AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Full Metal Panic

Notices

Old 2011-04-21, 09:07   Link #1
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

FMP - Technology Discussion (Black Technology, Arm Slaves, Lambda Driver, etc)

The purpose of this thread is to discuss the technology of Full Metal Panic. Feel free to discuss about the Arm Slaves (models such like ARX series, M9, Codarl/Venom, etc), devices (Lambda Driver), weapons, power suits (Bonta-kun suit for instance) and so forth.

Thread Guidelines
  • If required, please use spoiler tags (with appropriate titles) if your comments are based on the latest episode or raws (or any non-anime source).
    [spoiler=episode number]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
    Please include the episode number or some such title in the spoiler tag (spoiler=episode number) since it at least helps others to identify if they may or may not have seen that particualr episode. A spoiler without such a title is almost as bad as no spoiler since accidents do occur and it isn't rare for people to use spoiler tags in order to save space instead of hiding spoilers.
  • If you wish you can also discuss appropriate topics based on the Light Novel, but again it would be advisable to use spoiler tags if you do so.
    [spoiler=Light Novel, volume *]text[/spoiler]

Please remember that a sizable part of the Light Novel wasn't covered by the anime adaptations at all, so be very careful when you are discussing about major new AS from the LN (please at least mention the title of the LN volume in the spoiler tags, etc).

• Please keep discussion about plot and storylines in the relevant Episode Discussion threads, not here.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members and try and keep the discussion on topic and above all, enjoy.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2011-04-25 at 09:15.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 20:35   Link #2
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Glad it's here. Now we have some place to talk about.

Like...

Spoiler for Stuff:

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 03:55   Link #3
Miles Teg

When speaking about the novel don't forget to put the title of the novel in the title of the spoiler tag.
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 09:04   Link #4
Illsteir
ARX-Fake

I was wondering what kind of material the "Hair" or cooling wires of the Codarl and...
Spoiler for "Have Red":
...are made of. It's flexible enough to move like actual hair in that scale but strong enough to withstand an attack from a rifle (Gauron Vs Kurz, 1st season).

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
Glad it's here. Now we have some place to talk about.

Like...

Spoiler for Stuff:
Spoiler for Pilot Suit:

Last edited by Illsteir; 2011-04-25 at 09:16.
Illsteir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 20:09   Link #5
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Miles

- I was speaking of the Sigma manga actually. But oh well...

Illsteir

- Guess so. I won't be surprised if it can stop a knife.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2011-08-06, 21:44   Link #6
Illsteir
ARX-Fake

I have a theory regarding the AS-1.
Spoiler for Possible fate of the ARX-8:

Last edited by Illsteir; 2011-08-07 at 00:01. Reason: spoiler title
Old 2011-08-07, 00:09   Link #7
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I just want to know how can a giant AS like Behemoth became such a threatening existence? When logic is applied, that AS has so many flaws (lambda driver aside):

First, since it only has 2 legs there's a huge balance issues. One blast to it's body, and it will be crumbling like a demolished building (unless it has lambda driver shield).

Logically speaking, once it down, it'll never be able to get back up on it's own.

The energy needed to move it alone will be enough to launch a shuttle to space. So, it's not really efficient.

Since it's so big, it's only natural that it's so slow. So, it wont be very useful in close combat against smaller & faster AS. Heck, if they use jets, it wont be last a minute.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-07, 00:32   Link #8
Illsteir
ARX-Fake

The Lambda driver is not only used for creating force fields. In the Behemoth's case, it can also manipulate the AS's observable mass. Hence, the power required to move it may not be that much and it also solves the balance issue.

Also, the best way to destroy it, like all Lambda Driver equipped Armslaves, is through surprise attacks. The pilot may not be able to create a field fast enough if he's caught off guard.
Spoiler for COMO:

Last edited by Illsteir; 2011-08-07 at 01:08.
Old 2011-08-07, 00:54   Link #9
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Yeah, It's surprising how useless Behemoth is once you take Lambda Driver out of the equation.

Agreed, I've read that chapter. Surprise attacks does work on Behemoth's slow reaction. Also, any missiles can work too if only Behemoth doesn't use radar.
Old 2011-08-07, 01:07   Link #10
Illsteir
ARX-Fake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Also, any missiles can work too if only Behemoth doesn't use radar.
With its size, I'll be surprised they couldn't squeeze in one.
Old 2011-08-07, 02:06   Link #11
Miles Teg

Quote:
Yeah, It's surprising how useless Behemoth is once you take Lambda Driver out of the equation.
It's like saying that a car is useless when you remove the engine

The Behemoth need the Lambda driver to operate without it it's just a chunk of metal that can't even stand up, and because of that when analysing the Behemoth the LD can't be remove from the equation.
Old 2011-08-07, 02:47   Link #12
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Do we know if the AS-1 has a Lambda Driver? Or any of the AS in the roughly 2011 time frame for that matter, since the M9 seems to be the standard model now were it was the experiamental trails version were the United States was concerned.

