Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-08-30, 07:27   Link #3681
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I actually thought BetoJR would be the first one to bring that up in this thread.
Now, why would you think that? I'm being very quiet, here.
Anyway, I don't really ship this show. I'm way too interested in the gore and the cheese, at least until now. I do prefer Saeko, tho.

Also, about the comment regarding condoms and why the "husband and wife" wouldn't have done such a thing... really, because in the real world everyone thinks about those things (such as consequences), when they find themselves in situations like that, right? That's why there is no such thing as "unplanned" pregnancies and abortions, eh?
Honestly...

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 07:29   Link #3682
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I was pleasantly surprised at how "normal"/serious this episode was compared to what we've gotten used to until the "NURERU!" happened. I couldn't help but burst out laughing

That aside, I loved this episode. Actually, I loved the nureru too, I can always use a laugh. Saeko is now one step ahead of Rei, will the latter counterattack next episode? How will she even be able top this? Oh, and I loved Saya's face when she saw Saeko and Takashi holding each other.
Old 2010-08-30, 07:34   Link #3683
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I was pleasantly surprised at how "normal"/serious this episode was compared to what we've gotten used to until the "NURERU!" happened. I couldn't help but burst out laughing

That kinda ruined the perfect episode. They can show her orgasmic face, but don't spell it out. Because of that, I have to take away 1 point, and give the episode a 10 .
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 07:36   Link #3684
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Now, why would you think that? I'm being very quiet, here.
At least before KiNA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Oh, and I loved Saya's face when she saw Saeko and Takashi holding each other.
Tsun tsun tsun~
Old 2010-08-30, 07:47   Link #3685
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID555 View Post
That kinda ruined the perfect episode. They can show her orgasmic face, but don't spell it out. Because of that, I have to take away 1 point, and give the episode a 10 .
Wait .. WUT?

Quote:
At least before KiNA.

-
For me, its clear.. they wont refer each other with first name AND without honorific title if they didnt do it

But that just me fanboy speaking
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 07:51   Link #3686
The1
Relentless sinner

Spoiler for Episode 9:
The1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 08:10   Link #3687
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
Wait .. WUT?

It was originally 11.
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 08:16   Link #3688
konart

We have 3 episodes left now?

Spoiler for the final episdodes:

Something like this?
Old 2010-08-30, 08:19   Link #3689
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

^ 11. Dead Man Walking.

D:
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2010-08-30, 08:22   Link #3690
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
^ 11. Dead Man Walking.

D:
No such chapter in the manga though
Old 2010-08-30, 08:26   Link #3691
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
I don't think the two had sex in the temple, though that was most probably a kiss. Also it's pretty impossible not to label the two as a couple after all those events in the second half of the episode . Good job Madhouse.
Heh, I support that kind of view for various reasons:

(1)
Adding such overt sexual tension to the Takashi and Saeko's relationship completely changes the way I would regard Takashi's "integrity". It wasn't very long ago that fans here raged on Rei for being so apparently fickle, switching instantly from a just-dead boyfriend back to an old flame. Yet, we now have the same thing happening with Takashi, who has gone — in the space of just one evening — from someone who heroically jumped in front of his unofficial girlfriend to save her from ravenous zombies, to someone lusting after another woman.

As I've said before, the spontaneous responses I see in this thread say alot about us in general than we would care to admit. In this case, there is a definite case of double standards: A set of sexual morals that applies to women but somehow doesn't apply to men; the idea that a virtuous woman ought to stay "pure" for her man, while it's OK for a man to sow his wild oats wherever and whenever he wants.

It's plain old, feudalistic misogyny, which we conveniently overlook because of the entertainment value.

(2)
With regard to Saeko, this particular chapter in the manga made her a much more interesting character, in my opinion, but for entirely different reasons compared to the anime version.

By this point in the manga, the plot had already begun to "mature", in that it was beginning to develop a slightly darker tone, building on ideas introduced earlier in the series, of a society in rapid decay. Saeko's backstory, set in this context, thus added further depth to the idea, because it raised the awareness that, for many people, the beast had already been lurking very close to the surface. All it was waiting for was the right moment to surface, erasing all remaining semblance of a crumbling morality.

It's as Nietzche said: "If you stare long into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you."

That was the basis of Saeko's fear, which was very different in tone from Takashi and Rei's earlier concerns about their own fading humanity.

