Notices

Old 2011-12-20, 22:40   Link #61
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Only Peter Jackson knows.
Old 2011-12-20, 22:49   Link #62
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
Is there any concrete information about the material the second film will cover? Anything at all? At first I heard it was going to be background events that didn't explicitly occur in The Hobbit novel so much as in supplementary materials, but who knows if that had any truth.
Actually I can make a semi educated guess to one small portion from the trailer.

They show a scene in the trailer of a conversation between Thorin and Gandalf in Bilbo's house before everyone has set off. This is not in the The Hobbit per se, but was written up by Tolkien elsewhere and published in ... erm ... I think "The Book of Lost Tales Vol. 2"?

So if nothing else the movie will incorporate that material in the narrative.

Of course, we do not know if that footage will be in the theatre release version. The Lord of the Rings trilogy had something like 3 different versions of the trilogy that were put up for sale, each having a little more content than previous versions. Maybe that scene with that conversation bewteen Gandalf and Thorin will only show up in later releases?
Old 2011-12-20, 22:59   Link #63
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Actually I can make a semi educated guess to one small portion from the trailer.

They show a scene in the trailer of a conversation between Thorin and Gandalf in Bilbo's house before everyone has set off. This is not in the The Hobbit per se, but was written up by Tolkien elsewhere and published in ... erm ... I think "The Book of Lost Tales Vol. 2"?

So if nothing else the movie will incorporate that material in the narrative.

Of course, we do not know if that footage will be in the theatre release version. The Lord of the Rings trilogy had something like 3 different versions of the trilogy that were put up for sale, each having a little more content than previous versions. Maybe that scene with that conversation bewteen Gandalf and Thorin will only show up in later releases?
Well that would be in the first movie though, right?

The content of the second movie however, is so far a mystery.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 23:11   Link #64
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Well that would be in the first movie though, right?

The content of the second movie however, is so far a mystery.
I would assume so, yes - unless the scene is used as a flashback in movie 2 to emphasize some point or other.

The wiki page for the Hobbit movie
has quite a bit of info already, and reading a little "between the lines" on the page can give some further hints.

For example there is an actor for Radagast the Brown - Gandalf only recounted his meeting with Radagast in The Hobbit iirc, but the movie will show it. Stuff like that. I am sure there are lots of things which could be dug up on even a cursory reading.
Old 2011-12-20, 23:21   Link #65
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

What the Dwarves were singing,

Spoiler for just in case:

Quote:
Is there any concrete information about the material the second film will cover? Anything at all? At first I heard it was going to be background events that didn't explicitly occur in The Hobbit novel so much as in supplementary materials, but who knows if that had any truth.
I know this much for sure, and it was shown a bit in this trailer..

Spoiler for you're right:
Old 2011-12-20, 23:23   Link #66
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Endless Soul ... I somehow thought the staff and explosion of light scene was turning the trolls to stone.

Could be wrong though!
Old 2011-12-20, 23:28   Link #67
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:

For example there is an actor for Radagast the Brown - Gandalf only recounted his meeting with Radagast in The Hobbit iirc, but the movie will show it. Stuff like that. I am sure there are lots of things which could be dug up on even a cursory reading.
If I remember correctly (I am somewhat old after all) he was talked about only briefly in The Hobbit and was mentioned again in The Lord of the Rings.
Old 2011-12-20, 23:30   Link #68
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Endless Soul ... I somehow thought the staff and explosion of light scene was turning the trolls to stone.

Could be wrong though!
Hmmm, you might be right. I know in the book Gandalf kept the trolls arguing among themselves until daybreak. I don't remember him using his staff. Perhaps this is changed in the movie?

Either way, I'm not sure I can wait an entire YEAR to see this!
Old 2011-12-20, 23:34   Link #69
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
What the Dwarves were singing,

Spoiler for just in case:

Sigh. I guarantee younger me would've known that. But it's been forever since I've been "in" Middle-earth, and I'm ashamed to say I didn't recognize the song when I heard it.

Quote:
I would assume so, yes - unless the scene is used as a flashback in movie 2 to emphasize some point or other.

The wiki page for the Hobbit movie
has quite a bit of info already, and reading a little "between the lines" on the page can give some further hints.

Obviously PJ is taking liberties with the story like that, but I couldn't care less after what he gave us ten years ago. So even adding a completely new character like the elf Evangeline Lily is playing doesn't phase me.

Quote:
Hmmm, you might be right. I know in the book Gandalf kept the trolls arguing among themselves until daybreak. I don't remember him using his staff. Perhaps this is changed in the movie?

