AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

View Poll Results: Madoka Magica - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 294 82.12%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 10.89%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 3.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 1.96%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 0.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.56%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.28%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 358. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-03-11, 02:07   Link #281
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarST View Post
Well, what actually changed in timeline 5? I can see a few major things:

- Homura knows she can't beat Walpurgis by herself

- Madoka knows the entire truth about QB

- QB is aware of Homura's time manipulation magic

I don't think there are any other major changes...what is hard to guess is how these will affect things.
- Homura learned how to mutually destroy current Magical Girls and Witches from Kyoko
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 02:09   Link #282
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Crow View Post
Homura could just repeat the timeline were she mercy killed Madoka and bring extra Grief Seeds. Sure, they're both still stuck in the system, MGs forever, but at least they can buy themselves so time.
I'm not sure Homura can actually bring anything back with her besides herself. She doesn't technically time travel in body, it's more like the movie Groundhog Day where it just repeats over and over until she figures out how to end it to satisfy what she wished for.

Part of my theory back in the episode 8 thread revolved around the idea that Homura could maybe give Present Madoka her Soul Gem from a Madoka of a previous time, however considering that each time ends with Madoka dead or a Witch, this seems improbable. However I don't discount the idea that Madoka from the present won't somehow gain powers from a previous time. The OP is such a tease, no?

My thinking atm is that this time line is already drastically altered compared to the previous ones, but there was something odd about the last two. In the time line previous to this (the one we see in Madoka's dream), Madoka shouldn't know who Homura is but she starts saying her name. In this time line, she has deja vu about Homura and in 8 she "blanks" after the deja vu (the static). So she's trying to remember a person who shouldn't exist in her time, or something is screwing with her memories.

In any case, yes, I firmly believe that for the show to end on any kind of a happy note there has to be a third option. I've believed this since the reveal of what the Soul Gem was back in 6. Besides, episode 10 is basically all the bad ends...so it wouldn't make sense for the last two episodes to rehash what we already know will happen if Homura fails. I posted earlier in the thread a rundown of what Homura's dilemma is and what her goals need to be to solve her wish. I'm just unsure of what plausible solution can be taken by using the current MG system, so I believe a loophole has to happen or the time line will just keep resetting.
Old 2011-03-11, 02:15   Link #283
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
She uses weapons because her only power is stopping time.
She can clearly shoot pink laser beams as well. She was about to, to kill Sayaka before Kyoko stopped her, and she's shooting them at QB, when she kills him the first time in the current timeline.

Why she uses that particular power so rarely...I don't know. Probably just an artistic reason.

Edit: Ok, I took a closer look. It's not a pink laser beam. It's a pink glowing ball she shoots. It moves fast enough to look like a laser beam. You have to look at the scene where she shoots QB with it and makes him explode from the impact frame by frame, but if you do, you can clearly see this glowing pink ball of energy hitting QB in the nose as his face crumples in from the impact.

Edit #2: Here's a still shot:

Spoiler for QB being shot by pink ball of doom:
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 02:17   Link #284
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I'm not sure Homura can actually bring anything back with her besides herself. She doesn't technically time travel in body, it's more like the movie Groundhog Day where it just repeats over and over until she figures out how to end it to satisfy what she wished for.
The fact that she can bring her own soul gem back indicates that possibly sou gems/magical girl powers exist outside of time. Otherwise, she'd need to contract with QB every single time.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 02:27   Link #285
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
The fact that she can bring her own soul gem back indicates that possibly sou gems/magical girl powers exist outside of time. Otherwise, she'd need to contract with QB every single time.
It does bring up an interesting question though. If a soul gem is supposed to be "them", then wouldn't Homura have two "selves"? The soul in her soul gem and the soul in her body.
Old 2011-03-11, 02:31   Link #286
garbage

AHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGG !!!

KILL KILL KILL KILLLLLLL QB!!!!!!!!!!!!

so that answers why homura's so jaded, no one would believe her, wow mami would even kill them, and madoka killed mami! ;( Homura's the shy friend aww. so different from her Mask. for a minute there when I saw mami, sayaka, kyoko all togther fighting I was HAPPY!!!. but its not to be since the MG system is fucked up as planned by QB T_T
and sayaka fated to be a witch? well on the other hand i guess all MGs are fated to become witches, because that's how QB planned it.
and i guess entropy Stays. and it's no lie. but it's obvious QB is lying when he said he's also doing it for humanity, he doesn't care if madoka the witch detroys the planet AS LONG AS IT GETS IT'S ENERGY QUOTA.

as i've said before he's no more than a low life scumbag, ENERGY THIEF.

- one note the wish it seems as confirmed by the episode comes from the GIRL'S power not QB, as when Homura contracted with QB, QB said the wish can be granted because Homura has the power in her for it. one more minus for QB. he doesn't bring much to the the contract table.

I so feel for Homura.. especially when she had to shoot madoka .

I gues this is the ANSWERS episodes, next episodes, will be about how to get out of the system.btw i liked the pacing i was on my seat's edge all thru the episode, waiting for what would happen next. or what new thing will come up or what homura will do next. 'twas great.

some thoughts before i rewatch and read the thread
garbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 02:32   Link #287
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
I actually just thought of a troll end scenario where Kyuubee turns to the audience and suggests that we in turn sign contracts with him if we object to what we've witnessed.
That'd be fucking awesome actually. There and then Urobuchi shows us the worst possible ending and then Kyuubee turns around and gives us the absolute complacent trollface while telling us we could very well wish to save the world from the witches we saw evolve/degenerate into witches through the course of the anime. "Umad humans?"... Not like we could do shit about it since a certain number of us would have to contract with him to save the world from Madoka and/or Homura witch form(s). Breaking the fourth wall like that (obviously, that's just a troll to let me recover by laughing/raging my hearts out after watching something full of despair) would skyrocket this show's ratings for me at least. Else it will be one sad end that could tick another depression episode... derp.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 02:34   Link #288
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
She can clearly shoot pink laser beams as well. She was about to, to kill Sayaka before Kyoko stopped her, and she's shooting them at QB, when she kills him the first time in the current timeline.

Why she uses that particular power so rarely...I don't know. Probably just an artistic reason.

Edit: Ok, I took a closer look. It's not a pink laser beam. It's a pink glowing ball she shoots. It moves fast enough to look like a laser beam. You have to look at the scene where she shoots QB with it and makes him explode from the impact frame by frame, but if you do, you can clearly see this glowing pink ball of energy hitting QB in the nose as his face crumples in from the impact.

Edit #2: Here's a still shot:

Spoiler for QB being shot by pink ball of doom:
Good catch. I was enjoying the exploding Kyubey.

That's a satisfying picture. It might be a newly discovered aspect of her power, who knows? She might have used it instead of traditional weaponry because of the location she was at. Bombs and guns don't typically go over well in populated areas, and it looks like this is the first time she's seen him have multiple bodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
True but she has to have her Soul Gem or she dies, so it has to go with her. It also enables her to have the power to go back in time in the first place. So while I'm not saying it isn't possible, it just seems very implausible.
Old 2011-03-11, 02:35   Link #289
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Madoka: I wish for the creation of a cat familiar that can turn magical girls back into normal humans.

*Madoka defeats Walpurgis Night*

*Madoka holds that cat in her hands happily as in the OP and wishes to be turned back into a normal human*

*Cat then does that for Homura as well*

What do people think?
Old 2011-03-11, 02:36   Link #290
Iromaru

I just wanted to say that this was likely the best executed episode in the history of anime.

I was speechless.
Iromaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 02:37   Link #291
sapphirearcz

Send a message via MSN to sapphirearcz
what a amazing episode! when the OP start rolling at the end, the first few lines of it really hit me hard, its not about madoka, its about homura's feelings!

Many Thanks to Klashikari for the sig!
sapphirearcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 02:42   Link #292
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

On a totally different tangent from all the serious talk that bogs down these threads, anyone else enjoy the little touches in this anime?

I especially loved how, in this episode, after Homura shows her power to Mami and Madoka in Round 2 by beating up a barrel with a golf club, she sits on a handkerchief, rather than directly on the cement ground. So cute. It's like barely a second of animation, but just goes to show the extra mile they go to add character to these...characters.
Old 2011-03-11, 02:44   Link #293
Jimmy C

It's highly possible anything Homura puts pocket space gets taken along when she resets.
I feel that there are two significant anomalies with the initial timelines compared to the rest.
One, how is it that Madoka had contracted a week prior to Homura transferring already in those timelines, yet remained uncontracted at the same point in later timelines? Did Homura just far enough back to prevent that original contracting?
Two, how is it Mami knew Walpurgis was going to show up with such certainty? In the current timeline, Kyoko didn't really believe Walpurgis' movements could be so easily predicted. So, what did Mami know that she didn't?
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 02:45   Link #294
Dawnbringerz
性転換団長

