AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2011-02-05, 13:04   Link #7741
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodanhko View Post
Genius is something are you born with; you can't gain it through studies or experience.
So it's not enough to want to debate with me, you want to debate with the school system as well?

Would people quit throwing my faith in humanity being intelligent a shovel?
... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.
The world is winning.. by leaps and bounds.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.
Bastion_Arcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 13:32   Link #7742
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastion_Arcion View Post
So it's not enough to want to debate with me, you want to debate with the school system as well?
I won't mind, really...

Everyone who are known as geniuses are called a genius at their young age (even as early as 4 or 5). They are called genius because of their immense ability to learn and comprehend which are vastly superior compare to typical children and adults.

There are countless adults in the world with more knowledge than genius children due to their experience and studies, but they are never called genius because it took them 'a lot of time' to gain their knowledge compare to a genius.

School can make you become more intelligence because it helps you gain more knowledge, but it can never make you a genius.

That is why every famous school would accept students as intellectual (especially geniuses) as possible, because they know people's speed of learning/comprehension are different the moment they are born.
zodanhko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 13:55   Link #7743
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
Quote:
Everyone who are known as geniuses are called a genius at their young age (even as early as 4 or 5). They are called genius because of their immense ability to learn and comprehend which are vastly superior compare to typical children and adults.

That is why every famous school would accept students as intellectual (especially geniuses) as possible, because they know people's speed of learning/comprehension are different the moment they are born.
Many genius' we hear about on TV are called 'young genius', which in their very wording implies that it can be learned.

In this very manga it's implied that genius is not an inborn trait. Nagi, Sakuya, Isumi and Wataru are excellent examples. All are grade-skippers, but Wataru's only seems to be outside of school learning.
Nagi is called a genius, but the only trait which seems to show this is her ability to handle money, while she fails at manga-making and does exceptionally badly on housework, and it's implied that even if she were taught how to do housework right, she still wouldn't be able to handle it.

On the other hand, Hinagiku has only recently (by the story standards) been given the honor of being called a genius, and has learned to be such.

Additionally, Hayate isn't hailed as a genius and could probably outperform all three on tasks learned from scratch within a given time frame. He learned nearly all of his swordsmanship skills from Athena in what appears to be a few months, and is able to fight at a level that took others years to accomplish.
He also missed the school cut off line by one point, despite us being shown continually that he has a lot of knowledge available to him.
The false test Yukiji put him through would have had no effect on his grade if he were a genius.

... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.
Old 2011-02-05, 15:41   Link #7744
leoblack9
Your fagottry, I hate it!

You are thinking way to much nigga. I'd say Hayate wins in a getting hit by a car contest that and only that. His skills are innate too i think.
Old 2011-02-05, 16:59   Link #7745
ridgezipline

Quote:
Many genius' we hear about on TV are called 'young genius', which in their very wording implies that it can be learned.
sorry bro. it's not. genius is something inherent. although factors like environment could improve one's IQ or skill, it is not very far from the person's actual intelligence.
such exceptionality is only verified through a series of tests related to his/her expertise... on tv, the word is overused. being a genius is more than memorizing all countries and their capitals. it requires a lot more than that to be labeled as a 'genius'.

as for 'geniuses' in the manga, i think athena and maria fits the criteria. athena especially -- the way she speaks as a kid, social life mainly around adults, except hayate and hina, decision-making skills, her priorities as a child are all indicators of it.

as for maria, i can't say much because she has really few screen time . nagi and hina might be around superior.

being a genius does not equate achievement. that is why even if hina might not be on the same caliber as athena or maria in terms of mental ability. she excels in a lot of areas, including the acads.
ridgezipline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 17:48   Link #7746
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgezipline View Post
sorry bro. it's not. genius is something inherent. although factors like environment could improve one's IQ or skill, it is not very far from the person's actual intelligence.
such exceptionality is only verified through a series of tests related to his/her expertise... on tv, the word is overused. being a genius is more than memorizing all countries and their capitals. it requires a lot more than that to be labeled as a 'genius'.

as for 'geniuses' in the manga, i think athena and maria fits the criteria. athena especially -- the way she speaks as a kid, social life mainly around adults, except hayate and hina, decision-making skills, her priorities as a child are all indicators of it.
You do realize that your two 'genius-level' examples are exactly the ones who seem to be holding knowledge that proves they could be older than they look, and thus ineligible for your own definition of being born genius - rather than learned genius who took a body trip back in time to appear as children.

Ever seen the show 'Eureka'? The main character is considered the only one of the town not a genius, and yet has continually shown to be able to surpass the rest of the town's level of intelligence to make his conclusions, all while having a completely average mental ability.
He learns faster than the supposed 'genius' around him.

Old 2011-02-05, 20:35   Link #7747
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
"Young Genius"=Just to tell that these youngster here are geniuses...

Just tell a neurologist (or any intellectual being): My brain will rewire to have an IQ level of a genius if I study harder. Or, I'm sure l'll have a genius IQ level if I study more. You'll become a celebrity.

Quote:
In this very manga it's implied that genius is not an inborn trait. Nagi, Sakuya, Isumi and Wataru are excellent examples. All are grade-skippers, but Wataru's only seems to be outside of school learning.

On the other hand, Hinagiku has only recently (by the story standards) been given the honor of being called a genius, and has learned to be such.
Those four were never referred to as a geniuses in this manga.

Skip grades do not equivalent to being a genius. It can be done by a smart and hard-working person like Wataru. He said he studied his ass-off in order to skip grades (yes, hard-work pays off in school). However, Nagi easily skipped grades even though she was absent frequently.

Nagi, Maria, and Athena are the only three that was called 'genius' in the manga by other people I believe.

---Nagi was called a 'genius' by Maria because she was an extremely fast learner. At the age of 7, Nagi beat all of her tutors in every game such as in chess,and claimed that none of them was smart enough to teach her, with the only exception being Maria. Yes, that's a genius level that none of the other four you spoke of had shown.

---Maria was called a 'true genius' by the robot-creator-teacher with the same exceptionally intellectual capability as Nagi, but Maria is ever better thant Nagi with her entered high school at 10 and graduated at 13. Never lost in a game.

---Athena was called the 'greatest genius' by Miki because well..I would also like to know what Athena did for Miki to put her above Maria.

Quote:
Additionally, Hayate isn't hailed as a genius and could probably outperform all three on tasks learned from scratch within a given time frame. He learned nearly all of his swordsmanship skills from Athena in what appears to be a few months, and is able to fight at a level that took others years to accomplish.
He also missed the school cut off line by one point, despite us being shown continually that he has a lot of knowledge available to him.
The false test Yukiji put him through would have had no effect on his grade if he were a genius.
Hayate is definitely no genius in Logical-mathematical intelligent, meaning he's no good in academic. He learned many things as a butler from Athena through hard-work and determination with his body. He trained his body so his reflexes and physical capability enhanced greatly, so, of course, he could done anything fast than the especially slow body reflex genius. And, Hayate is definitely has bodily-kinesthetic intelligence.

There are different type of intelligences and different kind of genius. One could be a genius in sport, music, learning languages, etc.

Quote:
Ever seen the show 'Eureka'? The main character is considered the only one of the town not a genius, and yet has continually shown to be able to surpass the rest of the town's level of intelligence to make his conclusions, all while having a completely average mental ability.
The main character solved problems precisely because he can only think simplistic, while the geniuses think of complicated methods that doesn't work which was the movie's premise. To be honest, it's quite farfect for most occasions.