Well, at least it gives us time plenty of time to reread all the books again if we need it (I need it )
Old 2011-12-20, 23:34   Link #70
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
If I remember correctly (I am somewhat old after all) he was talked about only briefly in The Hobbit and was mentioned again in The Lord of the Rings.
Correct - in The Hobbit he was only mentioned in passing. (Among other things Beorn knew of him, if you remember.) In LotR Radagast was unknowingly used by Saruman to get Gandalf to come to Orthanc and as a result Gandalf was imprisoned at the top.

Quote:

Yes - he did not use his staff when the "Dawn take you all, and be stone to you!" statement was said ... but maybe it has been "Hollywood'ized" a bit - like the confrontation between Saruman and Gandalf before the latter was imprisoned atop Orthanc in LotR. No "action" is mentioned in the book per se, but it was shown in Jackson's trilogy.

You are correct about the Dwarven song portion being shown referring to the time when Smaug settled on Erebor for the first time....
Old 2011-12-20, 23:49   Link #71
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Correct - in The Hobbit he was only mentioned in passing. (Among other things Beorn knew of him, if you remember.) In LotR Radagast was unknowingly used by Saruman to get Gandalf to come to Orthanc and as a result Gandalf was imprisoned at the top.

Yes - he did not use his staff when the "Dawn take you all, and be stone to you!" statement was said ... but maybe it has been "Hollywood'ized" a bit - like the confrontation between Saruman and Gandalf before the latter was imprisoned atop Orthanc in LotR. No "action" is mentioned in the book per se, but it was shown in Jackson's trilogy.

You are correct about the Dwarven song portion being shown referring to the time when Smaug settled on Erebor for the first time....
Yes...yes it's all starting to come back now. It's been a number of years since I read the book, although I've read it numerous times. You know, it was The Hobbit that really got me interesting in reading. I mean, I read books before, but as a 8 (or was it 9?) year old, this book was the one that really grabbed me and made me eager to find out what happened next. Like I said, I've read it many times since then, along with numerous readings of The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Silmarilion at least three times.

I wonder how they'll handle the Great Goblin? Being plucked out of the trees by the Great Eagles with wargs nipping at their heels? The Battle of Five Armies? The Rush, Bard and the Black Arrow?

I need to read this book again, soon!
Old 2011-12-20, 23:54   Link #72
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

The wiki page shows that there is an actor for Thorin's father Thrain. In The Hobbit and the stories around that time the only time Thrain pops up is when Gandalf unexpectedly finds him imprisoned in the dungeons of the Necromancer before the narrative of the Hobbit starts up. Without going down all those rabbit holes atm, I would not be surprised if some of the trailer footage showing Gandlaf walking around in the dark with a lighted staff might be showing him searching and finding Thrain - perhaps in a flashback associated with when he hands over the map to Thorin at Bag End?

If so that would be another scene shown that was not shown in the book.
Old 2011-12-20, 23:57   Link #73
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well recall that The Hobbit was a children's novel. But if you add in all the things that surrounded it in relation to what would happen in the Lord of the Rings...it becomes something much different, yet has the same story.
Old 2011-12-21, 00:01   Link #74
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well recall that The Hobbit was a children's novel. But if you add in all the things that surrounded it in relation to what would happen in the Lord of the Rings...it becomes something much different, yet has the same story.
Yes.

The narrative style was intended more for children, to be sure. But in actuality the events going on were inextricably tied into the trilogy, and there were many moments equally as dark that were detailed some by JRRT elsewhere.

Point being - I think Jackson will do a fine job in making this production very much "part of the same beast" as his work in the trilogy by bringing out those unmentioned darker background material and elements.
Old 2011-12-21, 00:07   Link #75
Xagzan

And frankly I would love to see a scene in Dol Goldur.
Old 2011-12-21, 01:13   Link #76
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

It is well known that the original Hobbit was re-written to incorporate elements that was introduced in LotR. This was essentially what the intro conversation of the trailer was telling us. So it is not unusual that Peter Jackson gets to do the same with the film version.

The Hobbit was not meant to be an Epic when it was conceived. But it IS now.
Old 2011-12-21, 09:34   Link #77
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Though Tolkien had been tinkering with his legendarium before even The Hobbit. The origins of The Silmarillion can be traced almost 15-20 years earlier. I'm all for them adding whatever little extra bits from The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales. Perhaps maybe some backstory onto Durin's Folk. I am also eager to see Thranduil and Bard on the big screen.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 10:13   Link #78
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Watched the trailer. Loved. Every. Single. Seconds. Of It.

God I hope he delivers again, and have set his eyes on the story of Tùrin Turambar.
Old 2011-12-21, 10:45   Link #79
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Watched the trailer. Loved. Every. Single. Seconds. Of It.

God I hope he delivers again, and have set his eyes on the story of Tùrin Turambar.
I don't see what he can do with Tùrin . His story is such a downer.
Old 2011-12-21, 12:49   Link #80
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Some of my favorite movies are downers.

So I won't even have a problem with that if a competent director like Jackson picked it up.

Tags
movie