Now, Takashi's subsequent role was to be Saeko's conscience, so to speak. This is a common motif that I find unique to Japanese morality tales. Think, for example, of the ill-fated Tomoe, who served as Kenshin's "sheath" (a symbol with both metaphorical and sexual undertones) in Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen. Think also, for example, of Final Fantasy XII's Vayne, who acted as both sword and shield to his younger brother, Larsa. The elder brother was to take on the sins of power and leadership upon himself, so that his virtuous brother could remain pure.

This social ideal extends even to real life, where the generals of wartime Japan — with Hideki Tojo being the prime example — willingly allowed themselves to be tried and hanged so as to spare their "divine" Emperor from subsequent persecution.

As far as I can tell, the whole concept is based on the idea of karma, as well as on a very pragmatic expectation that the very act of making choices is to sin. Only those who lived apart from worldly affairs could truly become "saints". It wasn't an accident, I think, that this episode/chapter unfolded, of all places, inside a temple/shrine, because there was supposed to be a religious/ethical undertone to what transpired between Takashi and Saeko.

In the source material, Takashi's role comes across as being more noble, as befitting his status as the "leader" of the team. Here, however, with the rewrite, it has become — how should I put it — more prosaic, the actions of a hormone-addled lad who temporarily forgot to control his dick.

(3)
In the end, the massive changes to context complicate two developments that will soon be coming, one between Takashi and Rei, and the other between Takashi and the rest of the team. I won't discuss this point further, as it would be a spoiler. In any case, I'm no longer certain how the plot will develop, as a lot of what will now unfold will likely be anime-original.

Even the preferred "ending" is not entirely sacrosanct any more. There is a much greater chance now, I feel, that Madhouse is aiming for a more conclusive ending than I had anticipated.

===================

In the end, though, after all that TL;DR spiel, who am I really kidding?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
score one for the good guys. *breaks out fire shield*

..nowait, who ships anything else anyway :P
This episode is all about fanservice, to the majority faction of HOTD 'shippers out there, and I see no pressing reason to take it away from them.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 08:37   Link #3692
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

^ I once remember a wise word from /b/ I think.. which is rare.

Quote:
Woman = keyhole.
Man = masterkey.

Nobody likes keyhole that can be open by many key.. But every body loves a good masterkey.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2010-08-30, 08:40   Link #3693
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Spoiler for ep.9:

SQUEEZE THOSE MATRIX BOOBIES HARD~!!! YEAH!!!!(x3) I think she's also a closest masochist.

No wonder also they're marketing the black t-shirt Saeko figure. Truly a good development.
Old 2010-08-30, 08:43   Link #3694
Qikz

Saeko has a nice Yandere face,
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 08:53   Link #3695
Gohan78
Awakened One

I am going against the majority here but I think that Madhouse butchered Takashi's characterization in this episode.
The same guy who was willing to die alongside Rei just a few hours ago is now head-over-heels for Saeko? Please.
The problem is that in the next manga chapter there is another Takashi X Rei moment. If they keep that in the anime, they will make him look like a horny womanizer.
Also, the boob grab was way over the top. Takashi wouldn't willingly hurt Saeko.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 08:54   Link #3696
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
As I've said before, the spontaneous responses I see in this thread say alot about us in general than we would care to admit. In this case, there is a definite case of double standards: A set of sexual morals that applies to women but somehow doesn't apply to men; the idea that a virtuous woman ought to stay "pure" for her man, while it's OK for a man to sow his wild oats wherever and whenever he wants.
Well, strictly speaking for myself, I can't condone such standardization: I'm an equal opportunity dude, after all. Also, I truly dislike this whole "pure" ideal. It makes people (or, in this case, characters) seem utterly unreal. I vastly prefer the ungodly mishmash we're getting in this series - even if it's all starting to deviate a bit from the original manga (which, to be honest, could well be a good thing, yet).

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 09:15   Link #3697
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Well, strictly speaking for myself, I can't condone such standardization: I'm an equal opportunity dude, after all. Also, I truly dislike this whole "pure" ideal. It makes people (or, in this case, characters) seem utterly unreal. I vastly prefer the ungodly mishmash we're getting in this series - even if it's all starting to deviate a bit from the original manga (which, to be honest, could well be a good thing, yet).
Haha, don't get me wrong. I like the new direction the anime is taking, even though I do have strong reservations about it. I liked this episode, as well as its manga equivalent, precisely because it made Saeko human. Up till now, she was merely an exercise in male wish-fulfilment. Now, on the other hand, she is more "real", dealing with a flaw that many people can easily empathise with.