Last edited by zodanhko; 2011-02-05 at 21:39.
Old 2011-02-05, 21:08   Link #7748
ridgezipline

Quote:
You do realize that your two 'genius-level' examples are exactly the ones who seem to be holding knowledge that proves they could be older than they look, and thus ineligible for your own definition of being born genius - rather than learned genius who took a body trip back in time to appear as children.

no lol it's not my personal definition. check 'giftedness' -- jargon used for 'genius'. anyway there are a lot of definitions

the rationale behind the 'older than they look' as you mentioned is simply because gifted(genius) have cognitive abilities beyond their age -- i.e. 6-year old genius may think like an adult(?)... which is also the reason why they prefer talking to adults because children their age couldn't comprehend what they are saying.

for example, the little a-tan in RG knows that it takes financial security, abilities to take care of the your important person, etc. to be in an actual relationship (although exaggeratedly so) which is something hayate didn't understand much back then.

im sorry i havent seen any anime in years as i mentioned giftedness DOES NOT equate achievement. geniuses can be underachievers too. like what you shared about eureka, it happened to einstein as well. his speech was delayed. he cannot read until 7 but we have the benefit of knowing he is one of the greatest minds of our era. thomas edison was called dumb by his teacher yet he invented quite a number of things.

being a genius is not determined by ordinary people. although we can suspect who is and who's not gifted, we still need pros to diagnose them for us.

Last edited by ridgezipline; 2011-02-05 at 21:18. Reason: mixed up :))
Old 2011-02-05, 22:14   Link #7749
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
for example, the little a-tan in RG knows that it takes financial security, abilities to take care of the your important person, etc. to be in an actual relationship (although exaggeratedly so) which is something hayate didn't understand much back then.
It does not take the guy to be financially secure to support the family that is a possibility if the woman is secure enough to be able to support her own family while sitting on her hands.

That was a belief common in past ages, and is currently dismissed off-hand, Athena would have known that, even if she had learned it by being a genius.

The event is shown that he was taught the lesson with that being Athena's own words (from Hayate's memories), and thus what was pounded into him, not his own translation of what he was taught. Athena is a living, breathing counter to her own argument, and that she does nothing to dissuade his statement when he presents this to her later proves that that is exactly what she was talking about. The lesson taught also says nothing about the physical toll of the issue, only the financial. Most (of many ages) would say that the

Quote:
im sorry i havent seen any anime in years as i mentioned giftedness DOES NOT equate achievement. geniuses can be underachievers too. like what you shared about eureka, it happened to einstein as well. his speech was delayed. he cannot read until 7 but we have the benefit of knowing he is one of the greatest minds of our era. thomas edison was called dumb by his teacher yet he invented quite a number of things.
Carter (the main character of Eureka) isn't the one calling everyone genius', it's the entire premise of the show and everyone else, which means the genius' themselves, are saying he's the only normal intelligence in the entire town, and stated in-show that he scored 112 on an IQ test (which doesn't mean much).
His daughter is actually proof of the 'genius can be learned' statement, it wasn't immediately apparent, but she actually belongs in the town as one of the genius', but that's only because she learned to be so, and her father still amazes her.

Quote:
being a genius is not determined by ordinary people. although we can suspect who is and who's not gifted, we still need pros to diagnose them for us.
So you're going to wait for someone else to tell you someone's a genius? Is it just me, or does that just plain not sound an intelligent course of action?

Old 2011-02-05, 23:38   Link #7750
GlassesLady
dat apple

-eyes slowly glaze over-

What... what is this...

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
GlassesLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 23:46   Link #7751
madmac

Quote:
What... what is this...
My favorite character is objectively better then your favorite character and I can prove it with Science!*

*By Science, I mean references to other completely unrelated (and fictional)cartoons, Television shows, and the odd insert clip from Bill Nye the Science Guy.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-06, 00:35   Link #7752
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
My favorite character is objectively better then your favorite character and I can prove it with Science!*
The subject were- whether (average) people can gain genius level intelligent by massive studying, or is genius an inborn characteristic? I believe the latter, and Bastion believe the former..

Quote:
*By Science, I mean references to other completely unrelated (and fictional)cartoons, Television shows, and the odd insert clip from Bill Nye the Science Guy.
Apparently, events in a sci-fictions series can be used as a fact for some.
Old 2011-02-06, 01:54   Link #7753
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
The subject were- whether (average) people can gain genius level intelligent by massive studying, or is genius an inborn characteristic? I believe the latter, and Bastion believe the former..

