AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-10-24, 17:06   Link #1
GarBhaD
Zetsubou shita!

Where to buy manga in Japanese?

I'm looking for a site to buy original manga in Japanese (you know, like raws).
All the online shops featured in the "Where to buy manga" thread only have manga in other languages (english, chinese, etc). But what about manga in Japanese (the originals!)?

After googling for online manga shops, I stumbled upon Animaxis, but I'm not sure if it's reliable. I looked for animaxis on animesuki but there were no matches.
Does anyone know something about it? Their prices look damn good...
Old 2004-10-24, 17:15   Link #2
AnimeFangirl

Did you already try www.sasugabooks.com? Overpriced, but Japanese. www.jpqueen.com is good for getting used Japanese manga online, though shipping might cripple you. Animaxis I have never heard of, but you can go ahead and be the guinea-pig if you want.
Old 2004-10-24, 17:18   Link #3
7thMethuselah

www.archonia.com sells japanese manga too, but only recent ones as far as I know
Old 2004-10-24, 17:24   Link #4
AnimeFangirl

Wow, archonia is even pricier than Sasugabooks. But it's a good way to get japanese manga if you're in Europe, GarBhaD.
Old 2004-10-24, 17:46   Link #5
TronDD
Team the box!

I've bought cels from Animaxis. They are a reputable company to deal with.

I usually buy my Japanese manga off Yahoo Japan, You can get sets of slightly older manga for a couple bucks a book. For example: There is an auction for the complete Narutaru, 12 books, for less than $15 USD. I bought Narutaru from Sasuga for like $10 a book.
Old 2004-10-24, 18:49   Link #6
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

You can have Archonia special order items. I asked them to add Mahoromatic manga (Japanese)
and they did it. Apart from the sites already mentioned, if you know a bit of Japanese (and with help
of the English counterpart), you can also try www.amazon.co.jp But be aware of the shipping costs...
Old 2004-10-24, 19:58   Link #7
AnimeFangirl

My main beef with all those places is that they have very little or no Hajime no Ippo merchandise. I don't think I've ever even SEEN an HnI poster, but they have tons of other pointless stuff. Catering to the "fanbois" as always. I'm going to try making a request at Archonia and let everyone know how it goes.
Old 2004-10-25, 05:44   Link #8
GarBhaD
Zetsubou shita!

Thanks for all your replies.
Archonia and SasugaBooks are too expensive! What kind of ripoff is that? Buying the same mangas translated on any shop around is a lot cheaper! (and without shipping costs). Plus they don't have older volumes and I'd like to get the complete series. I looked for FMA on archonia sometime ago and there wasn't a single search result. Now there are, but just the volume 6. What kind of online shop is that? Expensive and they don't even have the popular stuff? (Now don't tell me that hagaren isn't popular...). In jpqueen there are a couple of FMA volumes... and tons of doujinshi! 15$ each!!! Like I'm going to pay that much to read a fan-made Edward-Roy yaoi... :P

But I'm decided to get the originals without being swindled or becoming broke. Since TronDD says that Animaxis is reliable, they have everything I want and prices are very good, I'll give it a try. It comes directly from Japan and the shipping costs are pretty high though...

Edit: On the previous url, shipping costs follow the next pattern: Up to 100g: 2,200¥.
This means 2 thousand and 2 hundrer yens or 2 yens and 2 huncred cents? One is too cheap and the other too expensive so I can't figure it out. :P Here, we use comma to separate decimals and a dot for thousands, while I think that in the US it's the other way around.
The second option (2 yens) is closer to the shipping costs used by Play-Asia, which sends hardware from Hong-Kong with couriers. But since Tokyo is the most expensive city in the world... well, who knows.
Old 2004-10-25, 21:15   Link #9
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarBhaD
Edit: On the previous url, shipping costs follow the next pattern: Up to 100g: 2,200¥.
This means 2 thousand and 2 hundrer yens or 2 yens and 2 huncred cents? One is too cheap and the other too expensive so I can't figure it out. :P Here, we use comma to separate decimals and a dot for thousands, while I think that in the US it's the other way around.
The second option (2 yens) is closer to the shipping costs used by Play-Asia, which sends hardware from Hong-Kong with couriers. But since Tokyo is the most expensive city in the world... well, who knows.
2,200¥ is 2 thousand 2 hundred yen.

And, yes, the US is the "other way around" But since it takes more that 100 yen to equal 1 US dollar, you'll likely never see cents in Japanese prices. It's be like having fractions of a penny in the US.

EDIT: That can't be right. I don't remember shipping being that expensive but I guess cels weigh less than books.
Old 2004-10-26, 00:46   Link #10
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

I'd try www.amazon.co.jp as well... The site is in japanese, but the ordering forms can be set to english, and they have a large selection. You'll need to search for things in japanese however. Their prices are very good, but shipping is pretty damn expensive (about $20 for overseas), but if you buy enough volumes, it's cheaper then sasuga or other domestic import shops that charge way more per volume.
Sam Pinansky
Closed Thread