Moreover, I've always been a strong supporter of anime staff who dare to take artistic liberty with a source material, so long as they don't deviate too far from the spirit of the original. Despite major changes, I feel that Madhouse has done a good job here. Much of what the studio's staff have chosen to play up is inspired by the source. None of it is stuff that they pulled out of thin air. This is superb adaptation, in my opinion, even if I don't agree with some of the new directions they have taken.

To put it simply, Madhouse has added as much to the series as it has taken from it so, on balance, all is still good.

If only the studio had shown such balls with Claymore — I wouldn't have been as pissed with that particular adaptation then.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 09:16   Link #3698
Kallen4life

OH MY GOD THIS MADE MY WEEK .. and yes, I AM WET was awesome, superbly over the top crazy awesome - just how I like my HotD .. this show is getting a 9 from me atm

Saeko - well, damn, she's going straight into my MAL's fav list

also, give her a Bankai and a duel with Zaraki Kenpachi .. or join the Espada or something

Rei should just die, sry

as to Takashi - well he didn't dissapoint (though Kota is still best), u go m8

as to his actions :
1) the breast grabbing was meant to simulate that assault 4 years earlier to get her in the mood get her blood-thirstiness out seeing as how they needed her to cut down some dead-meat .. also to get her attention (there wasn't much time) and to get her to listen closely fast .. also, he probably wanted to do it .. and those boobs can handle supersonic forces, they'll be alright
2) his last line - maybe he meant he accepted EVERYTHING that happened since the outbreak, meaning limitations are non-existant and any morality flies out the windows .. even if he's trying to be a manipulative bastard (he'll obviously fail) - it's obvious he feels something for Saeko, at the very least lust .. or he actually doesn't know what he feels and tries to bury that uncertainness under the ' I did it to survive' thing

a harem suits this situation better anyway - I mean there're more girls in their group and they gotta restore humanitys number somehow xD .. I'm sure he can handle both of them

P.S. I hope they did it
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 09:21   Link #3699
Maverick05

Well, I watched the episode for the second time and a few things actually clicked in basically.
Quote:
Saeko had shown signs of being attracted to Takashi but in all honesty, it was all there already in the manga as well, it's just Saeko never had this sort of opprotunity prior. That and she tried to respect Rei's 'claim' on him a bit more so it probably turns people off that Saeko's gotten so far with Takashi already.
Actually Tempest, in the manga Saeko respected Rei's claim UNTIL the Sword and the Dead Chapter. After that, it became clear that Saeko was ready to wage full frontal war with Rei just to get Takashi. Remember that even Saya had to warn him about this and Sensei got worried about it. Now that they moved earlier this episode, it is bound to create more friction in the group.

Quote:
Adding such overt sexual tension to the Takashi and Saeko's relationship completely changes the way I would regard Takashi's "integrity". It wasn't very long ago that fans here raged on Rei for being so apparently fickle, switching instantly from a just-dead boyfriend back to an old flame. Yet, we now have the same thing happening with Takashi, who has gone — in the space of just one evening — from someone who heroically jumped in front of his unofficial girlfriend to save her from ravenous zombies, to someone lusting after another woman.
TinyRedLeaf:
First of all: Blood will be spilled in a relationship mainly for two reasons: Sex and Money.

I also doubt that Takashi had sex with Saeko. Perphaps some snuggling, wandering hands, a bit of naked skin, and lots of steam, but I really doubt they got the homerun.

Yet there is something I notice and that I think it is something you should consider too:
Manga Takashi is a honest guy with a lot of integrity, and his darker side was that he liked this new no-rules world.

But anime Takashi....He still has his moral grounds, yet he has a new dark side different from the manga. He is still quite bitter with Rei going with Hisashi yet he likes the fact that now Rei "needs him" as in now having the upper hand. With Saeko, he showed a manipulative side and it looked more like he was pushing the right buttons so that she could be "released" from her depressed state.

Yet that is my own theory.

Finally, I don't think Takashi has become Saeko's "sheath", but more like a master to control her but also allow her to have fun.

Now, with this episode, I have a hard time trying to think or imagine that the anime will follow the same course of the manga. I can see a stronger leader in Takashi, but at the same time I can see a lot more friction/drama with Rei and Saeko. I really hope there is a second season, but again I highly doubt they will follow the manga after the end of the first season.
Maverick05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 09:25   Link #3700
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
Late to the party, but awesome ecchi anime. I prefer my zombies in the backseat.
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, boobs, ecchi, harem, horror, romance, seinen, shounen, zombie apocalypse