AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-31, 10:05   Link #101
Sunder the Gold

Do Yuuno's rate of recovery and his performance during the first season (or first and second) even require such an explanation?
Old 2011-12-31, 13:33   Link #102
Hayate22
TSAB Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Hayate22 Send a message via MSN to Hayate22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Again, there is no mention of it in the StrikerS sound stage where the Forwards come to Earth.

If there was ANY sort of mention to it, it should have been made then.

Or are you telling me that Teana, Subaru, Erio and Caro would be used to different "atmospheres" of magic and could easily adjust?

Note that this is fairly early on in the series too.

As for Yuuno himself, I would have accepted "I nearly burned my Linker Core out, got hurt physically and didn't recover properly" as to why he wasn't too good in Season 1.
They did go to Earth in the StrikerS Sound Stage 1. It's during the first few tracks that this is mentioned. They make a mention about doing some things on Unadministrated Planet 97, Earth. Subaru and Teana also meet Nanoha's Mother who they mentioned is very young looking. It's a mission they were doing cause of some strange activity on earth. The Forwards also meet Arisa and Suzuka.

Track 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uB6e...AC807AC7394882
Track 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjwAx...AC807AC7394882

If you doubt me. Go find the Sound Stage translations done by Nagumo-san. She translated most or all of the soundstages already.
Here is the thread: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=85192
Old 2011-12-31, 14:06   Link #103
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Maybe, as an alternate universe, that thing about Mana changes is only true in the MOVIE manga canon?

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-12-31, 14:48   Link #104
Hayate22
TSAB Enforcer

3 TV series anime + Sound stages + the majority of the various Nanoha mangas = 1 version of the Nanoha-verse

Movie Manga + Movies = retelling of the Nanoha-verse, or another variation.

Games = Another retelling of the Nanoha A's arc, possibly of the StrikerS, Vivid, and Force series.

Most fans do not apply one variation's rules and logic on another no matter how similiar they are. Most of the time fans will keep them separate to enjoy the series more and not overanalyze things.
Old 2011-12-31, 15:00   Link #105
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayate22 View Post
Movie Manga + Movies = retelling of the Nanoha-verse, or another variation.
It's worth mentioning that the Movies and the Movie mangas are also two separate continuities despite the strong similarities.

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-12-31, 15:02   Link #106
Hayate22
TSAB Enforcer

Which I'm corrected as I just remembered movie manga version of Nanoha going through a bit more personal angst every so often.
Old 2011-12-31, 18:17   Link #107
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Then how come no one, and I mean NO ONE, ever mentions it for any other planet at all?

Because it's something that's made up in order to "justify" why things happened in the movie and it's never brought up in canon, that's why.
And I've never heard of food allergies other than from the internet. If I ever met someone with it, he or she didn't mention it.

Yes, it's made up. Everything is made up - it's a fictional story of alien humans and magic. Where ten-years-old little girls wind up being more relevant than veteran soldiers. And that's where you want to stop suspending your disbelief? If it bothers you so much, tell yourself he got the flu or something.
Old 2011-12-31, 18:20   Link #108
Sunder the Gold

I'm not a moderator, but I feel this discussion has gone beyond the bounds of Q&A and should go to the Theories and Speculation, Magic and Technology, Original Season or First Movie thread, if it's going to continue.
Old 2011-12-31, 19:11   Link #109
Hayate22
TSAB Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
I'm not a moderator, but I feel this discussion has gone beyond the bounds of Q&A and should go to the Theories and Speculation, Magic and Technology, Original Season or First Movie thread, if it's going to continue.
Like Sunder the Gold, I feel this discussion just turned into as such.

Nanya01: You should probably move this to another thread where it is appropriate because now it's turned from a simple question to something else.

Also alternate variations of one series can also have alternate sub-issues involved. In one variation, the whole "mana field" on one planet may be an issue to someone who is used the the "mana field" on another. But in a different variation, BOTH "mana fields" can be very similiar and not be an issue overall.

Again, you cannot apply one variation on another. Some things are sometimes changed to suit the situation it is in. The Movie, by itself doesn't mention this, the Movie Manga, which is a different one, does. Again, different variations of the same material.

This is the same when light novels are adapted into manga or anime. There will be deviations or alterations to suit the material it's being adapted to. Remember this fact.
Old 2012-01-13, 19:31   Link #110
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Trying to steer this discussion away from the movie 2nd thread and into here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Which could have been avoided with 1/4th the number of characters. Sure, some people may have liked the new characters, but there was such a huge excess of them in StrikerS, and a lot of them will never get development because they are simply not liked enough. Quality over quantity I say.

I think the Nanoha movie proved that the only reason StrikerS is the most popular of the three seasons, is because it was the franchises most recent installment. The Nanoha movie sales were better than any season and it was a remake of the season which did the worst. A's had a huge hurdle to overcome, because the first season was not taken too highly, meanwhile, strikers was a direct sequel to a great season.
One thing I think is great about this types of discussions, is that it highlights the fact that people like or dislike Nanoha based on their tastes. The stories themselves are fairly good, no major holes, just minor issues here and there. So some people can dislike StrikerS, while others like it.

Myself, I liked StrikerS. Yeah, it had a lot of characters, and some could have used more development, but I think it succeeded fairly well at what it set out to do: expand the in-story universe. And show how our girls have grown up and developed in this world. The story was entertaining, too, and the last few episodes are the best I've ever scene. I can't count the number of times I've rewatched Nanoha blasting Quattro, and Zest's death with Agito crying "Danna!"

Force and Vivid I like for different reasons; Force has more of an interesting and involving story that I find myself eager to see what happens next. And Vivid has greatly expanded magical styles and a bit of lore. Both also have bad points (Vivid having more of them), but given what's out there, Nanoha in general is fairly good, even when it's at it's worst.

The movies, on the other hand, I feel are actually not quite as a good. They are a decent watch, but it feels like, trying to up the quality, meant the quantity suffered. You need a good blend of both, but a lot of it is subjective. I just felt the first film took the first season's most glaring flaw (lack of explanation of Nanoha's family and past) and just made that flaw bigger.

So it's not a simple matter of quality or quantity. It's subjective to a large degree, but the Nanoha series as a whole, added a whole lot of interesting concepts they introduced to the magical girl genre, and to anime in general, that really make them good stories... even if the stories aren't your particular cup of tea.
Old 2012-01-13, 22:57   Link #111
Key Board
Carbon

To me StrikerS had one problem. It seems to lack one clear focus.
It had a bit too many conflicting storytelling elements.

Compare this to the first series and A's which focus was a lot clearer in comparison.

Thus, my suggestion on how to improve StrikerS:

It should have been Nanoha StarS instead of Nanoha StrikerS

Just focus on JS, cyborgs, Teana and Subaru, and the whole drama about Quint.
Drop Erio, Caro, Lutecia, and Vivio
Stay consistent with the anti-magic/machine over magic theme

If they really wanted those other characters, save that for another season.

Of course doing all of the above would have made Subaru the real heroine of StrikerS, and.. I suppose... they didn't want to do that... too bad...
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2012-01-14, 00:05   Link #112
Sunder the Gold

We're talking about things that could be trimmed out to improve StrikerS in this thread, at the moment:

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showt...=212437&page=6

I think you could get away with keeping all of the Numbers, Forwards, Lutecia, Zest and Vivio if you simply remove the Gadget Drones. Instead of the robots, the Numbers would appear from the very beginning to collect the Relics.

Including the one incident that led to Nanoha getting badly injured. Which would serve to create a dramatic connection and tension between Vita and at least one of the numbers; perhaps Tre.

Signum and Zafira could also get Designated Worthy Opponents to fight, among the Numbers. And Nove could be made more competent and powerful to serve as a proper foil to Subaru and Ginga.

Using only the Numbers to bring down Nanoha and successfully collect Relics establishes them as a credible threat and presents more opportunities to develop their characters.

The Gadget Drones would instead be used only when Jail needs a much larger force to get a job done, such as the attack on the central complex and Riot Force Six, and then later when he gets the Cradle up and running.

The Relics would finally get a proper use and point in the story. First of all, they serve as practice and training for his daughters, and proof of their effectiveness.

Second, the Relics are a distraction from his main objective. Everyone will get so focused on what he wants to do with a bunch of powerful batteries (which are less powerful than Jewel Seeds, but far more controllable) that they don't expect that he's REALLY waiting for a clone or planning something as big as the Saint's Cradle.

Third, after he has the clone and the Cradle, any Relics that he managed to grab will be used to power up Super Gadget Drones, to provide his Numbers with more adequate back up than the disposable rank and file robots.

Using only the Numbers at first allows the series to focus on the character interactions which are half of the point of Lyrical Nanoha.

Using the robots later serves the same purpose as Presea's robots and the Defense Program of earlier seasons... giving the heroes something guilt-free to destroy in spectacular fashions.
Old 2012-01-14, 00:10   Link #113
GaelicDragon

Send a message via AIM to GaelicDragon
Had a thought while chewing the fat with Old Iron...

Was watching an episode of Agga Ruter at the same time...

then it showed the Agga Ruter's main weapon in use...and all of the sudden, the fear of a "mass weapon" all of the sudden made sense.

What if it wasn't the "mass" that was the feared part of the equation...

What if it was the use of anti-matter that Belka was starting to use in small doses (still in experimental stage). Something like a first generation generator and containment field that went horribly wrong. Or was sabotaged.
Old 2012-01-14, 03:49   Link #114
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Its been proven through strikers with gas exemptions that magic can manipulate particles, it would stand to reason anything to do with physics can be controlled with magic

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2012-01-14, 07:55   Link #115
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
I think you could get away with keeping all of the Numbers, Forwards, Lutecia, Zest and Vivio if you simply remove the Gadget Drones. Instead of the robots, the Numbers would appear from the very beginning to collect the Relics.
This. The Drones were an excuse to have some faceless battles to make things go boom, but they lacked character and took space that could be given to developing the Numbers.

