Notices

Old 2010-07-19, 15:09   Link #8961
Skyy
Existence of Cuteness

Reinstalled Ubuntu^^

Spoiler for size:
Old 2010-07-19, 15:47   Link #8962
spikexp

Ok, Skyy, I really want to know what theme and software you are using for you desktop.
I've search a long time to find a way to have a osx kind top bar.

Really your desktop is really great.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 18:03   Link #8963
Nadeko_Sengoku
Evil Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyy View Post
Reinstalled Ubuntu^^

Spoiler for size:
is Ubuntu a good OS? Do you think it would run well on a lower-end computer?
Old 2010-07-19, 18:55   Link #8964
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

Quote:
Reinstalled Ubuntu^^

Spoiler for size:
I have one word for ya >..................................... GLORIOUS!

What media player/theme r u using btw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeko_Sengoku View Post
It a very sexe OS however if you have been a windows user your whole life you'll quickly go back to it as you will soon find out things work a lil differently in the Penguin box.

BTW, Ubuntu and many other Linux distros WILL run just fine in a low end machine

Quote:
The minimum memory requirement for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is 256 MB of memory. Note that some of your system’s memory may be unavailable due to being used by the graphics card. If your computer has only the minimum amount of memory, the installation process will take longer than normal, but will complete successfully, and the system will perform adequately once installed.
Personally I am preparing my stuff to do a complete migration from windows to Ubuntu. Time for me to ditch MS!

Last edited by CuXe; 2010-07-19 at 19:09.
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 20:33   Link #8965
Nadeko_Sengoku
Evil Vampire

Ok. But how easy is it to move the files that I already have to Ubuntu?
Old 2010-07-19, 20:41   Link #8966
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Send a message via AIM to Sin of Memories Send a message via MSN to Sin of Memories Send a message via Yahoo to Sin of Memories
Quote:
Reinstalled Ubuntu^^

Spoiler for size:
I like it. My Ubuntu is not as clean clean as yours, but is more rough and dark. I haven't really take the time to fully customize it. the same goes for my windows side. Bare, simple, elegant.

^_^ I like it a lot.

Quote:
Ubuntu is linux so it will run on almost any system. I have used Xubuntu in the past (a light-weight version of ubuntu) and had it on an old PII machine running 64MB of ram. Was slow but it ran. ^_^ Been using ubuntu for about 5 years now and it is VERY stable. I would like to see a windows machine run for more than a month without needing to restart for any reason (you can install something in linux and make it so you never have to restart even after a kernel update).

Meh there I go again blabbing. To put it simply, Ubuntu is a VERY GOOD STABLE OS. It is not perfect, but runs better than windows ever can. Please note that you cannot play games under linux (well as you would under windows).

Quote:
Ok. But how easy is it to move the files that I already have to Ubuntu?
Easy. I literally just copied my home directory under windows to a backup drive, then just restored them on ubuntu. When I did a complete migrate from Windows XP to Ubuntu on my T43, I just backed up anything important (music, my documents, etc...) to an external drive, then wiped and installed Ubuntu. After that it is just a means of copy and pasting everything over. The entire process for me took no more than about 3 hours (from installation to having my Desktop and interface just the way I liked it).

Although you could also run a dual boot of Ubuntu using wubi. Plenty of guides out there for it and Ubuntuforums.org is one of the best places to go to get help for ubuntu.

Last edited by Sin of Memories; 2010-07-19 at 20:51.
Sin of Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 21:42   Link #8967
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin of Memories View Post
I like it. My Ubuntu is not as clean clean as yours, but is more rough and dark. I haven't really take the time to fully customize it. the same goes for my windows side. Bare, simple, elegant.

^_^ I like it a lot.

Ubuntu is linux so it will run on almost any system. I have used Xubuntu in the past (a light-weight version of ubuntu) and had it on an old PII machine running 64MB of ram. Was slow but it ran. ^_^ Been using ubuntu for about 5 years now and it is VERY stable. I would like to see a windows machine run for more than a month without needing to restart for any reason (you can install something in linux and make it so you never have to restart even after a kernel update).

Meh there I go again blabbing. To put it simply, Ubuntu is a VERY GOOD STABLE OS. It is not perfect, but runs better than windows ever can. Please note that you cannot play games under linux (well as you would under windows).

Easy. I literally just copied my home directory under windows to a backup drive, then just restored them on ubuntu. When I did a complete migrate from Windows XP to Ubuntu on my T43, I just backed up anything important (music, my documents, etc...) to an external drive, then wiped and installed Ubuntu. After that it is just a means of copy and pasting everything over. The entire process for me took no more than about 3 hours (from installation to having my Desktop and interface just the way I liked it).

Although you could also run a dual boot of Ubuntu using wubi. Plenty of guides out there for it and Ubuntuforums.org is one of the best places to go to get help for ubuntu.
Well said! I couldn't agree more ... he could also run VirtualBox to learn the Ubuntu interface and environment BEFORE doing a complete migration but I don't know if his computer specs can handle running a virtual instance while running his main OS...

The gaming issue can be solved with wine or virtualbox...

EDIT:

Here is my new Wally. That black box shows up around my sweet cairo dock cause I had to disable 3D in my virtual machine to take the screenshot ... when 3D is enabled the whole thing is transparent and the dam penguin starts walking around doing G-d knows what lol

Last edited by CuXe; 2010-07-19 at 22:03.
Old 2010-07-19, 22:10   Link #8968
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Send a message via AIM to whitepearl Send a message via MSN to whitepearl
Decided to change things up with something very simple:

Twitter
whitepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 22:46   Link #8969
Chrisjon
In 7/4 tyme

Spoiler for Big.:

Although I have 123 wallpapers that change every 30 seconds here is one of them.
Old 2010-07-20, 02:10   Link #8970
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Send a message via AIM to Sin of Memories Send a message via MSN to Sin of Memories Send a message via Yahoo to Sin of Memories
Awesome. ^_^ I only have 6.
Old 2010-07-20, 05:42   Link #8971
Skyy
Existence of Cuteness

@spikexp:

First, thanks!^^ To get the Mac-like bar in Linux simply install Globalmenu following these instructions: http://code.google.com/p/gnome2-glob...allingonUbuntu

As for getting that bar on Windows, I searched for years and haven't found anything worthwhile

@Nadeko_Sengoku:

Ubuntu will run very good on a weaker PC just bear in mind no Windows applications and programs will run, the rest Sin of Memories also explained^^

@Sin of Memories: Thanks to you too!^^ I tried to make Linux seem a little less patchworky and more refined, seems like I succeeded a bit :P

@CuXe: Thanks to you also!^^ I use Rhythembox as my Mediaplayer with Covergloobus on my desktop, the theme can be found here: http://cf1234.deviantart.com/art/Pin...obus-158739675

About the VM, does Compiz work now in VMs? I will never ditch Windows, for that I love Win7 and gaming far too much and I don't think playing Crysis in a VM on Linux will get me anywhere xD But yeah this Ubuntu install I have now was installed with WUBI and simply is a backup system for me should my main OS fail^^

In general I like Linux very much but the filesystem is a mess sometimes, whenever I access the root partition I'm like: "HOLY why are there so much folders I don't know what they contain?" xD And no matter what I do, I can't get 100% rid of that "home-made" feeling Linux emits but it's still good!^^
Old 2010-07-20, 08:14   Link #8972
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

Quote:

@CuXe: Thanks to you also!^^ I use Rhythembox as my Mediaplayer with Covergloobus on my desktop, the theme can be found here: http://cf1234.deviantart.com/art/Pin...obus-158739675

About the VM, does Compiz work now in VMs? I will never ditch Windows, for that I love Win7 and gaming far too much and I don't think playing Crysis in a VM on Linux will get me anywhere xD But yeah this Ubuntu install I have now was installed with WUBI and simply is a backup system for me should my main OS fail^^

In general I like Linux very much but the filesystem is a mess sometimes, whenever I access the root partition I'm like: "HOLY why are there so much folders I don't know what they contain?" xD And no matter what I do, I can't get 100% rid of that "home-made" feeling Linux emits but it's still good!^^
Yeap Compiz works with virtualmachines U just need decent hardware to get it to run fast, if u have that ur all set .. the only thing that has given me trouble is the 3D thing in VirtualBox which keeps me from taking screenshots of my VM within ubuntu but if I disable 3D I can take screenshots no prob. I could also take screenshots from my host into the VM if I didn't want to disable 3D to take screenshots (should have done that in the first place lol)

n Yeah for hardcore gaming I wouldn't use a VM but an actual machine

Thanks for the Covergloobus reference
Old 2010-07-20, 19:58   Link #8973
Suomi
Kaiba

Spoiler for link says something about Gaara/:
Someone's epic fanart of
Spoiler for Gaara:
and a future hokage naruto
What? Naruto obsession? ...nah...*sweatdrop*

Last edited by Suomi; 2010-07-20 at 20:12.
Suomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 20:11   Link #8974
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Hmm... I like it.
Old 2010-07-20, 20:26   Link #8975
Alchemist007
*Author

Higher res plz?
Old 2010-07-20, 22:19   Link #8976
Carlos Julian
Elsie smash!

Spoiler for :

Just made this (thanks Black0raz0r for the commie wallpaper). I'm not completely satisfied with it, but it'd be too much of a pain to touch it up a bit. Maybe some other day.
Carlos Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 02:00   Link #8977
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

I have a bunch of anti-windows wallpapers someplace around here on my computer. Actually I have about 1TB of crap between my external and internal that I need to go through....
Old 2010-07-21, 02:38   Link #8978
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Switched off Aero because it caused problems. Right wp is put together of several images from Yanagi.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 04:48   Link #8979
LovelyRose

^^
Spoiler for Desktop:
LovelyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 04:52   Link #8980
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyRose View Post
^^
Spoiler for Desktop:
Woe woe! Is dat Chi being all sexe? OMG I think I can see a !!!!

Tags
customize, desktop, rainmeter, wallpaper