Apparently, events in a sci-fictions series can be used as a fact for some.
A: This fact is implied well within this series, the characters you and ridgezipline keep bringing up being well within the limits of my side of the argument, as I spoke about when I referred to DC (and Hata makes many references to as well) earlier are main instruments of such.

B: If you actually cared, you'd know that many sci-fi shows often take a lot of pains to use actual scientific fact within their content, generally having experts within the fields be on-set during events to make sure of it, Eureka often does so, and makes it clear within the show even.
Even though Rule of Cool is the order, especially where Athena is concerned, Hata sometimes does delve into real issues.
Also, I continually attempt to bring it back to it's base and it's often you two who tend to take it off course. This discussion had actually started as something else entirely.

Old 2011-02-06, 03:25   Link #7754
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
A: This fact is implied well within this series
You called your implications facts.

Would you please find a chapter in the manga where Wataru, Isumi, Sayuka, or Hinagiku was being called a genius (like you claimed they are geniuses according to the manga "standard," the "standard" to be a genius you personally made up for the manga without knowing anyone's IQ level)? Don't give me the 'manga implied this and implied that' over and over and over again without any proof.

Quote:
B: If you actually cared, you'd know that many sci-fi shows often take a lot of pains to use actual scientific fact within their content
Yes, they many time tried to use scientific ideas to create a fiction story, meaning the story is not true. The events (the word I used) in those fiction series are make-believes, like the case that you used as a fact (as a true story) where an 'average person was capable to save his town because he had an average intelligent with simplistic thinking, while all the geniuses were useless because they were too smart.'Taking that situation seriously is ludicrous to the norm (it's a fiction story, please look at the genre!!!).

Last edited by zodanhko; 2011-02-06 at 05:06.
Old 2011-02-06, 10:48   Link #7755
ridgezipline

Quote:
It does not take the guy to be financially secure to support the family that is a possibility if the woman is secure enough to be able to support her own family while sitting on her hands.
it could be either or could be both. i leave it to people to choose which relationship is good for them.

Quote:
So you're going to wait for someone else to tell you someone's a genius? Is it just me, or does that just plain not sound an intelligent course of action?
i will wait because i am in no position to diagnose someone's abilities. things like these require years of training, certification, licenses, etc. the most i can do is to suspect and refer them to good pros [by pros i do not mean the quacks on tv].

isnt it more intelligent to simply say what you know and listen to others who know far better than claim you're an expert in this and that but in reality you're not?

Quote:

Last edited by ridgezipline; 2011-02-06 at 11:17.
Old 2011-02-06, 15:01   Link #7756
mitsuganae

Quote:
Quote:
What... what is this...

May I join both of you, please?

I will say one thing about this whole genius business: assuming one has intimate knowledge of the field(s) in question, one can truly know what a genius is only by knowing one firsthand (fictional characters don't bloody count) or actually being one. I seriously doubt either applies to anyone here.

That, and standards for being a genius must have dropped quite a bit, considering how often the term is thrown around nowadays.

Last edited by mitsuganae; 2011-02-06 at 17:00.
mitsuganae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-07, 19:07   Link #7757
GlassesLady
dat apple

It's funny because they go right back from replying to our snarking at their argument to arguing again.

So what're we talking about again?

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
GlassesLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-07, 20:07   Link #7758
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
Yes, they many time tried to use scientific ideas to create a fiction story, meaning the story is not true. The events (the word I used) in those fiction series are make-believes, like the case that you used as a fact (as a true story) where an 'average person was capable to save his town because he had an average intelligent with simplistic thinking, while all the geniuses were useless because they were too smart.'Taking that situation seriously is ludicrous to the norm (it's a fiction story, please look at the genre!!!).
I think you're turned around. Sci Fi is a fictional setting with scientific principles applied to it.
The story often is largely true, but put into another setting to keep from being to blatant about it and getting taken off of the air for insulting the government or someone.

The genius' in Eureka are not useless because they're too smart, they're useful (except for the main character, the genius' play a significant role), and they do give him the facts he needs, they just can't put them together in the 'save the episode' way that he can. Essentially Humans are Special put in a setting we ourselves haven't gotten to yet.