Though it is possible to keep them, as long as the Numbers appear from the very start to lead them.
Old 2012-01-14, 13:23   Link #116
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Quote:
We're talking about things that could be trimmed out to improve StrikerS in this thread, at the moment:

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showt...=212437&page=6

Including the one incident that led to Nanoha getting badly injured. Which would serve to create a dramatic connection and tension between Vita and at least one of the numbers; perhaps Tre.

Signum and Zafira could also get Designated Worthy Opponents to fight, among the Numbers. And Nove could be made more competent and powerful to serve as a proper foil to Subaru and Ginga.

Using only the Numbers to bring down Nanoha and successfully collect Relics establishes them as a credible threat and presents more opportunities to develop their characters.

The Gadget Drones would instead be used only when Jail needs a much larger force to get a job done, such as the attack on the central complex and Riot Force Six, and then later when he gets the Cradle up and running.

The Relics would finally get a proper use and point in the story. First of all, they serve as practice and training for his daughters, and proof of their effectiveness.

Second, the Relics are a distraction from his main objective. Everyone will get so focused on what he wants to do with a bunch of powerful batteries (which are less powerful than Jewel Seeds, but far more controllable) that they don't expect that he's REALLY waiting for a clone or planning something as big as the Saint's Cradle.

Third, after he has the clone and the Cradle, any Relics that he managed to grab will be used to power up Super Gadget Drones, to provide his Numbers with more adequate back up than the disposable rank and file robots.

Using only the Numbers at first allows the series to focus on the character interactions which are half of the point of Lyrical Nanoha.

Using the robots later serves the same purpose as Presea's robots and the Defense Program of earlier seasons... giving the heroes something guilt-free to destroy in spectacular fashions.
Drones are predecessors to Raptors tho, well, so are the numbers

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2012-01-14, 13:59   Link #117
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by itanshi1 View Post
Drones are predecessors to Raptors tho, well, so are the numbers
Basically, they have the strenght and appearance of a combat cyborg but are mindless mooks like the Gadget Drones.

~The ASFB~
Old 2012-01-14, 15:05   Link #118
Sunder the Gold

New Topic!

Arf.

Know what Arf would have been doing before Fate put her on a bus? Helping Fate during her earlier Enforcer career.

Detective Dog Arf. With scrying spells learned from our resident archaeologist.

In fact, Arf could have easily continued in that role up to the point of StrikerS. It's not like Fate needs her full and undivided magical power for investigations. Even when making arrests (often with back up from other Enforcers or local law enforcement), the fighting wouldn't be so hard or last so long as to exhaust Fate's divided reserves, and having a Familiar as her partner would only be an advantage.

Arf could even keep fulfilling the role during StrikerS and afterwards, without ever needing to become a full time babysitter and part-time librarian.

And we'd be treated to a wiser, cannier Arf acting like an oneesan/sempai to Teana, which develops Arf's character in an interesting way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
This. The Drones were an excuse to have some faceless battles to make things go boom, but they lacked character and took space that could be given to developing the Numbers.
LOTS of pointless "machine on machine tentacle rape!" shots. Wasted time.

Quote:
Though it is possible to keep them, as long as the Numbers appear from the very start to lead them.
Either way, the Numbers needed to be involved at least as soon as the first episode, and preferably even for the attack that injured Nanoha all those years ago.
Old 2012-01-14, 16:36   Link #119
Mirron

Send a message via AIM to Mirron Send a message via MSN to Mirron
I'd make the attack on Nanoha done by Due, since I think that'd be a good surprise. Maybe have her appear as someone else, and we know there is a shapeshifter out there, but not what she's doing. Her appearance in StrikerS felt a touch abrupt. But yeah, I like the idea of cutting the drones importance and focusing on the Numbers. Maybe touch down on the number of them, since... well, it's somewhere along the lines of 16 or so on the enemy, which is a bit too much to really give them the attention they deserve.
Old 2012-01-14, 16:52   Link #120
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
To me StrikerS had one problem. It seems to lack one clear focus.
It had a bit too many conflicting storytelling elements.

Compare this to the first series and A's which focus was a lot clearer in comparison.

Thus, my suggestion on how to improve StrikerS:

It should have been Nanoha StarS instead of Nanoha StrikerS

Just focus on JS, cyborgs, Teana and Subaru, and the whole drama about Quint.
Drop Erio, Caro, Lutecia, and Vivio
Stay consistent with the anti-magic/machine over magic theme

If they really wanted those other characters, save that for another season.

Of course doing all of the above would have made Subaru the real heroine of StrikerS, and.. I suppose... they didn't want to do that... too bad...
Two Words: Training Episodes.
Closed Thread