me he feels dizzy and sick."

A US report said the boy, still in nappies and reportedly too unfit to play with other children, was discovered by a journalist who travelled through the fishing village Musi Banyuasin in South Sumatra.
X_x woah. I also hear that the Indonesian Government will give the family a brand new car if they can get their child off the cigarettes. That is desperation at its highest. How could they do that to a small baby, and how can he smoke so much?!
Old 2010-05-26, 23:36   Link #3295
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Still, I wouldn't vote based entirely on his fashion sense.

Now, I didn't know what to think of this one. It has been circulating it's rounds around here. So...here goes. If you think the train and the baby was disturbing, wait till you see this...

X_x woah. I also hear that the Indonesian Government will give the family a brand new car if they can get their child off the cigarettes. That is desperation at its highest. How could they do that to a small baby, and how can he smoke so much?!
Wow...

Another one??
2 months ago, in Jawa, a kid (around 6 years old) is also spotted smoking cigarette and speaking dirty language.

People are quite angered. In the end, that kid is being admitted to rehabilitation center.

Strange country is strange indeed...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 06:44   Link #3296
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:

That is sooooo fucked up.
That's actually depressed me Harufox (thanks)
It's amusing and even funny because its the usual innocence and cute chubbyness of a 2 year old who's all bubbly, by my goodness,
he's freaking poisoning himself to death and his father is the one who initiated it!?

All i can think about are his poor tiny lungs, liver, tiny heart and arteries, teeth that's barely grown, the damage of otherwise a perfectly healthy born body.

Ugh, I'm in a bad mood *chuckles*
That father deserves torture of his balls with the ciggerettes he loves, have hot ciggie ends shrivel and burn them away slowly, so he cannot have any more kids.
The sick aspect isn't so much that the baby's smoking happily away but that he's killing himself.
I personally see it no differenent that if he was happily drinking a bottle of bleach or any other tasty poision that slowly tore away and destroyed his cells and internal organs..

*sighs*
Ending rant before i really get off on how, that's too sad...

Old 2010-05-27, 06:49   Link #3297
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Mystique. You. are. Awesome.

Someone had to say it and you did. Superb. Though it is indeed sad. A normally healthy body ruined and tainted in some a manner. It's rather.. irrevocable, to me anyways.

It's very unfortunate that stuff like this always happen, even worse some let it happen.

I can't forgive this but I can understand it. That this is incredibly irresponsible.

Negative rep to the father.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 07:57   Link #3298
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

^
It's my Jekyll side, she's a vicious one >.>

To add something just as 'eeek' but on a nicer note, here's a odd news story...
Hero catches escalator fall boy in Turkey
I just gotta say that the guy has some damn good reflexes to catch a free falling kid :\

Old 2010-05-27, 09:00   Link #3299
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Why not? It's quite fitting for the loony clown.

The dude's a douchebag, but I like his fashion style.
Old 2010-05-27, 13:31   Link #3300
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Woman offered '£200 to be sterilised'

Tags
humor