A few moments ago, when I finished watching the episode for the Nth time and suddenly the ground started shaking,

I screamed in my mind "OMG! Was that Walpurgis really coming to Japan, and the fighting is causing the earthquake"

Too bad it's just a normal earthquake though.
Dawnbringerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 02:48   Link #295
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by taofd View Post
I'm actually still on the fence. While I think that destroying an entire race is almost always considered an evil act, his intentions (from what we can see and take at face value) is not evil. Also his comment at the end is very strange. He asks Homura if she is going to continue to fight (almost with childlike innocence-- as if he cannot understand why she wouldn't continue to fight, even though her race will be destroyed). To him, it probably would be the most logical thing for him to do.
I was almost wondering if someone would STILL push this... hilarious ^_^

His _intentions_, as this episode proved, are 100% selfish. He had a quota to fulfil, he fulfilled it, and he doesn't give a rat's ass about the living beings he exploited, and whose genocide he facilitated. But hey, if even that's not evil to you, I doubt that anything ever could be.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 02:50   Link #296
taofd

What exactly did QB say around the 8 concerning Homura's wish? It sounds like he uses the mahou shoujou's power to make the wish.

Also, did anyone else realize that Homura can make "minor" wishes on her own, such as cure her eyesight? There are some similar implications here...

Also at 16:35 there are black ripples that occur when she says she'll go back in time however many times it takes... There's a sound associated as well- is that a sign lol?
taofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 02:57   Link #297
HandofFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by taofd View Post
What exactly did QB say around the 8 concerning Homura's wish? It sounds like he uses the mahou shoujou's power to make the wish.

Also, did anyone else realize that Homura can make "minor" wishes on her own, such as cure her eyesight? There are some similar implications here...
that wasn't a minor wish, just her using some of her magic power on her eyesight.
You see her hold her soul gem up to herself, and cures her eyesight, and in exchange you see the soul gem dim a bit (using up magic pts)
Old 2011-03-11, 02:58   Link #298
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
It's highly possible anything Homura puts pocket space gets taken along when she resets.
I feel that there are two significant anomalies with the initial timelines compared to the rest.
One, how is it that Madoka had contracted a week prior to Homura transferring already in those timelines, yet remained uncontracted at the same point in later timelines? Did Homura just far enough back to prevent that original contracting?
Two, how is it Mami knew Walpurgis was going to show up with such certainty? In the current timeline, Kyoko didn't really believe Walpurgis' movements could be so easily predicted. So, what did Mami know that she didn't?
Cue meme from Inception.

Regarding Walpurgis, perhaps QB told her? QB doesn't seem totally out of the loop even with regards to Homura's time travelling shenanigans. Perhaps in the original timeline, nobody knew about Walpurgis, hence QB told mami to set up the fight. However, later timelines, Homura most likely told them about it, so QB doesn't need to reveal this info.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 03:01   Link #299
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Also, I guess there's no actual mystery surrounding Homura's soul gem color. Should have realized a long time ago they couldn't make it black to match the color of her hair since that's the color of a grief seed.
Old 2011-03-11, 03:03   Link #300
Dawnbringerz
性転換団長

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I was almost wondering if someone would STILL push this... hilarious ^_^

His _intentions_, as this episode proved, are 100% selfish. He had a quota to fulfil, he fulfilled it, and he doesn't give a rat's ass about the living beings he exploited, and whose genocide he facilitated. But hey, if even that's not evil to you, I doubt that anything ever could be.
QB is only evil from human's perspective.
Without any race-based bias he is neither evil nor good.

He is just like a machine, doing things as programmed (turns girls into MG, collect energy, meet quota and leave). He can't even control the power he gives to MG, such as giving Homura time manipulation ability, which, in fact, is very dangerous to his plan.

Let's change the setting a little bit.

Let's say QB is a human, granting cats' wish and turning cats into Magical cats so that they would eventually turn into witch cat, giving energy to save humankind.

He doesn't care if he has to sacrifice all of the cat population to achieve his goal, because he is just only a heartless human trying to fulfilling his duty to save humankind.

Is he evil now?

Yes, if you are a cat
No, if you are a human

Simply put, he can't be judged.

You people need to stop looking from human's perspective.
Dawnbringerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
madoka magica, time travel