Take another Sci Fi example and largely you'll find the same pattern. Even things like comics could be thrown under the umbrella of Sci Fi, but clearly use methods of actual science to explain things. Even HnG uses his method on occasion.

Quote:
it could be either or could be both. i leave it to people to choose which relationship is good for them.
I would agree with that, but add the point that Athena isn't teaching that. She's beating into Hayate that this is the only way to have a relationship, which is an antiquated way of thinking and is no longer valid.

Quote:
i will wait because i am in no position to diagnose someone's abilities. things like these require years of training, certification, licenses, etc. the most i can do is to suspect and refer them to good pros [by pros i do not mean the quacks on tv].
Quote:
---Nagi was called a 'genius' by Maria because she was an extremely fast learner. At the age of 7, Nagi beat all of her tutors in every game such as in chess,and claimed that none of them was smart enough to teach her, with the only exception being Maria. Yes, that's a genius level that none of the other four you spoke of had shown.

---Maria was called a 'true genius' by the robot-creator-teacher with the same exceptionally intellectual capability as Nagi, but Maria is ever better thant Nagi with her entered high school at 10 and graduated at 13. Never lost in a game.

---Athena was called the 'greatest genius' by Miki because well..I would also like to know what Athena did for Miki to put her above Maria.
Is it just me, or do those two statements contradict each other? Maria almost qualifies for naming Nagi a genius, except that the one who names her a genius is not qualified to do so, thus invalidating the entire matter.

So using your own statement, that normal people can't make a judgment about a person being a genius, we can't call anyone a genius, and neither can anyone within the manga because we've been given no hints that any of them are qualified for it, and thus this entire argument is invalidated.

Don't you just love when statements are put together like that Mc Glasses?

Last edited by Bastion_Arcion; 2011-02-07 at 22:02.
Old 2011-02-08, 01:12   Link #7759
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
I think you're turned around. Sci Fi is a fictional setting with scientific principles applied to it.
The story often is largely true, but put into another setting to keep from being to blatant about it and getting taken off of the air for insulting the government or someone.
How can a story be "largely true" if the events in the story had never happened before? That's quite impossible.

The word fiction was there because , like fantasy genre, the story was created from the author's imagination, not from reality, but with the integration of the current laws of nature and scientific ideas, or could possibly contradict them and established new laws that haven't exist, which many fantasy stories generally lack. Phenomenons like aliens, time-travels, superpower, physic, faster than the speed of light, parallel world had never occurred nor discovered and were never true. Stories can be considered true only after they had occurred in reality, which are those stories we called non-fictions.

The scientific principles that applied to those stories may be valid and some could possibly be achieved in the future, but not one of those science-fictions stories have been a true story.

Quote:
So using your own statement, that normal people can't make a judgment about a person being a genius, we can't call anyone a genius, and neither can anyone within the manga because we've been given no hints that any of them are qualified for it, and thus this entire argument is invalidated.
Sorry, but that's not my statement. That's ridgezipline's.

You quoted the facts, not merely hints...

Last edited by zodanhko; 2011-02-08 at 01:25.
Old 2011-02-08, 10:28   Link #7760
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
How can a story be "largely true" if the events in the story had never happened before? That's quite impossible.

The word fiction was there because , like fantasy genre, the story was created from the author's imagination, not from reality, but with the integration of the current laws of nature and scientific ideas, or could possibly contradict them and established new laws that haven't exist, which many fantasy stories generally lack. Phenomenons like aliens, time-travels, superpower, physic, faster than the speed of light, parallel world had never occurred nor discovered and were never true. Stories can be considered true only after they had occurred in reality, which are those stories we called non-fictions.

The scientific principles that applied to those stories may be valid and some could possibly be achieved in the future, but not one of those science-fictions stories have been a true story.
You win. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote:
Sorry, but that's not my statement. That's ridgezipline's.

You quoted the facts, not merely hints...
Twice.

Tags
comedy, shounen