Has the United States moved on to 4th generation Arm Slaves? (what is the difference between 3rd and 4h generation AS anyway?) The AS-1 would seem to be be the Japanese model of the M9...at least from what little I can see. Or a home made AS based on the M9.

Also I would love a world map from Full Metal Panic.
Old 2011-08-07, 04:20   Link #13
Illsteir
ARX-Fake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Has the United States moved on to 4th generation Arm Slaves? (what is the difference between 3rd and 4h generation AS anyway?) The AS-1 would seem to be be the Japanese model of the M9...at least from what little I can see. Or a home made AS based on the M9.
As far as I know, the term Fourth Generation was never used.

The Belial, from my observation, is still within the 3rd generation class. Remove the Lambda Driver and we'll get an AS that's on par or slightly better than the M9. The battle between that cheater and the Laevatein in Yamsk 11 and Merida Island showed what it's capable of without the magical hax device.

The US army has just been using third generation armslaves for the past ten years. Jumping to the fourth generation class this early not believable. They may be working on the theories and technologies to produce the fourth generation class but it's probably in its infancy stage - likely that it's still on paper.

As for the AS-1. It really looks like it is Japan's attempt at making their own third generation AS. HS said it's the fist nationally made AS and it has a large red circle on its left shoulder armor.

Last edited by Illsteir; 2011-08-07 at 07:33. Reason: added stuff
Old 2011-08-07, 11:26   Link #14
HunterSeeker
The Spirit of Steel

Location: HKSAR, PRC, Asia, The Earth, The Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.
Send a message via MSN to HunterSeeker
To be completely honest, 3rdGen AS right now are, IMO, the limit of Arm Slaves when not putting LDS in. 3rdGen AS like M9 are basically "complete form" over 2ndGen because they can support newer electronics, better armoured while being lighter, equiped with fusion reactors and, most importantly, the closest resemblence to "humanoid" land fighting machines. Of course as shown in BOMF some advantages of 2ndGen over 3rdGen, but they're probably mutually exclusive. Just think about the scene of Sousuke's Crossbow pushing debris away while it pinned that M9: their inner mechanics to outer design theories are completely different.

My thought of possible 4thGen movement? Variable AS, but that was proved failure since 1st-2ndGen; or few-in-one weapon packs.
HunterSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-07, 12:14   Link #15
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

So, 2nd gen AS is like cars in the 50s-60s with stronger body and the 3rd gen AS is like nowadays cars with more agile body albeit far more fragile?

Hmm...make sense.

Quote:
It's like saying that a car is useless when you remove the engine

The Behemoth need the Lambda driver to operate without it it's just a chunk of metal that can't even stand up, and because of that when analysing the Behemoth the LD can't be remove from the equation.
LOL, I know that. I just assume that some LD-equipped AS can still be very much a threat even without LD (using normal engine) like the Codarl and Venom, unlike Behemoth.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2011-08-07 at 13:32.
Old 2011-08-07, 13:55   Link #16
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Maybe the Behemoth was an experiament to see what the Lambda Driver could do.
Old 2011-08-07, 15:56   Link #17
Miles Teg

Quote:
LOL, I know that. I just assume that some LD-equipped AS can still be very much a threat even without LD (using normal engine) like the Codarl and Venom, unlike Behemoth.
The Behemoth was build from the ground up with the Lambda Driver in mind unlike the other AS that use the frame of existing one (Zy-98 Shadow and XM9). If you take the ARX-7 and remove the LD you have a M9D Falke so it's normal that the AS is still a threat, but remove the data-link from the ARX-8, even with its LD, a M6 with ECS can probably kick its ass
Old 2011-08-11, 18:10   Link #18
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

I'll never forget how Belfangan was able to kick Sousuke's little mechanical butt back then in their Arm Slaves. I was surprised when I was it in TSR.

Old 2011-08-26, 00:36   Link #19
zensor

hmm.. I liKE

Last edited by zensor; 2011-09-01 at 00:06.
zensor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-13, 11:30   Link #20
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Spoiler for IV - Episode 1: